Peng in 2008
|Education||Sir Winston Churchill Secondary School|
|Alma mater||University of British Columbia|
Peng was born in Penghu, Taiwan. He moved to Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada at the age of thirteen. In 2000, he graduated from Sir Winston Churchill Secondary School. Subsequently, he was admitted to the University of British Columbia and majored in economics, but later dropped out to begin his acting career.
Peng began his career when he was cast as in Tomorrow by director Yang Daqing during a summer vacation in Taiwan. The drama is adapted from the Japanese manga series Asunaro Hakusho, written by Fumi Saimon. Peng built a teenage fan following after the romantic comedy gained popularity. In 2003, he took on his first leading role in the Taiwanese drama Scent of Love, which tells the story of two star-crossed lovers who transcend life and death to find one another in their many reincarnations.[deprecated source]
In 2005, he starred in the idol drama When Dolphin Met Cat, portraying an autistic youth. To prepare himself for the filming, Peng took one month to learn how to interact with dolphins from a trained instructor. He then starred in Chinese xianxia drama Chinese Paladin and wuxia drama The Young Warriors, which were extremely popular during their run and led to increased recognition for him in the Mainland.
Thereafter, Peng made his big screen debut in the movie Exit No.6 (2006), directed by Yu-Hsien Lin.[deprecated source] The film put him on the radar of many film directors, including Tsui Hark who cast him in his 2008 romantic comedy, All About Women. In 2007, Peng was nominated as Best New Actor at the 44th Golden Horse Film Festival and Awards for his performance in My DNA Says I Love You.
2009–2010: Contractual disputes
In 2009, Peng was involved in a contract dispute lawsuit against his former manager, reaching the nadir of his career. However, during this period, Peng starred in the movie Hear Me, directed by Fen-Fen Cheng, about a delivery boy who falls for a hearing impaired girl and communicates with her using sign language.[deprecated source] The film was released a week prior to the opening of the 21st Summer Deaflympics, and became the highest grossing locally produced movie at Taiwan's box office.
The same year, he starred as the male lead in the movie Close to You. In order to portray his role as a boxer, Peng trained for three months prior to filming. He was nominated in the Best Actor category at the 2nd Macau International Movie Festival for his performance.
2011–2013: Rising popularity
Peng achieved breakthrough with his performance in the 2011 teen film Jump Ashin!, directed by Yu-Hsien Lin. He reportedly trained eight months to portray an athlete. The film was a critical and commercial success. Peng earned nominations as Best Actor at the 48th Golden Horse Film Festival and 13th Taipei Film Festival, which marked the turning point of his career.
In 2013, Peng starred in action film Unbeatable, playing a Mixed martial arts fighter. Peng practised boxing for four hours a day to portray his character. Unbeatable was the highest grossing local production at the Hong Kong box office, and received positive reviews. The film earned Peng nominations as Best Supporting Actor at the 33rd Hong Kong Film Award and 50th Golden Horse Film Festival and Awards. The same year, Peng starred in romantic comedy A Wedding Invitation alongside Bai Baihe. The film earned nearly 200 million yuan ($32 million) in China, making it the highest-grossing Chinese-South Korean production.
2014–present: Box office success
In 2014, Peng was cast as Wong Fei-hung in Rise of the Legend, the latest film about the iconic Kung-Fu master. He reportedly practiced 10 hours of martial arts every day to prepare for the role. Peng was nominated in the Best Actor category at the 34th Hong Kong Film Award. The same year, he starred in historical drama Sound of the Desert and coming-of-age film Fleet of Time, which were both commercial successes. Peng's achievements in both the film and television industry brought his career to a new height.
In 2015, Peng played a professional cyclist in sports film To the Fore. He reportedly received training and earned qualifications for competitive racing during filming. The film was selected to represent Hong Kong in the best foreign-language film category at the 88th Academy Awards. Peng was also appointed the first Chinese Goodwill Ambassador of the 2015 Tour de France. The same year, Peng starred alongside Shu Qi in romance film The Last Women Standing.
Peng achieved another breakthrough in 2016 with the film Operation Mekong, where he portrayed a hardcore undercover agent along with veteran actor Zhang Hanyu. The film received critical acclaim, and is highest grossing Chinese cop film to date. He also starred in romance film Run for Love alongside Zhang Ziyi, police thriller Cold War 2 as an antagonist, war epic Call of Heroes, and Zhang Yimou's historical epic The Great Wall.
In 2017, Peng co-starred in Han Han's film Duckweed alongside Deng Chao and Zanilia Zhao. The sleeper hit gained commercial and critical success. He then starred in war film Our Time Will Come directed by Ann Hui, playing a complicated anti-hero. Peng then headlined his first film, fantasy epic Wu Kong where he played the title character. The film was a box office success and grossed US$100 million at the box office.
