December 21, 1984 |
|September 2, 2016, for the Tampa Bay Rays|
(through 2016 season)
|Earned run average||1.35|
Eduardo Gamboa (born December 21, 1984) is a Mexican-American professional baseball pitcher who is a free agent. He previously played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Tampa Bay Rays. He is a knuckleball pitcher.
Gamboa attended the University of California, Davis.
The Baltimore Orioles selected Gamboa in the 21st round of the 2008 MLB Draft. They added Gamboa to their 40-man roster on November 20, 2013. but non-tendered him on December 2, making him a free agent. Gamboa was handed a 50-game suspension for testing positive for "exogenous testosterone," a performance-enhancing substance in violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program on June 13, 2014.
Gamboa was promoted to the Orioles when Wesley Wright was placed on the disabled list on April 11, 2015. Assigned uniform number 68, he was optioned back to the Norfolk Tides without appearing in any Orioles games two days later on April 13, 2015 when David Lough was reinstated from the disabled list. He elected free agency on November 6, 2015.
Tampa Bay Rays
Gamboa signed a minor league deal with the Tampa Bay Rays in January 2016. They promoted him to the major leagues on September 1. He made his major league debut against the Toronto Blue Jays on September 2. He was designated for assignment on February 14, 2017.
Los Angeles Dodgers
On June 30, 2017, Gamboa signed a minor league deal with the Los Angeles Dodgers. He made six starts for the Triple-A Oklahoma City Dodgers and three starts (and one relief appearance) for the Double-A Tulsa Drillers.
- "Knuckleball gives Gamboa new life - MiLB.com News - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". Retrieved September 1, 2016.
- "Is Orioles minor league knuckleballer Eddie Gamboa the next R.A. Dickey?". July 1, 2013. Retrieved September 1, 2016.
- Ghiroli, Brittany. "Orioles protect Tim Berry, Michael Ohlman, Eddie Gamboa from Rule 5 Draft". Retrieved September 1, 2016.
- Melewski, Steve. "Eddie Gamboa's passionate take on making the 40-man roster". Retrieved September 1, 2016.
- Kubatko, Roch. "A few more thoughts on Johnson trade". Retrieved September 1, 2016.
- "Norfolk Tides knuckleballer Eddie Gamboa suspended 50 games - International League News". Retrieved September 1, 2016.
- "Orioles place LHP Wesley Wright on disabled list; recall RHP Eddie Gamboa from Triple-A Norfolk". Retrieved September 1, 2016.
- "Orioles reinstate OF David Lough from the Disabled List". Retrieved September 1, 2016.
- "International League Transactions". milb.com. p. November 2015. Retrieved November 6, 2015.
- Topkin, Marc (January 12, 2016). "Rays add Gamboa, Roller; invite 12 minor-leaguers to camp". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved September 2, 2016.
- Topkin, Marc (September 1, 2016). "Rays' call-ups include knuckleballer Eddie Gamboa". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved September 2, 2016.
- Chastain, Bill (February 14, 2017). "Eovaldi joins Rays at spring camp". MLB.com. Retrieved February 14, 2017.
- "Rangers acquire RHP Eddie Gamboa from Tampa Bay Rays in exchange for a player to be named later or cash considerations". MLB.com. February 14, 2017. Retrieved February 14, 2017.