Eddie Money (album)
|Studio album by Eddie Money|
|Recorded||The Record Plant, L.A.|
|Genre||Rock, pop rock|
|Eddie Money chronology|
|The Village Voice||C–|
Eddie Money is the self-titled debut album by American musician Eddie Money, recorded in the summer months and originally released in late 1977 on manager Bill Graham's Wolfgang label, distributed by Columbia Records. The album was certified double platinum in 1989.
The album was a studio rendering of Money's live show at the time. Featuring almost entirely original compositions that the band had written and honed during their live performances in Bay Area venues. Containing two songs that achieved generous radio airplay ("Two Tickets to Paradise" and "Baby Hold On"), the album peaked at #37 on the charts, establishing Money as a successful artist. "Two Tickets to Paradise" remains one of his most frequently played songs. A third single, a unique take on the Motown classic "You Really Got A Hold On Me" received considerable airplay but failed to crack the top 20.
Managed by rock impresario Bill Graham and booked by Frank Barcelona's Premier Talent, Money quickly established himself as both the consummate performer and record peddler who often spent afternoons doing record store promotions and radio interviews prior to his on stage appearances. His crew were well respected as it was not uncommon for the show to be set up and torn down in the afternoon then transported hundreds of miles for an evening performance in another state.
This album features Money on vocals, Jimmy Lyon on guitar, saxophone player Tom Scott, and former Steve Miller Band members, bassist Lonnie Turner and drummer Gary Mallaber. Lyon also co-wrote about half of the album's tracks, yet he would leave the band in 1982.
- "Two Tickets to Paradise" (Eddie Money) – 3:57
- "You've Really Got a Hold on Me" (Smokey Robinson) – 3:49
- "Wanna Be a Rock 'n' Roll Star" (Money, Chris Solberg) – 3:58
- "Save a Little Room in Your Heart for Me" (Money) – 4:52
- "So Good to Be in Love Again" (Money, Jimmy Lyon) – 4:11
- "Baby Hold On" (Money, Lyon) – 3:30
- "Don't Worry" (Money, Lyon) – 3:43
- "Jealousys" (Money, Lyon) – 3:57
- "Got to Get Another Girl" (Money, Lyon) – 3:25
- "Gamblin' Man" (Money, Dan Alexander, Lyon) – 3:58
- Baby Hold On (1978) #11 US
- Two Tickets to Paradise (1978) #22 US
- You've Really Got a Hold on Me (1979) #72 US
- Eddie Money – vocals, keyboards, harmonica, saxophone
- Jimmy Lyon – guitars
- Gary Mallaber – drums, percussion
- Lonnie Turner – bass guitar
- Gene Pardue – drums
- Bob "Pops" Popwell – bass guitar
- Tom Scott – alto saxophone, tenor saxophone
- Alan Pasqua – keyboards
- Randy Nichols – keyboards, synthesizer, background vocals
- Freddie Webb – keyboards
- Kevin Calhoun – percussion
- Jo Baker – second vocal on "Baby Hold On"