|Birth name||Edward Isaac Bickert|
|Born||November 29, 1932|
Hochfeld, Manitoba, Canada
|Died||February 28, 2019 (aged 86)|
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Associated acts||Moe Koffman, Boss Brass, Lorne Lofsky|
A native of Hochfeld, Manitoba, Bickert grew up in Vernon, British Columbia. When he was eight years old, he started playing guitar. He performed at country dances with his parents, who were musicians, his mother on piano, his father on fiddle. During the early 1950s, Bickert he worked as a radio engineer in Toronto.
Later, Bickert became a studio musician, recording as a sideman for Ron Collier, Moe Koffman, Phil Nimmons, and Rob McConnell and performed in a duo with Don Thompson and a trio with Thompson and Terry Clarke. He worked with American musicians when they toured in Toronto such as Ruby Braff, Paul Desmond, and Frank Rosolino. After playing in Japan with Milt Jackson, he recorded with Oscar Peterson, then Buddy Tate. He went on tour during the 1980s with McConnell, Koffman, and Peter Appleyard.
Bickert signed with Concord and recorded with Ernestine Anderson, Benny Carter, Rosemary Clooney, Lorne Lofsky, Dave McKenna, Ken Peplowski, and Neil Swainson. Lofsky was a member of his quartet in the 1980s and 1990s.
Awards and honors
- Juno Award for Best Jazz Recording, Sackville 4005 with Don Thompson, 1980
- Member of the Order of Canada, 1996
- 1976 Ed Bickert (PM)
- 1977 I Like to Recognize the Tune
- 1978 Ed Bickert/Don Thompson (Sackville)
- 1980 Dance to the Lady (Sackville)
- 1984 Bye Bye Baby (Concord Jazz)
- 1984 Mutual Street with Rob McConnell (Innovation)
- 1985 The Quartet of Ed Bickert and Lorne Lofsky and Friends (Unisson)
- 1990 This is New with Lorne Lofsky (Concord Jazz)
- 1994 Trio Sketches with Rob McConnell, Neil Swainson (Concord Jazz)
- 1994 Concord Duo Series Volume 7 with Bill Mays (Concord Jazz)
- 1997 Three for the Road with Rob McConnell, Don Thompson (Concord Jazz)
- 2000 Days Gone By with Sonny Greenwich (Sackville)
- 2000 Live at the Senator (Cornerstone)
- 2004 At the Garden Party (Sackville)
- 2017 With a Song in My Heart with Jane Hall (ArtistShare)
- Kernfeld, Barry (2002). Kernfeld, Barry (ed.). The New Grove Dictionary of Jazz. 1 (2nd ed.). New York: Grove's Dictionaries. p. 215. ISBN 1-56159-284-6.
- Hum, Peter (2 March 2019). "RIP, Ed Bickert | Ottawa Citizen". Ottawa Citizen. Retrieved 2 March 2019.
- "Search Awards". The JUNO Awards. Retrieved 15 January 2019.