|Born||Jesús García Verchez
May 2, 1929
Sorsogon, Sorsogon, Philippine Islands
- 1 Biography
- 2 Filmography
- 3 Personal life
- 4 Awards and nominations
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Born to Antonio García and Vicenta Verchez on May 2, 1929 in Sorsogon, Sorsogon, he spent his early life in the municipality of Juban. He served with the Philippine Scouts during World War II and was stationed as a military policeman in Okinawa, Japan before joining show business.
He directed his first movie "Karugtong ng Kahapon" in 1961.
He is known for portraying roles of either the main villain, the lead or a supporting character. He is also known for his trademark humorous lines which he says mostly in action films or comedy films.
As of March 2011, he has appeared in approximately 400 movies and TV shows.
Since 2013, Garcia is currently a part of ABS-CBN. He first appeared on Juan dela Cruz, and later on Honesto. In 2014, he is part of the cast of Sana Bukas Pa Ang Kahapon.In 2015 Garcia return to GMA Network after staying in ABS CBN for 2 years his first project with GMA Network is to be a part of the long time drama The Half Sisters and the upcoming Family Drama Little Mommy.
|2015||Little Mommy||Don Manuel Valle||GMA Network|
|The Half Sisters||Eduardo McBride|
|Wansapanataym Presents: Yamashita's Treasures||Haring Dimetrius|
|2014||Give Love on Christmas:The Gift Giver||Ernest Aguinaldo|
|Sana Bukas pa ang Kahapon||Magno Ruiz|
|Toda Max||Engineer Manny Boy|
|Little Champ||Champion (voice)|
|Juan Dela Cruz||Julian "Lolo Juls" Dela Cruz|
|2012||Aso ni San Roque||Supremo / Police Director Danilo Aragon||GMA Network|
|Third Eye||Lolo Gimo||TV5|
|Legacy||Don Romualdo Alcantara||GMA Network|
|Rod Santiago's The Sisters||Mayor Enrique Zialcita||TV5|
|Babaeng Hampaslupa||Edward Wong|
|2010||Jillian: Namamasko Po||Various||GMA Network|
|Koreana||Chang Hee Jung|
|Pilyang Kerubin||Mang Potpot (Angel of Death)|
|Pinoy Records Presents: Pinoy Extreme Talent||Guest Judge|
|2009||Talentadong Pinoy||Guest Judge||TV5|
|Pangarap Kong Jackpot||Lolo Hugo||NBN|
|Mars Ravelo's Darna||Father Mateo||GMA Network|
|Carlo J. Capara's Totoy Bato||Coach Fredo|
|2008/2009||LaLola||Don Aguirre Lobregat|
|2008||Maalaala Mo Kaya: Sing-sing II||Panyong||ABS-CBN|
|Carlo J. Caparas' Joaquin Bordado||General Russo||GMA Network|
|2007||Asian Treasures||Professor Wakan U. Matadtu / Supremo / Datu Makatunaw|
|Mga Kwento ni Lola Basyang|
|2005||Mars Ravelo's Darna||Mambabarang|
|2003||Narito Ang Puso Ko||Felipe San Victores|
|2002||Kung Mawawala Ka||President Leandro Montemayor|
|1949||Kahit ang Mundo'y Magunaw|
|1950||Huling Patak ng Dugo||Sampaguita Pictures|
|Siete Infantes de Lara||MC Productions|
|Kilabot sa Makiling|
|1984||May Lamok sa Loob ng Kulambo||Lauro||Essex Films|
|May Daga sa Labas ng Lungga|
|1989||Kahit Iputok mo Walang Api||Tomas Alejandro||Diamond Films|
|1989||Ako ang Batas||Gen. Tomas Karingal||Seiko Films|
|1990||HEPE Isasabay kita sa Paglubog ng Araw||Joselito Marasigan||Tagalog Ilang-Ilang Productions|
|1990||Hukom 45||Judge Enrico Corpuz||Viva Films|
|1991||Boyong Manalac: Hoodlum Terminator||Boyong Manalac||Viva Films|
|1991||Mayor Latigo||Meliton Geronimo||Octoarts Films|
|1992||Alyas Ninong||Valentin Zapanta||Octoarts Films|
