Dickson at Ravens practice in August 2012
|No. 84 Carolina Panthers|
|Date of birth:||July 25, 1987|
|Place of birth:||Inglewood, California|
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||255 lb (116 kg)|
|High school:||Bellflower (CA)|
|NFL Draft:||2010 / Round: 3 / Pick: 70|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 14, 2015|
Edward James Dickson (born July 25, 1987) is an American football tight end for the Carolina Panthers of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Baltimore Ravens in the third round of the 2010 NFL Draft. He played college football at Oregon.
Dickson played football at Bellflower High School and played on both offense and defense, playing tight end and defensive end. Dickson led his team in receiving yards and quarterback sacks during his senior season, and by his performance he was named Southeast-South Coast Lineman of the-Year by the L.A. Times. Dickson's high school awards include Best in the West Honorable Mention tight end/linebacker by the Long Beach Press-Telegram, First-team All-Suburban League and First-Team All-league pick (offense and defense).
Dickson enrolled to University of Oregon and was redshirted. Dickson spent time with the defensive ends, but Dickson ended as the tight end in the team's depth chart behind Dante Rosario. He played 13 games as a defensive lineman in 2006.
On September 27, 2009, Dickson was named the national player of the week by the Walter Camp Football Foundation. He earned the honors after catching 11 passes for 148 yards and 3 touchdowns in an upset of the 6th ranked California Golden Bears.
He earned his degree in Family and Human Services.
Awards and honors
- Pac-10 offensive player of the week for the week of September 26, 2009
- 2008 Second Team All-Pac-10
- 2008 3rd-Team Pacific-10 All-Conference (Phil Steele)
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 4⅜ in||249 lb||33 in||9¾ in||4.59 s||1.64 s||2.69 s||4.59 s||7.32 s||34 in||9 ft 7 in||23 reps|
|All values from NFL Combine|
Dickson was drafted in the third round (70th overall) by the Baltimore Ravens. The pick was one of three that the Ravens acquired in a trade with the Denver Broncos on the first night of the draft on April 22. The Broncos received a first-round pick which was used to select Tim Tebow. Dickson signed a three-year contract on July 2, 2010.
As backup to veteran Todd Heap, Dickson pulled in 11 receptions, 153 yards, and one touchdown. However, the following year marked big changes for Dickson. Heap was released, and Dickson found himself in a battle with Dennis Pitta for the starting job. Also, Dickson switched from #83 to #84 after Lee Evans became a Raven. Dickson was the main starter in 2011, and caught five touchdowns.
During the Ravens championship season in 2012, Dickson saw his role in the passing game decrease in favor of Pitta, though he often found himself on blocking duty.
During the 2013 season, however, Dickson was the starter for most of the season as Pitta suffered a hip fracture injury before the season began.
Dickson signed a three-year, $6.8 million contract extension on March 11, 2015.
- "Oregon Rivals: Ed Dickinson Bio". Rivals.com. Retrieved August 5, 2009.
- Biggins, Greg (February 18, 2004). "SoCal TE Has Local Favorite". Rivals.com. Retrieved August 5, 2009.
- "Ed Dickson Stats". ESPN.com. Retrieved August 5, 2009.
- "Oregon's Ed Dickson on watch list as nation's best tight end". OregonLive.com. July 29, 2009. Retrieved July 29, 2009.
- "Ed Dickson - GoDucks.com - The University of Oregon Official Athletics Web Site". goducks.com. Retrieved April 24, 2009.
- "Masoli, Mohamed and Costa Named Pac-10 Football Players of the Week". Pac-10.org. November 23, 2009. Archived from the original on November 26, 2009. Retrieved November 23, 2009.
- "Ed Dickson Combine Profile", NFL.com, retrieved February 27, 2010.
- "Ed Dickson Draft Profile", NFLDraftScout.com, retrieved May 15, 2010.
- "2010 NFL Draft: Tight End Rankings", WalterFootball.com, April 12, 2010.
- Wilson, Aaron (April 24, 2010), "Ravens draft tight end Ed Dickson in third round", The National Football Post.
- "Ravens trade 25th overall pick to Denver Broncos," The Associated Press, Thursday, April 22, 2010.
- Henson, Max (April 10, 2014), "Panthers sign TE Dickson", Panthers.com.
- Newton, David (March 11, 2015). "TE Ed Dickson gets 3-year deal". ESPN.com. Retrieved November 17, 2015.