Ed Dante is the pseudonym of Dave Tomar, a graduate of Rutgers now a freelance writer living in Philadelphia. The writer ignited controversy in the academic community when his article The Shadow Scholar appeared in the chronicle review section of The Chronicle of Higher Education.
The article detailed the writer’s experiences as a ghostwriter paid to help students cheat at every level of formal education. Dave Tomar claimed in his article that he had written nearly 5000 pages of scholarly literature in the last year including a master’s degree in cognitive psychology; a PhD in Sociology; and essays on history, cinema, labor relations, marketing, philosophy, ethics, and public administration. The writer claims to have assisted college, graduate and doctoral students by accepting money in exchange for writing their assignments over the course of a decade. The Shadow Scholar was met with extensive debate amongst students, educators, and parents. It became the most popularly commented-on article in the Chronicle Review’s history and brought wider attention to issues relating to student cheating, plagiarism, and academic integrity.
In March 2011, Ed Dante’s The Shadow Scholar received special citation by The National Awards For Education Reporting Association.
In 2012, Tomar wrote a book, also entitled The Shadow Scholar.
As of 2018, Dave Tomar writes for various online platforms, most notably the Huffington Post. The scope of his work includes music; politics; and education, including topics related to academic ghostwriting and essay mills.
- Tomar, Dave (2012-08-21). "An Academic Ghostwriter, the 'Shadow Scholar,' Comes Clean". Retrieved 28 August 2012.
- Dante, Ed (2010-11-19). "The Shadow Scholar - The Chronicle Review - The Chronicle of Higher Education". Retrieved 29 March 2011.
- "The College Cheating Culture - ABC News". 2010-12-13. Retrieved 29 March 2011.
- Kreutzmann, Rasmus. "The 'Shadow Scholar' Shows How Students Hire Essay Writers Online". The Jittery Monks. Retrieved 21 March 2018.
- Netter, Sarah (2010-12-13). "ABCNews.com - Breaking news, politics, online news, world news, feature stories, celebrity interviews and more - ABC News". Retrieved 29 March 2011.
- "The Chronicle Wins 7 National Awards From Education Writers Assn". 2011-02-28. Retrieved 29 March 2011.
- Coll, Susan (7 September 2012). "'The Shadow Scholar' by Dave Tomar and 'Conning Harvard' by Julie Zauzmer". Washington Post. Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- Tomar, Date. "Dave Tomar: Author, Blogger, Music Journalist, Recipient of Numerous Sports Participation Trophies". Huffington Post. Retrieved 21 March 2018.
- Tomar, Dave. "From User to Dealer: A Vinyl Junkie Goes Pro... Sort of". Huffington Post. Retrieved 21 March 2018.
- Tomar, Dave. "Rockers Hate Republicans". Huffington Post. Retrieved 21 March 2018.
- Tomar, Dave. "Ghost in the Machine? How To Spot a Ghostwritten Paper". Huffington Post. Retrieved 21 March 2018.