In 2020, Peng starred in The Rescue, a thriller film directed by Dante Lam which focuses on an emergency rescue operative. He is also set to star in period romance film Love After Love , directed by Ann Hui On-wah.
|Year||English title||Original title||Role|
|2005||A Record||记录||Ah Xiang|
|2006||Open To Midnight||午夜照相馆||A Hai|
|2007||Muddy but Pure White||泥巴色的纯白||Tang Xuchuan|
|Exit No. 6||六号出口||Fan Dayin|
|My DNA Says I Love You||基因决定我爱你||Xiao Xiong|
|2008||Sleeplessness All Through the Night||公主在台北彻夜未眠||Gong Ping|
|All About Women||女人不坏||Mo Qiyan|
|My So Called Love||爱的发声练习||A Liang|
|2009||Hear Me||听说||Tian Kuo|
|2010||Lover's Discourse||恋人絮语||Li Guangsheng|
|Close to You||近在咫尺的爱恋||Zhao Dajie|
|2011||Love You You||夏日樂悠悠||You Lele|
|Tai Chi 0||太極1：從零開始||Fang Zijing|
|Tai Chi Hero||太極2：英雄崛起||Fang Zijing|
|Cold War||寒戰||Joe Lee|
|2013||A Wedding Invitation||分手合約||Li Xing|
|2014||Rise of the Legend||黄飛鴻之英雄有夢||Wong Fei-hung|
|Fleet of Time||匆匆那年||Chen Xun|
|2015||12 Golden Ducks||12金鸭||Cameo|
|To the Fore||破風||Qiu Ming|
|The Last Women Standing||剩者為王||Ma Sai|
|2016||Run for Love||奔愛||Feng Yujian|
|Cold War 2||寒戰2||Joe Lee|
|Call of Heroes||危城歼霸||Ma Feng|
|Operation Mekong||湄公河行動||Fang Xinwu|
|The Great Wall||長城||General Wu|
|Wu Kong||悟空傳||Sun Wukong|
|Our Time Will Come||明月幾時有||Liu Heizai|
|2018||Hidden Man||邪不压正||Li Tianran|
|2019||Midnight Diner||深夜食堂||Guest appearance|
|Love After Love||第一炉香|
|Year||English title||Original title||Role|
|2003||Scent of Love||恋香||Jin Chengtian|
|2005||I Only Care About You||我只在乎你||Lin Qingyun|
|Chinese Paladin||仙劍奇侠傳||Tang Yu|
|When Dolphin Met Cat||海豚愛上猫||Xu Wei|
|2006||The Young Warriors||少年楊家將||Yang Yansi /Qilang|
|2007||Wayward Kenting||我在墾丁*天氣晴||Zhong Hanwen[deprecated source]|
|Liao Zhai||聊齋誌異2||Yang Yuedan|
|2008||Honey and Clover||蜂蜜四叶草||Ren Sentian|
|2009||The Concerto||协奏曲||Yuan Hao[deprecated source]|
|2010||My Sassy Girl||牵牛的夏天||Jin Qianniu|
|2014||Sound of the Desert||风中奇缘||Wei Wuji|
|Year||English title||Original title||Released date||Label|
|2010||It Has To Be You||非愛不可||23 April 2010||Avex Taiwan|
|Year||English title||Original title||Album||Notes|
|2003||"Cannot Reject"||不能拒绝||Scent of Love OST|
|2005||"The Sea loves Blue Sky"||大海爱蓝天||When Dolphin Met Cat OST|
|2008||"Give Me Love"||N/A||Honey and Clover OST||with Joe Cheng & Ito Chiaki|
|"Lucky Clover's Happiness"||幸运草的祝福||with Clover Band|
|2013||"Didn't We Agree To It"||我们不是说好了吗||A Wedding Invitation OST||with Bai Baihe|
|2019||"Crazy Waves"||狂浪||The Rescue OST|||
|2005||The Most Beautiful (最美)||Maggie Chiang|
|Happy Together (春光乍泄)|
|One on One (一对一)||Fish Leong|
|2006||Searching for Unicorn (寻找独角兽)||Fiona Sit|
|Lonely Road (寂寞公路)||Yu Yongbang|
|Chase and Chase Again (一追再追)|
|2007||Can't Stop Thinking (想個不停)||Claire Guo|
|2008||Lucky Clover's Happiness (幸运草的祝福)||Clover Band|
|Coastal Highway Exit (沿海公路的出口)||S.H.E|
|Because You Love Me (因為你愛我)||Joanna Wang|
|2010||Break Up Needs Practice (分手需要練習的)||A-Lin|
|Year||English title||Chinese title|
|2004||Photos of Lian Xiang||Eddie & Ben 照相簿/恋香全追踪|
|2005||Eddie Peng's Dolphin Diary||彭于晏的海豚日记|
|2008||Eddie Peng Ken Ding 15x6||彭于晏 垦丁15x6|
Awards and nominations
|2007||44th Golden Horse Film Festival and Awards||Best New Performer||My DNA Says I Love You||Nominated|
|2010||2nd Macau International Movie Festival||Best Actor||Close To You||Nominated|
|2011||13th Taipei Film Festival||Best Actor||Jump Ashin!||Nominated|
