Eddie demonstrating his signature guard, the rubber guard
|Born||Edgar A. Cano
May 15, 1970
Santa Ana, California, US
|Other names||The Twister, Edgey Brah|
|Residence||Hollywood, California, United States|
|Style||Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu, Freestyle Wrestling|
|Rank||Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu3rd degree black belt in|
|Notable students||Joe Rogan, Jason Chambers, Gerald Strebendt, Shinya Aoki, Chuck Liddell, Matt Horwich, Jason Day, Ronda Rousey, George Sotiropoulos, Matt Mitrione, Tait Fletcher, Dan Hardy, Jung Chan-Sung, Alan Jouban, Ben Saunders|
Eddie Bravo (born Edgar Cano on May 15, 1970) is an American practitioner of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu who holds a third degree black belt under Jean-Jacques Machado of the Machado family lineage. He is most famous for his win against Royler Gracie by triangle choke in the 2003 Abu Dhabi Submission Wrestling championships while still only a brown belt. Bravo is of Mexican descent.
Bravo's particular style of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, called 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu, has had success at different levels of competition, including Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu tournaments, submission grappling tournaments, and mixed martial arts events such as the UFC. Bravo's style consists solely of no-gi jiu-jitsu. Bravo has repeatedly questioned the validity of the traditional approach to teaching jiu-jitsu with the gi for people who are primarily interested in mixed martial arts since it is illegal to wear a gi in most MMA organizations leaving fighters looking for sleeves or collars to improve their position when there are none. Some critics condemn the unusual names that Bravo gives moves: The Zombie (a technique for trapping an opponent's hand on the mat), Crackhead Control (a technique for preventing opponents from standing up to escape rubber guard), and The Electric Chair (a submission from Lockdown, a modified half guard that Bravo favors, that stretches the opponent's groin muscles).
Bravo has advocated marijuana as performance enhancing drug in several interviews and attributed his ability to develop his creative style of jiu-jitsu to his own marijuana use in Mastering the Rubber Guard.
Bravo lives in the Los Angeles area where he runs his own 10th Planet, currently headquartered at Tapout LA He published several BJJ instructional materials.
Bravo had a highly anticipated rematch against Royler Gracie on March 29, 2014 at Metamoris III in a submission only jiu-jitsu competition format. The match ended as a draw after the 20 minutes ran out due to the no points rule. Despite the official result of a draw, many media outlets praised Bravo's use of constant pressure, sweeps, and submission attempts in controlling the match and almost ending it at the end with a combination calf slicer and toe lock that Bravo calls the "Vaporizer." While there was some controversy after the match (Royce Gracie confronting Bravo), the match was lauded for its action with some calling it an early candidate for match of the year.
Eddie Bravo has released several instructional manuals:
- Jiu Jitsu Unleashed (2005)
- Mastering the Rubber Guard (2006)
- Mastering the Twister (2007)
- Advanced Rubber Guard (2014)
In addition, he has also released three DVDs.
- The Twister, contains several matches from Bravo's competition career, beginning with matches as a blue belt and culminating with his match against Royler Gracie.
- Mastering the Rubber Guard, is a three-disc instructional that concentrates on moves from the rubber guard, a guard that Bravo is largely responsible for popularizing.
- Mastering the Twister, an instructional that concentrates on the twister, and other techniques from top game and side control.
Submission grappling record
|Draw||Royler Gracie||Draw||Metamoris III||March 29, 2014||20:00||Draw|
|Loss||Alexandre 'Soca' Freitas||Forfeit (injury)||Abu Dhabi 2003||2003||Bronze|
|Loss||Leo Vieira||Points||Abu Dhabi 2003||2003||Semi-Finals|
|Win||Royler Gracie||Submission (Triangle Choke)||Abu Dhabi 2003||2003||Quarterfinals|
|Win||Gustavo Dantas||Submission (Rear Naked Choke)||Abu Dhabi 2003||2003||Elimination Rnd.|
|Win||Alan Teo||Points||NA ADCC Quals 2002||2002||Finals|
|Win||Shawn Krysa||Points||NA ADCC Quals 2002||2002||Semifinals|
|Win||Mark Ashton||Submission (Neck crank)||NA ADCC Quals 2002||2002||Quarterfinals|
- California Birth Index > Edgar A. Cano
- MuscleTalk Interviews Dan Hardy
- Analyst, Tom (2011-04-20). "History of Jiu Jitsu: Twist and Shout, the Eddie Bravo Story". Bleacher Report. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- Parker, James. "View from the Clinch: Fighter Eddie Bravo's Fitness Wisdom". realjock.com. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- Analyst, Tom. "History of Jiu Jitsu: Twist and Shout, the Eddie Bravo Story". Bleacher Report. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- "Exclusive Eddie Bravo Draws Inspiration from Bruce Lee Talks Decision to Promote Joe Rogan". bjpenn.com. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- "Eddie Bravo: MMA's jiu jitsu wizard". punchdrunksports.com. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- Snowden, J.; Shields, K. (2010). The MMA Encyclopedia. ECW Press. ISBN 9781554908448. Retrieved 17 October 2014.
- "Eddie Bravo: Marijuana martial-arts master". Hightimes.com. Retrieved 5 May 2011.
- "Eddie Bravo on marijuana, Royler and crackhead". bjpenn.com. Retrieved 29 April 2011.
- "10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Headquarters". Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- "Metamoris III Announced, Headlined by Royler Gracie and Eddie Bravo Rematch". BloodyElbow.com. Retrieved 2 March 2014.
- "Bravo dominates Gracie, and Metamoris 3". mixedmartialarts.com. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- "Metamoris 3: Bravo vs. Gracie Results". mmanuts.com. Retrieved 29 March 2014.
- Holland, Jesse. "Draw! Metamoris 3 results recap from last night (March 29) for 'Bravo vs. Gracie 2' in Los Angeles". mmamania.com. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- Brookhouse, Brent. "Royce Gracie confirms confrontation with Eddie Bravo, says 'Royler dominated him so much'". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- Coffeen, Fraser. "Why Eddie Bravo vs Royler Gracie II at Metamoris 3 is the Fight of the Year". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- Bravo, Eddie (1996). Mastering The Rubber Guard. ISBN 0-9777315-9-6.
- Bravo, Eddie (2007). Mastering the Twister: Jiu-Jitsu for Mixed Martial Arts Competition. ISBN 0-9777315-5-3.
- Bravo, Eddie (2014). Advanced Rubber Guard: Jiu-Jitsu for Mixed Martial Arts Competition. ISBN 1-9366086-2-6.