|1992||Andres Manambit: Angkan sa Matatapang||Andres Manambit||Viva Films|
|1993||Galvez: Hanggang Sa Dulo ng Mundo Hahanapin Kita!||Judge Efren Galvez||Regal Films|
|1993||Maestro Toribio||Maestro Toribio||Octoarts Films|
|1994||Ultimatum||Cpl. Ariston Mamaril||Viva Films|
|1994||Marami Ka Pang Kakainin ng Bigas||Ping||Viva Films|
|1995||Melencio Magat: Dugo Laban sa Dugo||Melencio Magat||Regal Films|
|1996||Duwelo||Ramon Aguila||Regal Films|
|1996||Moises Arcangel: Sa Guhit ng Bala||Moises Arcangel||MAQ Productions|
|1996||Emong Salvacion: Oras Ka nang Magtago sa Pinanggalingan mo!||Emong Salvacion||MAQ Productions|
|1997||Mariano Mison NBI||Mariano Mison||Star Cinema|
|1998||Sambahin ang Ngalan Mo!||Don Ramon||MAQ Productions|
|1999||Tigasin||Greg Marcial||Star Cinema|
|2003||Masamang Ugat||Viva Films|
|2011||The Unkabogable Praybeyt Benjamin||Benjamin "Ben" Santos VI||Star Cinema
|2011||Ang Panday 2||Amang Daluyong||GMA Films|
|2013||Boy Golden: Shoot to Kill, the Arturo Porcuna Story||Atty. Dante Sagalongos||Viva Films|
|2014||The Amazing Praybeyt Benjamin||Benjamin "Ben" Santos VI||Star Cinema
|2014||Bonifacio: Ang Unang Pangulo||Museum curator||Philippians Productions|
|2015||Rodski Patotski: Ang Dalagang Baby (Short Film)||TBA||Roadrunner Network, Inc.|
- Crisis (2005)
- Abakada Ina (2001)
- Hinukay Ko na ang Libingan Mo (1991)
- Imortal (1989)
- Kung Kasalanan Man (1989)
- Kung Aagawin mo ang Lahat sa Akin (1987)
- Saan Nagtatago ang Pag-ibig (1987)
- Huwag Mong Itanong Kung Bakit? (1986)
- Magdusa Ka (1986)
- Palimos ng Pag-ibig (1986)
- Kailan Sasabihing Mahal Kita (1985)
- Friends in Love (1983)
- Forgive and Forget (1982)
- Cross My Heart (1982)
- Sinasamba Kita (1982)
- P.S. I Love You (1981)
- Atsay (1978)
- Pinagbuklod ng Langit (1969)
- Blackmail (1966)
- Deadline Agosto 13 (1966)
- Sabotage (1966)
- G-2: Taga-usig ng Kaaway (1965)
- Kalaban ng Sindikato (1965)
- Historia de Un Amor (1963)
- Karugtong ng Kahapon (1961)
Garcia has always been private on his personal life. He considers his acting profession and private life as separate. A seasoned actor, he lives a relatively simple life without any luxury cars and expensive equipment, enjoying only target shooting as a sport.  Garcia maintains a healthy lifestyle through exercise, vitamin supplements, and healthy diet, stressing he prefers fish and vegetables more than meat.
His family is among the descendants of Spanish Pinaminomons settlers. He is a former member of the Philippine Scouts in Okinawa during World War II. The Philippine Military Academy Marangal (Honorable) Class of 1974 also adopted him as one of their honorary classmates, alongside First Gentleman Mike Arroyo.
He has a daughter living in San Diego, California by the name of Lisa Ortega. Not much are known about his spouse or his family. Throughout his career, he has been known for his professionalism, and has evaded intrigues and controversies linking him to any of his fellow co-stars, unlike his contemporaries who are known for their various relationships with other women.
He was also good friends with fellow veteran actors Dolphy and Fernando Poe Jr. He also witnessed the last moment of FPJ. Earlier that year during the 2004 presidential elections, he and Dolphy were campaigning alongside FPJ.
