Edmund 'Ed' Conway is the Economics Editor of Sky News, the 24-hour television news service operated by Sky Television, part of British Sky Broadcasting. He is based at Sky Centre in Osterley in West London. He is a former correspondent for the Daily Mail newspaper and the Economics Editor of the Daily Telegraph and the Sunday Telegraph newspapers. He became Sky News' first Economics Editor in 2011.
From 1993 to 1998, Conway was educated at the Oratory School, a Roman Catholic boarding independent school for boys in the village of Woodcote in Oxfordshire, followed by Pembroke College, Oxford, where he took an MA in English, and after having worked for several years, gained a Fulbright Scholarship to the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University in the United States, where he took an MPA (a Master's degree in Public Administration).
Life and career
Conway was formerly an economics correspondent for the Daily Mail newspaper, followed by the Economics Editor of the Daily Telegraph and the Sunday Telegraph newspapers. He joined Sky News in August 2011 as its first-ever Economics Editor, to cover the financial crisis and Great Recession, as well as the euro crisis. He has covered many stories, including the G20 plan for a Greek Euro currency default, to effectively default on half of its debt, and that the IMF had plans to double the size of its rescue fund. Among his many interviewees are the current managing director of the International Monetary Fund, Christine Lagarde, the current Chancellor of the Exchequer, George Osborne, and the Bank of England Governor Sir Mervyn King. During the early stages of the 2008 banking crisis, he was the first to reveal the Bank of England's plans to create additional money through quantitative easing, and to warn of the funding gap in the banking system which later led to the collapse of Northern Rock.
Conway is the author of 50 Economics Ideas You Really Need to Know, first published in September 2009. He is also releasing a new book in May 2014 called The Summit (The Biggest Battle of the Second World War).
- Sky News appoints Ed Conway as first economics editor Publisher: Press Gazette. Published: 6 July 2011. Retrieved: 28 March 2013.
- Notable Old Oratorians (1972-2009) - In the Arts and Media - Ed Conway Publisher: The Oratory School Society, Woodcote, Oxfordshire. Retrieved: 24 March 2013.
- Biographies - Ed Conway Publisher: Sky News Press Office. Retrieved: 24 March 2013.
- My Year at Harvard Publisher: the Daily Telegraph. Author: Edmund Conway. Published: 12 August 2011. Retrieved: 24 March 2013.
- Sky News' Ed Conway: Why the financial crisis is good news for economics journalism Publisher: The Press Gazette. Published: 4 December 2012. Retrieved: 24 March 2013.