Eduardo Verchez García
May 2, 1929
- 1 Early life
- 2 Career
- 3 Filmography
- 4 Personal life
- 5 Awards and nominations
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Born to Antonio García and Vicenta Verchez on May 2, 1929 in Sorsogon, Sorsogon, he spent his early life in the municipality of Juban. He served with the Philippine Scouts right after World War II and was stationed as a military policeman in Okinawa, Japan before joining show business.
García is best known for portraying villain roles. He is also known for his trademark humorous lines mostly in action films or comedy films.
As of March 2011, he has appeared in approximately 400 movies and TV shows.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (April 2016)
|2016-2019||FPJ's Ang Probinsyano||Don Emilio Syquía / Gustavo Torralba||ABS-CBN|
|2015-2016||Little Nanay||Don Miguel "Migz / G Pop" Vallejo||GMA Network|
|2015||The Half Sisters||Eduardo Guevarra-McBride|
|Wansapanataym Presents: Yamashita's Treasures||Haring Dimetrius|
|2014||Give Love On Christmas: The Gift Giver||Ernest Aguinaldo (lead role)|
|Sana Bukas Pa Ang Kahapon||Magno Ruiz|
|Juan dela Cruz||Julian "Lolo Juls" Dela Cruz|
|2012||Aso ni San Roque||Supremo / Police Director Danilo P. Aragon||GMA Network|
|Third Eye||Lolo Gimo||TV5|
|Legacy||Don Romualdo Alcantara||GMA Network|
|Rod Santiago's The Sisters||Mayor Enrique Zialcita||TV5|
|Babaeng Hampaslupa||Edward Wong|
|2010||Jillian: Namamasko Po||Zaldy||GMA Network|
|Koreana||Chang Hee Jung|
|Pilyang Kerubin||Mang Potpot (Angel of Death)|
|2009||Pangarap Kong Jackpot||Lolo Hugo||NBN|
|Mars Ravelo's Darna||Father Mateo||GMA Network|
|Carlo J. Caparas' Totoy Bato||Coach Fredo|
|2008-2009||LaLola||Don Aguirre Lobregat|
|2008||Maalaala Mo Kaya: Sing-sing II||Panyong||ABS-CBN|
|Carlo J. Caparas' Joaquin Bordado||General Russo||GMA Network|
|Obra: For Love Or Money|
|2007||Asian Treasures||Professor Wakan U. Matadtu / Supremo / Datu Makatunaw|
|Mga Kwento Ni Lola Basyang: Ang Binibining Tumalo Sa Hari||Haring Abdul|
|2005||Mars Ravelo's Darna||Mambabarang|
|2003-2004||Narito Ang Puso Ko||Felipe San Victores|
|2002-2003||Kung Mawawala Ka||President Leandro Montemayor|
|1949||Kahit Ang Mundo'y Magunaw|
|1950||Huling Patak Ng Dugo||Sampaguita Pictures|
|Siete Infantes de Lara||MC Productions|
|Kilabot Sa Makiling|
|1954||Dalagang Ilocana||Louie||Sampaguita Pictures|
|1969||The Mad Doctor of Blood Island|
|1970||Beast Of Blood||Dr. Lorca||Hemisphere Pictures|
|1971||Tubog Sa Ginto||Don Benito||LEA Productions|
|Beast Of The Yellow Night||Det. Lt. Campo||New World Pictures (USA)|
|1972||The Woman Hunt||Spyros||New World Pictures|
|The Twilight People||Juan Pereira||Dimension Pictures|
|1973||Beyond Atlantis||The Mate|
|Black Mama White Mama||Captain Cruz||American International|
|1974||Bamboo Gods and Iron Men||Ambrose||American International Pictures|
|Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang||Mr. Cesar Blanco||CineManila Corporation|
|1976||Ganito Kami Noon... Paano Kayo Ngayon?||Don Tibor||Hemisphere Pictures|
|1977||Lalaki, Babae Kami|
|1979||Ang Alamat ni Julian Makabayan||Catholic Parish Priest||Ian Film Productions |
White Gold Films
|1981||Dear Heart||Don Manolo||Sining Silangan Productions|
|1981||P.S. I Love You||Emilio||VIVA Films|
|1982||Get My Son Dead or Alive||Maj. Ricardo Parraguas||Tagalog Ilang Ilang Productions|
|1983||Nagalit ang Buwan sa Haba ng Gabi||Dimitri de Joya||Essex Films|
|1984||May Lamok sa Loob ng Kulambo||Lauro||Essex Films|
|May Daga sa Labas ng Lungga|
|Kapag Baboy ang Inutang||Seiko Films|
|Kung Mahawi Man ang Ulap||Pablo Acuesta||Viva Films|
|1985||Pati Ba Pintig ng Puso||Don Griego||Viva Films|
