Edílson Pereira de Carvalho
Edílson Pereira de Carvalho (born August 4, 1962 in Brazil) is a former international football referee. Being a religious man, his pre-match ritual was to raise his two football cards (yellow and red), both personalized with the inscription Deus é Fiel, which means God is Faithful, and pray in the center of the pitch. He became notorious for his involvement in a match-fixing scandal. He is married and has a daughter, and currently lives in Jacareí, São Paulo.
He became an international referee in 2000, one year after he was appointed by Armando Marques, who was the president of the Brazilian Football Confederation Refereeing Commission at the time; he replaced referee Dacildo Mourão. He worked in important competitions such as Campeonato Brasileiro Série A, Campeonato Paulista, and international competitions such as Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamericana, but never refereed a Football World Cup match.
He was one of the main figures in the 2005 Brazilian football match-fixing scandal, where he received between R$10,000 and R$15,000 per fixed match. Eleven Brazilian National Championship matches refereed by him were annulled, and needed to be replayed. He was suspended on September 24, 2005, and was later was banned for life. He also faced charges of fraud, conspiracy and crimes against the economy. He confirmed that he committed those crimes, but stated that he only did so because he was R$40,000 in debt.
- "Todos os Árbitros Brasileiros que pertenceram ao Quadro internacional da FIFA". Associação Nacional dos Árbitros de Futebol. Archived from the original on September 28, 2007. Retrieved 2010-02-05.(Portuguese)
- "Jogos do Brasileiro estavam sendo manipulados por árbitros" (in Portuguese). Jornal de Uberaba. September 25, 2005. Archived from the original on July 6, 2011. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- Jogo sujo - Veja Online (retrieved on July 30, 2007) Archived February 16, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- Árbitro suspenso - Jornal Nacional (retrieved on July 30, 2007)
- Armando Marques levou Carvalho à Fifa e deve cair - Folha Online (retrieved on July 30, 2007)
- Cronologia do escândalo de arbitragem - Terra (retrieved on July 30, 2007)
- Custo para repetir jogos do Nacional chega a R$ 1,3 milhão - Folha Online (retrieved on July 30, 2007)