Edward H. Bastian
June 6, 1957
|Alma mater||St. Bonaventure University|
|Title||Chief Executive Officer of Delta Air Lines|
|Term||May 2, 2016 – present|
|Board member of||Aeroméxico, Atlanta Committee for Progress, Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce, Woodruff Arts Center, Virgin Atlantic Airlines|
Early life and education
Bastian grew up in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., the oldest of nine children. His father was a dentist; his mother, a dental assistant. The Bastians operated their dental practice from within the family home.
Bastian began his career as an auditor in New York at Price Waterhouse, now PricewaterhouseCoopers. During a 1981 annual review, he uncovered a $50 million fraud scheme involving ad powerhouse J. Walter Thompson. This prompted a U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission investigation, leaving many Price Waterhouse executives with marred careers. A few years later, he was named partner at age 31.
After Price Waterhouse, he served as Vice President at PepsiCo, where he managed international finances for its Frito-Lay snack division until 1998, when he joined Delta Air Lines as Vice President - Finance and Controller. In 2000, he was promoted to Senior Vice President – Finance and Controller.
Bastian left Delta in 2005 to become Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer at Acuity Brands. Six months later, at the request of then-Delta CEO Gerald Grinstein, he returned to the airline to serve as Chief Financial Officer. In 2007, he was appointed to President, a position he held until assuming the role of CEO in May 2016. His transition to CEO was the first time Delta had chosen a chief executive officer from within the company since 1987.
Awards and recognition
- In 2021, Bastian will assume the role of Chairman for the Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce.
- In 2018, Fortune named Bastian to its annual World's 50 Greatest Leaders list.
- On February 17, 2018, Georgia Governor Nathan Deal and the Georgia Historical Society inducted Bastian to the Georgia Trustees, the highest honor an individual can receive from the state of Georgia.
- In 2017, Bastian was recognized by Glassdoor as a Top CEO, based on employee reviews.
- In 2017, Bastian was honored by the Atlanta Business Chronicle as one of Atlanta's Most Admired CEOs.
- "Delta announces executive succession". Delta News Hub. Delta Air Lines. February 3, 2018. Retrieved December 17, 2018.
- Tully, Shawn (November 27, 2018). "Delta Buckles Up For Turbulence". Fortune. Retrieved December 17, 2018.
- Belcher, Mark (February 4, 2016). "St. Bonaventure grad to take over for Delta Air Lines CEO Anderson as he retires". WIVB-TV. Retrieved December 17, 2018.
- "Edward "Ed" Bastian". Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved December 17, 2018.
- Cohen, Brian. "Ed Bastian to Succeed Richard Anderson as Chief Executive Officer of Delta Air Lines". The Gate. BoardingArea. Retrieved December 17, 2018.
- "Edward Bastian Restructures Delta Into The "Winningest" Airline". Chief Executive. January 2, 2018. Retrieved December 17, 2018.
- Blau, Max (April 28, 2016). "Can new Delta CEO Ed Bastian continue the airline's success?". Atlanta. Retrieved December 17, 2018.
- "Bastian on list of candidates for Delta CEO job". www.tmcnet.com. 3 October 2006.
- AJC.com. June 20, 2016 https://www.ajc.com/blog/airport/things-know-about-delta-ceo-bastian/fJiR1xE49lSCTPpgyv5STO/. Retrieved December 28, 2018. Missing or empty
- Purcell, Amanda J. (April 5, 2016). "Poughkeepsie native named CEO of Delta Air Lines". Poughkeepsie Journal. Retrieved December 17, 2018.
- "Metro Atlanta Chamber Announces 2021 Chair And Launches New Digital Tool To Promote The Region". Metro Atlanta Chamber. November 29, 2018. Retrieved December 17, 2018.
- "The World's 50 Greatest Leaders". Fortune. April 19, 2018. Retrieved December 17, 2018.
- Simmons, Kenna; Percy, Susan (February 2018). "2018 Georgia Trustees". Georgia Trend. Retrieved December 16, 2018.
- "Highest Rated CEOs 2017". Glassdoor. Retrieved December 6, 2018.
- "Q&A with Ed Bastian, 2017 Most Admired CEO". Atlanta Business Chronicle. July 31, 2017. Retrieved December 17, 2018.