|1986||Nasaan Ka Nang Kailangan Kita||Julio||Regal Films|
|1987||Pinulot Ka Lang sa Lupa||Diony Sta. Maria-Esquivel||Regal Films|
|Kamandag ng Kris||Bathala Films|
|Kapag Puno Na ang Salop||Judge Valderama||FPJ Productions|
|1988||Enteng the Dragon||Evil Leader||RVQ Productions|
|Ang Supremo||Commander Magbuang||GP Films|
|One Two Bato Three Four Bapor||Seiko Films|
|1989||Kahit Iputok Mo Walang Api||Tomas Alejandro||Diamond Films|
|Ako ang Batas||Gen. Tomas Karingal||Seiko Films|
|Tatak ng Isang Api||Don Marlon||Diamond Films|
|Ako ang Huhusga: Kapag Puno Na ang Salop (Part II)||Judge Valderama||FPJ Productions|
|1990||Hepe: Isasabay Kita sa Paglubog ng Araw||Joselito "Pepe" Marasigan||Tagalog Ilang-Ilang Productions|
|Hindi Ka Na Sisikatan Ng Araw: Kapag Puno Na ang Salop (Part III)||Judge Valderama||FPJ Productions |
|Hukom 45||Judge Enrico Corpuz||Viva Films|
|Sgt. Patalinhug: CIS Special Operations Group||Harvest International Films |
Synergy Home Entertainment Inc. (2003) (Philippines) (video)
|Bala at Rosaryo||Edmundo||Vision Films|
|Gumapang Ka Sa Lusak||Mayor Edmundo Guatlo||Viva Films|
|Boyong Manalac: Hoodlum Terminator||Boyong Manalac|
|1991||Mayor Latigo||Meliton Geronimo||OctoArts Films|
|Magdaleno Orbos: Sa Kuko ng Mga Lawin||Magdaleno Orbos||Harvest International Film|
|Hinukay Ko Na Ang Libingan Mo||La Rosa San Vicente|
|1992||Alyas Ninong: Huling Kilabot Ng Tondo||Valentin Zapanta||OctoArts Films|
|Gobernador||Gov. Alex Francisco||Stellar Film|
|Cordora: Lulutang Ka sa Sarili Mong Dugo||Police Chief Inspector Gaudencio "Boy" M. Cordora
||First Films |
|Andres Manambit: Angkan sa Matatapang||Andres Manambit||Viva Films|
|1993||Galvez: Hanggang Sa Dulo Ng Mundo Hahanapin Kita!||Judge Efren Galvez||Regal Films|
|Enteng Manok: Tari ng Quiapo||Enteng Manok||Magdalena Films|
|Maestro Toribio||Maestro Toribio||OctoArts Films|
|Padre Amante Guerrero||Padre Amante Guerrero||FLT Films International (1993) (Philippines)|
|Tatak ng Kriminal||Gojo||FLT Films International|
|1994||Ultimatum||Cpl. Ariston Mamaril||Viva Films|
|Marami Ka Pang Kakaining Bigas||Digoy|
|Mayor Cesar Climaco||Mayor Cesar Climaco||Seiko Films|
|1995||Melencio Magat: Dugo Laban sa Dugo||Melencio Magat||Regal Films|
|1995||Judge Max Asuncion: Hukom bitay||Judge Maximiano Asuncion|
|1996||Duwelo||Ramon Aguila||Viva Films|
|Moises Arcangel: Sa Guhit Ng Bala||Moises Arcangel||MAQ Productions|
|Emong Salvacion: Oras Ka Nang Magtago Sa Pinanggalingan mo!||Emong Salvacion|
|Wanted Dead or Alive: Arrest the King of Carnappers||GP Films|
|1996||Bakit May Kahapon Pa?||General Valderama||IAM Productions|
|1997||Mariano Mison NBI||Mariano Mison||Star Cinema|
|Papunta Ka Pa Lang, Pabalik Na Ako||Gaston||Viva Films|
|Padre Kalibre||Padre Lazaro||Regal Films|
|Mauna Ka Susunod Ako||Viva Films|
|1998||Sambahin Ang Ngalan Mo!||Don Ramon||MAQ Productions|
|1999||Tigasin||Sgt. Gregorio Marcial||Star Cinema|
|Asin At Paminta||Roman||Viva Films|
|2000||Deathrow||Lolo Sinat||GMA Films|
|2001||Sanggano't Sanggago||Waldo||Viva Films|
|Kapitan Ammbo: Outside de Kulambo||Kapitan Ambo||FLT Films International|
|2001; 2003||The Debut||Celestial Pictures LLC (2001)|
|2002||D' Uragons||Sherlock||Viva Films|
|Bro, Kahit Saang Engkuwentro||Sgt. Delfin Mijares, Sr.||MMG Films|
|Mano Po||Don Luis Go||Regal Entertainment Inc.|
|2003||Masamang Ugat||Apo Roman||Viva Films|
|Asboob: Asal Bobo||Sgt. Samson||NU Arts Movies|
|Chavit||Congressman Claro Crisostomo (Floro Crisologo)||Golden Lions Films |
|2004||When Eagles Strike||New Concorde |
Buena Vista Home Entertainment
|Mano Po III: My Love||Melencio||MAQ Productions|
(Regal Entertainment Inc.)
