Ed Chynoweth Trophy
|Given for||Top scorer in the Memorial Cup|
|Most recent||Mitchell Marner|
The Ed Chynoweth Trophy is awarded to the leading scorer at the Memorial Cup tournament. It was first awarded in 1996. In the case of a tie in points, the award is given to the player with the fewest games played. If they have played the same number of games, the award goes to the player with the most goals scored. The current holder is Micthell Marner who scored fourteen points in the 2016 Memorial Cup tournament.
No player has won the award twice. Amongst the three leagues, a player from the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) has won the award eight times, while players representing the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) has won it five times and Western Hockey League (WHL) has won the award four times. The WHL's Vancouver Giants and QMJHL's Hull/Gatineau Olympiqes and the Halifax Mooseheads have twice had one of their players win the award. Christian Dube and Nathan MacKinnon are tied with 13 points the highest winning total for the award, though they both fall short of the tournament record of 16 points set by Jeff Larmer of the Kitchener Rangers in 1982 and Guy Rouleau of the Olympiques in 1986.
The trophy is named after Ed Chynoweth, who was the president of the WHL from 1972 to 1996. He helped create the Canadian Hockey League (CHL) and served as its president from 1975 until 1996. Chynoweth was instrumental in the creation of the CHL, and as its president, he helped create Canadian junior hockey's scholarship program and organized the Memorial Cup into a tournament format. Chynoweth stepped down as WHL and CHL president in 1996 when he was awarded a WHL expansion franchise, the Edmonton Ice (now Kootenay Ice), a team he operated until his death in 2008. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame shortly after his death.
- "Induction showcase – Ed Chynoweth". Hockey Hall of Fame. Retrieved 2010-05-24.
- Parker, Jim (2009-05-25). "Hall named MVP". Windsor Star. Retrieved 2010-05-24.
- Bell, Aaron (ed.). 2009–10 OHL Media Guide. Ontario Hockey League. p. 169.
- "2010 Mastercard Memorial Cup Record Book" (PDF). Canadian Hockey League. p. 14. Retrieved 2010-05-24.
- "Ed Chynoweth Biography". Hockey Hall of Fame. Retrieved 2010-05-24.
- King, Patrick (2008-11-13). "A proud legacy". Rogers Sportsnet. Retrieved 2010-05-24.
- "Ed Chynoweth inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame". Western Hockey League. 2008-11-10. Archived from the original on November 1, 2014. Retrieved 2010-05-24.