Ed Stetzer (born 1966) is an author, speaker, researcher, pastor, church planter, and Christian missiologist. Stetzer is a contributor to the North American discussion on missional church, church planting, church revitalization, and Christian cultural engagement.
Stetzer in 2010
Long Island, New York United States
|Alma mater||Shorter University
Liberty University School of Divinity
Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
Beeson Divinity School
Stetzer is Executive Director of LifeWay Research, a division of LifeWay Christian Resources and LifeWay's Missiologist in Residence. Before that, Stetzer served as Director of Research and Missiologist-In-Residence for the North American Mission Board. He is a prolific author, and well-known conference and seminar leader. Stetzer has planted, revitalized, and pastored churches, trained pastors and church planters on six continents, holds two master's degrees and two doctorates, and has written many articles and books.
Stetzer currently serves as Senior Fellow of Wheaton College's Billy Graham Center, Visiting Professor of Research and Missiology at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School and Visiting Research Professor at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, and has taught at many other colleges and seminaries.
Stetzer is a contributing editor for Christianity Today, a columnist for Outreach magazine, and is frequently cited or interviewed in national news outlets such as USA Today and CNN. He is also the Executive Editor of The Gospel Project, which is used by over one million individuals each week. Stetzer is Executive Editor of Facts & Trends Magazine, a Christian leadership magazine circulated to over 70,000 individuals each month.
He holds a bachelor's degree at Shorter University, two master's degrees (from Liberty University School of Divinity and the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary), and two earned doctorates (a Doctor of Ministry from Beeson Divinity School and a Doctor of Philosophy from the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary).
Dr. Ed Stetzer is primarily known around the world for his expertise in missiology, and writes and speaks on cultural engagement, church planting and revitalization. Rick Warren has said that Stetzer is "a successful pastor, church planter, researcher, and adviser to thousands of churches, Ed Stetzer speaks from a wealth of experience with all kinds of churches" (from the foreword to Comeback Churches).
Stetzer's book publications include:
- Planting New Churches in a Postmodern Age (B&H Publishing Group, 2003).
- Perimeters of Light: Biblical Boundaries for the Emerging Church (with Elmer Towns, Moody Publishing, 2004)
- Breaking the Missional Code (with David Putman; B&H Publishing Group, 2006)
- Planting Missional Churches (B&H Publishers, 2006)
- Comeback Churches (with Mike Dodson; B&H Publishing Group, 2007)
- 11 Innovations in the Local Church (with Elmer Towns and Warren Bird; Regal Publishing, 2007)
- Compelled by Love: The Most Excellent Way to Missional Living (with Philip Nation; New Hope Publishers, 2008)
- Lost and Found: The Younger Unchurched and the Churches that Reach Them (with Richie Stanley and Jason Hayes; B&H Publishers, 2009)
- MissionShift: Global Mission Issues in the Third Millennium (with David Hesselgrave; B&H Publishing Group, 2010)
- Viral Churches: Helping Church Planters Become Movement Makers (with Warren Bird; Jossey-Bass, 2010)
- Transformational Church: Creating a New Scorecard for Congregations (with Thom S. Rainer, B&H Publishing Group, 2010)
- Subversive Kingdom: Living as Agents of Gospel Transformation (B&H Publishing Group, 2012)
- Compelled: Living the Mission of God (with Philip Nation, New Hope Publishers, 2012)
- The Mission of God Study Bible (with Philip Nation, B&H Publishing Group, 2012)
- Transformational Groups: Creating a New Scorecard for Groups (with Eric Geiger; B&H Publishing Group, 2014)
-  (Sent: Living the Missional Nature of the Church, LifeWay Press, 2008)
About Ed Stetzer
- Lost and Found: An Interview with Ed Stetzer Preaching Magazine, posted April 2008
- Ed Stetzer interview with Bible Study Magazine, posted at ChurchLeaders.com, March 29, 2011
- Ed Stetzer Releases New Research on Pastors Out of Ur, the online community of Leadership Magazine, by Kevin Miller, posted October 9, 2009
By Ed Stetzer
- Cover Story: Proselytizing in a Multi-Faith World Christianity Today, posted April 1, 2011
- Future Trends in Evangelicalism Patheos, August 2, 2010
- The Blessings of New Media TableTalk Magazine, Spring 2010
- How Christian Consumers Ruin Pastors and Cheat the Mission of God Q Ideas
- FIRST-PERSON: Understanding the emerging church Baptist Press, posted January 6, 2006
- Curing Christians' Stats Abuse ChristianityToday.com posted 1/15/2010 09:44AM
- Billy Graham Center, Administration: Ed Stetzer, Senior Fellow, accessed, April 6, 2016.
- Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Faculty: Ed Stetzer, PhD, accessed, January 25, 2013.
- Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, Visiting Faculty, accessed January 25, 2013.
- "Christianity Today Staff," Christianity Today, accessed March 26, 2011.
- "Ed Stetzer, LifeWay Research," Outreach Magazine, accessed March 26, 2011.
- USA Today, Topic: Ed Stetzer, accessed March 26, 2011; Ed Stetzer on CNN, accessed on March 26, 2011.
- The Gospel Project The Gospel Project
- "The Gospel Project," LifeWay, accessed April 6, 2016.
- Facts and Trends Facts and Trends
- Grace Church Leadership Team: Lead Pastor, Ed Stetzer, accessed, January 25, 2013.
- 'Transformational Church' named to LeadershipJournal.net's Golden Canon, February 4, 2011, accessed April 2, 2011.