|2005||Terrorist Hunter||Valentin Pascual||Impact Films|
|Lisensyadong Kamao||Fernan Balani||Violett Films Productions|
|2006||Reyna: Ang Makulay Na Pakikipagsapalaran Ng Mga Achucherva, Achuchuva, Achechenes....||Mamu||Viva Films|
|Blue Moon||Manuel Pineda||Regal Films|
|Till I Met You||Señor Manuel||GMA Films |
|2008||Ate||Cleo and Helen's blind father||A-Mine Entertainment |
|2009||Fuchsia||Marcelino "Mars"||APT Entertainment|
|Nobody, Nobody But... Juan||Tu / Torribio||RVQ Productions |
Kaizz Ventures Inc.
Joe Aldeguer Productions
|2010||Buenavista: Ang Kasaysayan Ng Lucena||Don Mariano Zaldeña||BJB Productions|
|Ika-Sampu||General Antonio dela Vega||Opticred Motion Pictures|
|2011||The Unkabogable Praybeyt Benjamin||Minister Marshal Benjamin "Ben" Santos VI||Star Cinema |
|Tum: My Pledge Of Love||Linda's father||Liwanag ng Kapayapaan Foundation Philippines |
R.R. Foundation India
Star Cinema Productions
|Panday: Ang Ikalawang Yugto||Amang Daluyong||GMA Films|
|2012||D' Kilabots Pogi Brothers Weh?!||Police Superintendent||APT Entertainment|
|Bwakaw||Rene||Star Cinema (Philippines) |
Fortissimo Films (Worldwide)
|2013||Boy Golden: Shoot To Kill, The Arturo Porcuna Story||Atty. Dante Sagalongos||Viva Films|
|2013; 2014||Barber's Tales||Father Arturo||APT Entertainment |
|2014||The Amazing Praybeyt Benjamin||General Benjamin "Ben" Santos VI||Star Cinema |
|Bonifacio: Ang Unang Pangulo||Museum curator||Philippians Productions|
|2015||Rodski Patotski: Ang Dalagang Baby (short film)||Roadrunner Network, Inc.|
|2016||Iadya Mo Kami||BG Productions International|
|2017||Tatlong Bibe||Delfin||Regal Films|
|Ang Panday||old Evil Spirit||Star Cinema|
|2018||Rainbow's Sunset||Ramon||Heaven's Best Entertainment|
- Crisis (2005)
- Abakada Ina (2001)
- Hinukay Ko na ang Libingan Mo (1991)
- Imortal (1989)
- Kung Kasalanan Man (1989)
- Kung Aagawin mo ang Lahat sa Akin (1987)
- Saan Nagtatago ang Pag-ibig (1987)
- Huwag Mong Itanong Kung Bakit? (1986)
- Magdusa Ka (1986)
- Palimos ng Pag-ibig (1986)
- Kailan Sasabihing Mahal Kita (1985)
- Friends in Love (1982)
- Forgive and Forget (1982)
- Cross My Heart (1982)
- Sinasamba Kita (1982)
- P.S. I Love You (1981)
- Atsay (1978)
- Pinagbuklod ng Langit (1969)
- Blackmail (1966)
- Deadline Agosto 13 (1966)
- Sabotage (1966)
- G-2: Taga-usig ng Kaaway (1965)
- Kalaban ng Sindikato (1965)
- Historia de Un Amor (1963)
- Karugtong ng Kahapon (1961)
|1961||Karugtong ng Kahapon||Mario Montenegro, Rita Gomez, Ric Rodrigo, Marlene Dauden, Carlos Salazar, Rosa Mia, Zeny Zabala, Totoy Torrente, Aring Bautista and Marcela Garcia||Sampaguita Pictures|
García has always been private on his personal life. He considers his acting profession and private life as separate. A seasoned actor, he lives a relatively simple life without any luxury cars and expensive equipment, enjoying only target shooting as a sport. García maintains a healthy lifestyle through exercise, vitamin supplements, and healthy diet, stressing he prefers fish and vegetables more than meat.
His family is among the descendants of Spanish Pinaminomons settlers. He is a former member of the Philippine Scouts in Okinawa during World War II. The Philippine Military Academy Marangal (Honorable) Class of 1974 also adopted him as one of their honorary classmates, alongside First Gentleman Mike Arroyo.