Awards and nominations
Garcia is the most awarded and nominated person in the long history of the Filipino Academy of Movie Arts and Sciences (FAMAS) Awards. He garnered a total of 34 nominations (13 for Best Supporting Actor, 10 for Best Actor and 11 for Best Director). Out of these, he got 6 Best Supporting Actor wins, 5 Best Actor wins and 5 Best Director wins, 3 Hall of Fame Awards, 1 Lifetime Achievement Award and the Fernando Poe, Jr. Memorial Award. He was awarded his first FAMAS Award in 1957 and his last FAMAS, a Hall of Fame for Best Actor, in 2003.
He is the only performer in Philippine movie history to win three consecutive FAMAS Awards: Best Supporting Actor Awards for Taga sa Bato (1957), Condenado (1958) and Tanikalang Apoy (1959).
Garcia is also the first actor to be inducted in the FAMAS Best Supporting Actor Hall of Fame of the Filipino Academy of Movie Arts and Sciences in 1974.
Gawad Urian Awards
The Natatanging Gawad Urian award was bestowed upon him in 2006.
Lifetime achievement awards
International film awards
He earned his first Best Actor in a Drama Series award at the 2002 Star Awards.
In August 2014, Garcia was included in two lists: Inside Showbiz magazine's list of five best of the living Filipino actors, and the Philippines' Yes! Magazine's list of 2014’s 100 Most Beautiful Stars.
- Jesús García Verchez's Birth Register: Part 1 and Part 2
- Agbayani, Claire (6 December 2002). "The Simple Truth About Eddie Garcia". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- Mendoza, Abby (29 March 2013). "The longevity of Eddie Garcia". Philippine Entertainment Portal (PEP). Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- Buan-Deveza, Reyman (2008-07-25). "Eddie Garcia stars in indie film 'Fuchsia'". ABS-CBN News Online. Retrieved 2008-08-09.[dead link]
- Tariman, Pablo A. (30 April 2011). "The ageless Eddie Garcia". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- Zulueta, Lito B. "EDDIE GARCIA: Actor, director, icon, Philippine cinema’s one-man totem pole". Manunuri ng Pelikulang Pilipino (MPP). MPP. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- Mateo, Pilar (26 July 2012). "Eddie Garcia: ‘One of these days, I’ll follow Dolphy, and I have everything prepared’". Interaksyon.com. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- Sicam, Ed (23 March 2011). "Eddie Garcia, 89, works non-stop for 62 years". Yahoo! Celebrity Philippines. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- Sarraga, Ed (2 February 2013). "Eddie Garcia Now a Certified Kapamilya Actor". Philippine News. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- Belen, Walden Sadiri M. (8 November 2013). "Why Eddie Garcia Has No Intrigues Or Controversies" (in English and Tagalog). Bulletin Entertainment Online. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "Eddie Garcia Has Got It All Figured Out" (in English and Tagalog). Manila Bulletin. 23 July 2012. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- "Eddie Garcia: I'm still alive". ABS-CBN News. 5 September 2012. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- "Asian Journal USA".
- Dimaculangan, Jocelyn (18 December 2012). "Eddie Garcia named Best Actor; gets standing ovation at 55th Asia-Pacific Film Festival". Philippine Entertainment Portal (PEP). Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- "Awards: Winners". Film Academy of the Philippines. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- Calderon, Ricky (23 February 2013). "Gloria Romero, Mel Tiangco, Nova Villa, Eddie Garcia get special lifetime achievement citations in Golden Screen TV Awards". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- Tseng, Ada (21 January 2013). "Man's Best Friend: Interview with Bwakaw director Jun Robles Lana". University of Southern California: Asia Pacific Arts. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- Constantino, Ronald (25 August 2014). "Five best living actors". Manila Bulletin Publishing Corporation. Retrieved 29 October 2014.
- Constantino, Ronald (11 August 2014). "In praise of mature men". Manila Bulletin Publishing Corporation. Retrieved 29 October 2014.