Ed Nelson (basketball)
|Edward Richard Nelson|
University of Connecticut (2003-2006);Georgia Tech (2001-2003)
|Sport||American football - undrafted in 2006, signed by St. Louis Rams)|
|Height||6 ft 8 in (2.03 m)|
|Weight||255 lb (116 kg)|
March 18, 1982 |
Brockton, Massachusetts, United States
|High school||St. Thomas Aquinas High School (Fort Lauderdale, Florida)|
2001 High School All-American 2002 ACC Rookie of the Year
2004 NCAA National Champion (Uconn Huskies)3 time Big East Champion
Ed Nelson began his college basketball career as a power forward for Georgia Tech in 2001. He won ACC Rookie of the Year award in 2002, an honor he shares with Michael Jordan, Ralph Sampson, Chris Bosh, Chris Paul, and Kenny Anderson. After two years he transferred to the University of Connecticut to be closer to his family. In the summer 2007 Nelson had N.B.A workouts with Memphis Grizzlies, New Orleans Hornets and Toronto Raptors. In 2009, he played for Weber Bahía Estudiantesin the Liga Nacional de Básquet (Argentine first division), where he was the teammate of former NBA point guard Juan Ignacio Sánchez. Nelson was the leading scorer of the Liga Nacional de Básquet in the 2008/2009 season, averaging 20.1 points per game and 8.4 rebounds per game. He played one season for Regatas, one for Quilmes de Mar del Plata and one more in Weber Bahía Estudiantes before becoming a player of Gimnasia Indalo
Rated one of the top 25 high school basketball players in America by Sports Illustrated. Florida Player of the Year by USA Today . . . Averaged 26 points and 11 rebounds per game as a senior and led St. Thomas Aquinas to the Class 5A state title with a 29-3 record . . . Named state Player of the Year for Class 6A-5A-4A by the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel . . . Most Valuable Player of the state tournament, including 29 points and 10 rebounds in the semifinal game . . . First-team all-county by the Miami Herald . . . Scored a season-high 39 points on two occasions . . . One of 14 players selected for the Capital Classic all-star game at the MCI Center in Washington, D.C. . . . Averaged 21.5 points and 9.3 rebounds as a junior, leading his team to a 30-4 record and a berth in the 5A state championship game . . . Also reached the state title game as a sophomore, when he helped St. Thomas Aquinas to a 23-9 record while averaging 12.4 points, eight rebounds and 2.3 assists per game . . . Coached by Steve Strand 
Sports Illustrated cover
Ed Nelson appeared on the ESPN hit show Outside the Lines. It was a short documentary about his transition from a college basketball star to an NFL Tight End. Nelson was discovered and signed by top NFL agent Joe Linta. Over 15 NFL Scouts came to watch the 6'8 255 pound Nelson do a private workout with San Diego Chargers tight ends coach Rob Chudzinski on the UConn Campus. Nelson showcased good speed and catching ability, and surprised most scouts when he showcased a 34-inch vertical jump. On Draft Day 2006 Ed Nelson signed with the St. Louis Rams
- Hollis, John. "JACKETS' NELSON GETS HIS RELEASE.(Sports)." Atlanta Journal-Constitution [Atlanta, GA] 1 May 2003: G1. General OneFile. Web. 18 Oct. 201
- Bamberger, Michael. "Drawn By Huskies: UConn's two highly ranked basketball teams are by far the state's No. 1 sports attraction." Sports Illustrated 12 Jan. 2004: 40. General OneFile. Web. 18 Oct. 2010.
- "CNNSI.com - Recruiting Watch with Brick Oettinger - Brick Oettinger's summer Top 100 - Thursday August 03, 2000 05:35 PM". Cgi.cnnsi.com. 2000-08-03. Retrieved 2014-03-06.
- "Ed Nelson Bio - Georgia Tech Official Athletic Site - RamblinWreck.com". Ramblinwreck.cstv.com. 1982-03-18. Retrieved 2014-03-06.
- "November 21 2005 Sports Illustrated Cover College… News Photo | Getty Images | 91294340". Getty Images. Retrieved 2014-03-06.
- "BASKETBALL PLAYER TRYING NFL." Cincinnati Post [Cincinnati, OH] 14 Apr. 2006: B2. InfoTrac Newsstand. Web. 18 Oct. 2010.
- "Conversion has begun for rookie tight end: Ed Nelson is better known as a basketball player." Belleville News-Democrat [Belleville, IL] 15 May 2006. General OneFile. Web. 18 Oct. 2010.
- "UConn basketball player Nelson signs with Rams - NFL - ESPN". Sports.espn.go.com. 2006-04-30. Retrieved 2014-03-06.