June 25, 1992 |
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight||160 lb (73 kg)|
|Event(s)||110 metres hurdles|
|Achievements and titles|
110H: 13.43 (Russia 2013)
|Updated on 20 December 2014.|
Eddie Lovett (born June 25, 1992) is an American born U.S. Virgin Islander sprinter who specializes in the 110 metres hurdles. He currently attends the University of Florida. At the time of the 2016 Rio Olympics, in which he represented the U.S. Virgin Islands, he was a volunteer assistant coach at Penn State University.
Lovett won a gold medal in the 110 metres hurdles at the 2011 Pan American Junior Athletics Championships in Miramar, Florida. He set a new championship record with 13.14 sec, a significant improvement to the previous record of 13.45, set in 2005 by Dayron Robles. It is the second fastest time ever by a junior hurdler, behind only Wayne Davis (13.08 sec).
A native of Miami, Florida, Lovett attended Palm Beach Lakes Community High School in West Palm Beach, Florida, where he also was a highly touted football prospect, playing wide receiver and defensive back. However, he broke his arm early into his senior season, effectively ending his football career. He headed to UF on a track scholarship instead.
At the 2010 Florida Class 3A state meet, he ran 13.46 in the 110 m hurdles and broke a state record originally established by Philip Riley (13.59 s) of Orlando-Jones High School in 1990. He was an All-USA high school track and field team selection by USA Today in July 2010. Eddie Lovett is also a member of Phi Beta Sigma fraternity, having joined at Zeta Kappa chapter at the University of Florida.
- 100 m: 10.51 s (wind: +1.3 m/s) – Gainesville, Florida, 4 April 2014
- 110 m hurdles: 13.39 s (wind: +0.6 m/s) – Greensboro, North Carolina, 25 May 2013
- 60 m: 6.77 s – Lincoln, Nebraska, 1 February 2013
- 60 m hurdles: 7.50 s – Fayetteville, Arkansas, 9 March 2013
- "UF's Lovett Wins In Record Time At Pan American Junior Championships". WCTV. July 25, 2011.
- "Palm Beach Lakes WR Eddie Lovett out for regular season". Palm Beach Post. October 7, 2009. Archived from the original on 2011-10-07.
- "Palm Beach Lakes' Eddie Lovett headed to Florida on a track scholarship". Palm Beach Post. May 13, 2010. Archived from the original on 2011-10-07.
- "All-USA high school track and field teams". USA Today. July 22, 2010.