|Born||July 16, 1973 (age 44)
|Alma mater||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|Institutions||Harvard University, University of California, Los Angeles|
|Doctoral advisor||Frans Kaashoek, Robert Morris|
Eddie Kohler is a computer scientist specializing in networking and operating systems. He is currently a professor of computer science at Harvard University's School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. Prior to Harvard, Eddie was a professor at the University of California, Los Angeles.
Eddie co-founded Mazu Networks in 2000 and served as its Chief Scientist until it was acquired in 2009 . In 2006, at the age of 33 he was named to the TR35 as one of the Top 35 Innovators Under 35 by MIT Technology Review magazine . In 2013, he received the SIGOPS Mark Weiser Award, an award given annually to a researcher who has made "contributions that are highly creative, innovative, and possibly high-risk, in keeping with the visionary spirit of Mark Weiser." He is also the author of the HotCRP conference management software.
In 2005, Kohler (with David Mazières) wrote a paper titled "Get me off Your Fucking Mailing List" and sarcastically submitted it to a conference from which the two did not wish to receive further communications. Years later, the paper (submitted by another scientist to an ostensibly peer-reviewed technical journal) was accepted for publication, despite a body text consisting entirely of repetition of the phrase "Get me off your fucking mailing list".
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, 2000. Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- S.M., Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, 1997. Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- S.B., Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, 1995. Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- S.B., Music, 1995. Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Michael Mitzenmacher (2011). "Harvard CS Hires (2011 Edition)" (published 2011-06-06). Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- Marlys Amundson (2006). "Five Promising Faculty Receive NSF CAREER Awards" (published 2006-03-08). Archived from the original on 2013-06-26. Retrieved 2013-05-19.
- "Eddie Kohler, Executive Profile & Biography". 2013. Retrieved 2013-05-02.
- "Riverbed Completes Acquisition of Mazu Networks" (published 2009-02-20). 2013. Archived from the original on 2012-03-16. Retrieved 2013-05-13.
- MIT Technology Review (2006). "2006 Young Innovators Under 35". Retrieved April 11, 2013.
- M.Abraham (2006). "UCLA Engineering's Eddie Kohler Chosen as One of the Top Innovators Under the Age of 35 by MIT's Technology Review" (published 2006-09-08). Archived from the original on May 26, 2010. Retrieved April 11, 2013.
- "SIGOPS Mark Weiser Award". Retrieved 2015-10-10.
- "HotCRP Conference Management Software". Retrieved 2013-05-12.
- Joseph Stromberg (November 21, 2014). ""Get Me Off Your Fucking Mailing List" is an actual science paper accepted by a journal". Vox. Vox Media. Retrieved November 22, 2014.