He has a daughter living in San Diego, California by the name of Lisa Ortega. Not much are known about his spouse or his family. Throughout his career, he has been known for his professionalism, and has evaded intrigues and controversies linking him to any of his fellow co-stars, unlike his contemporaries who are known for their various relationships with other women.
He was also good friends with fellow veteran actors Dolphy and Fernando Poe Jr. He also witnessed the last moment of FPJ. Earlier that year during the 2004 presidential elections, he and Dolphy were campaigning alongside FPJ.
Awards and nominations
García is the most awarded and nominated person in the long history of the Filipino Academy of Movie Arts and Sciences (FAMAS) Awards. He garnered a total of 34 nominations (13 for Best Supporting Actor, 10 for Best Actor and 11 for Best Director). Out of these, he got 6 Best Supporting Actor wins, 5 Best Actor wins and 5 Best Director wins, 3 Hall of Fame Awards, 1 Lifetime Achievement Award and the Fernando Poe, Jr. Memorial Award. He was awarded his first FAMAS Award in 1957 and his last FAMAS, a Hall of Fame for Best Actor, in 2003.
He is the only performer in Philippine movie history to win three consecutive FAMAS Awards: Best Supporting Actor awards for Taga sa Bato (1957), Condenado (1958) and Tanikalang Apoy (1959).
García is also the first actor to be inducted in the FAMAS Hall of Fame for Best Supporting Actor in 1975.
Gawad Urian Awards
The Natatanging Gawad Urian award was bestowed upon him in 2006.
Lifetime achievement awards
International film awards
García earned his first international film award at the 55th Asia-Pacific Film Festival as the lead actor for the movie Bwakaw on December 15, 2012, garnering the Asian Film Award for Best Actor, the only Filipino so far to win the award (as of 2016).
He earned his first Best Actor in a Drama Series award at the 2002 Star Awards.
In August 2014, García was included in two lists: Inside Showbiz magazine's list of five best of the living Filipino actors, and the Philippines' Yes! Magazine's list of 2014’s 100 Most Beautiful Stars.
- Tariman, Pablo A. (30 April 2011). "The ageless Eddie Garcia". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- Zulueta, Lito B. "EDDIE GARCIA: Actor, director, icon, Philippine cinema's one-man totem pole". Manunuri ng Pelikulang Pilipino (MPP). MPP. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- Mendoza, Abby (29 March 2013). "The longevity of Eddie Garcia". Philippine Entertainment Portal (PEP). Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- Jesús García Verchez's Birth Register: Part 1 and Part 2
- Agbayani, Claire (6 December 2002). "The Simple Truth About Eddie Garcia". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- Mateo, Pilar (July 26, 2012). "Eddie Garcia: 'One of these days, I'll follow Dolphy, and I have everything prepared'". Interaksyon.com. Archived from the original on January 22, 2014. Retrieved October 28, 2014.
- Buan-Deveza, Reyman (2008-07-25). "Eddie Garcia stars in indie film 'Fuchsia'". ABS-CBN News Online. Retrieved 2008-08-09.[dead link]
- Sicam, Ed (23 March 2011). "Eddie Garcia, 89, works non-stop for 62 years". Yahoo! Celebrity Philippines. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- Ray, Fred Olen (1991). "The New Poverty Row". McFarland and Co. Inc. ISBN 0-89950-628-3. Page 83
- "Eddie Garcia Has Got It All Figured Out" (in English and Tagalog). Manila Bulletin. 23 July 2012. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "Eddie Garcia: I'm still alive". ABS-CBN News. 5 September 2012. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- "Asian Journal USA".
- Belen, Walden Sadiri M. (8 November 2013). "Why Eddie Garcia Has No Intrigues Or Controversies" (in English and Tagalog). Bulletin Entertainment Online. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- Dimaculangan, Jocelyn (18 December 2012). "Eddie Garcia named Best Actor; gets standing ovation at 55th Asia-Pacific Film Festival". Philippine Entertainment Portal (PEP). Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- "Awards: Winners". Film Academy of the Philippines. Archived from the original on November 23, 2014. Retrieved October 29, 2014.
- Calderon, Ricky (23 February 2013). "Gloria Romero, Mel Tiangco, Nova Villa, Eddie Garcia get special lifetime achievement citations in Golden Screen TV Awards". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- Tseng, Ada (21 January 2013). "Man's Best Friend: Interview with Bwakaw director Jun Robles Lana". University of Southern California: Asia Pacific Arts. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- Constantino, Ronald (25 August 2014). "Five best living actors". Manila Bulletin Publishing Corporation. Archived from the original on 29 October 2014. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- Constantino, Ronald (11 August 2014). "In praise of mature men". Manila Bulletin Publishing Corporation. Archived from the original on 25 October 2014. Retrieved 29 October 2014.