Ed Gainey (Canadian football)
|No. 11 Saskatchewan Roughriders|
|Born:||June 6, 1990|
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
|Height||5 ft 11 in (180 cm)|
|Weight||195 lb (88 kg)|
|High school||Winston-Salem (NC) Mount Tabor|
|Career highlights and awards|
|CFL All-Star||2017, 2018|
|CFL West All-Star||2017, 2018|
Edward Eugene Gainey (born June 6, 1990) is a Canadian football defensive back for the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the Canadian Football League (CFL). He played college football at Appalachian State University. He has also been a member of the Montreal Alouettes and Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the CFL.
Gainey played high school football at Mount Tabor High School in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. He was a two-time all-region selection and Shrine Bowl participant. He intercepted six passes, forced three fumbles and was the team’s second-leading tackler his senior year as the Spartans advanced to the 4-A state championship game. Gainey led the state with 13 interceptions as a junior.
Gainey played for the Appalachian State Mountaineers from 2008 to 2011. He finished his college career with 168 defensive tackles, five interceptions and 59 pass breakups. He was named second team All-Southern Conference in 2009 and 2010.
Gainey signed with the Montreal Alouettes on May 3, 2012. He made his CFL debut on July 6, 2012 against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. He signed a three-year contract with the Alouettes in January 2014. Gainey was released by the Alouettes on June 21, 2014.
Gainey signed with the Saskatchewan Roughriders on February 10, 2016. On August 13, 2017, during a 41–8 home victory against the BC Lions, Gainey became the first CFL player since 1986 and ninth all-time to record four interceptions in a single game. Gainey finished the year with 10 interceptions, and was named both a CFL-West All-Star, and a CFL All-Star. Gainey's 2018 saw a dip in statistics due to fewer quarterbacks targeting him, but he still nabbed 3 interceptions and was named to his second CFL All-Star team.
- "ED GAINEY". appstatesports.com. Archived from the original on November 30, 2014. Retrieved November 30, 2014.
- "Ed Gainey". ticats.ca. Archived from the original on November 30, 2014. Retrieved November 30, 2014.
- "ALOUETTES INK ED GAINEY AND FORTIFY DEFENCE". en.montrealalouettes.com. January 7, 2014. Archived from the original on January 8, 2014. Retrieved November 30, 2014.
- "RIDERS SIGN DEFENSIVE BACK ED GAINEY". cfl.ca. February 10, 2016. Archived from the original on February 10, 2016. Retrieved February 10, 2016.
- "Oh What A Night: Gainey all over the field in record-setting Riders win". CFL.ca. 2017-08-14. Retrieved 2017-08-14.
- "Stars aligned: 2018 CFL All-Stars unveiled". Canadian Football League. Retrieved 2018-12-04.