|48th Golden Horse Film Festival and Awards||Best Actor||Nominated|
|2012||12th Chinese Film Media Awards||Most Anticipated Actor||Nominated|
|11th Changchun Film Festival||Best Actor||Nominated|
|2013||13th Chinese Film Media Awards||Most Anticipated Performance||Cold War||Nominated|
|50th Golden Horse Film Festival and Awards||Best Supporting Actor||Unbeatable||Nominated|
|2014||14th Chinese Film Media Awards||Most Anticipated Performance||Nominated|
|33rd Hong Kong Film Award||Best Supporting Actor||Nominated|
|12th Changchun Film Festival||Best Supporting Actor||Nominated|
|32nd Hundred Flowers Awards||Best Newcomer||Cold War||Nominated|
|2015||15th Chinese Film Media Awards||Most Anticipated Performance||Rise of the Legend||Nominated|
|34th Hong Kong Film Award||Best Actor||Nominated|
|7th Macau International Movie Festival||Best Actor||To the Fore||Nominated|
|2016||16th Chinese Film Media Awards||Most Anticipated Actor||Nominated|
|2017||24th Beijing College Student Film Festival||Best Actor||Operation Mekong||Nominated|
|20th Shanghai International Film Festival||Best Actor||Our Time Will Come||Nominated|
|9th Macau International Movie Festival||Best Actor||Wu Kong||Nominated|
|2018||12th Asian Film Awards||Best Supporting Actor||Our Time Will Come||Nominated|
|9th China Film Director's Guild Awards||Best Actor||Duckweed||Nominated|
|23rd Huading Awards||Best Actor||Our Time Will Come||Nominated|
|2006||41st Golden Bell Awards||Best Supporting Actor||I Only Care About You||Nominated|
|2008||43rd Golden Bell Awards||Best Actor||Wayward Kenting||Nominated|
|2012||8th Huading Awards||Best Actor (Youth Drama)||My Sassy Girl||Nominated|
|2010||12th TVB8 Mandarin Music On Demand Awards Presentation||Best New Singer (Gold Award)||It Has To Be You||Won|
|2012||11th CCTV-MTV Music Award Ceremony||Most Popular Promising Singer (Hong Kong/Taiwan)||Nominated|
|2010||7th Esquire Man At His Best Awards||Popular Male Artist of the Year (Hong Kong/Taiwan)||N/A||Won|
|2011||3rd Yahoo Asia Buzz Awards||Most Popular Film Actor||N/A||Won|
|2012||9th Esquire Man At His Best Awards||Artist of the Year||N/A||Won|
- "2013 Forbes China Celebrity 100 List: Fan Bingbing in Top Spot". JayneStars. April 24, 2013.
- "2015 Forbes China Celebrity List (Full List)". Forbes. May 13, 2015.
- "2017 Forbes China Celebrity List (Full List)". Forbes. September 22, 2017.
- "福布斯中国发布100名人榜 吴京黄渤胡歌位列前三". Sina (in Chinese). August 20, 2019.
- "SWC Biography". Tribes. March 18, 2007. Archived from the original on April 2, 2015. Retrieved March 29, 2015.
- "独家专访彭于晏：当你流泪，就成了真正的男人". Mtime (in Chinese). April 11, 2013. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- "Why Eddie Peng is one of Asia's most prolific performers". South China Morning Post. October 6, 2017.
- "彭于晏拍"恋香"睡觉怪癖全暴露". Epoch Times (in Chinese). November 24, 2003.
- "《海豚爱上猫》香港开播 彭于晏不怕与明道相比". Sina (in Chinese). July 4, 2006.
- "《少年杨家将》首播 胡歌何润东等七帅哥云集". Sohu (in Chinese). March 14, 2007.
- "彭于晏拍六号出口遇怪事 曾在家中遇外国鬼". Epoch Times (in Chinese). April 15, 2007.
- "第44届台湾电影金马奖完全提名名单". Sohu (in Chinese). January 13, 2007.
- "《听说》开拍 彭于晏陈意涵用手语拍电影". Epoch Times (in Chinese). June 13, 2009.
- "FILM REVIEW: A love story in silence". Taipei Times. August 28, 2009.
- "《听说》上映3天突破160万 再现《海角》奇迹". Sohu (in Chinese). September 1, 2009.
- "彭于晏推出EP《非爱不可》 舒淇友情出演MV". People.com (in Chinese). August 18, 2010.
- "《近在咫尺的爱恋》将映 彭于晏扮演拳击手". Mtime (in Chinese). July 6, 2010.
- "澳门国际电影节今开幕 彭于晏想称帝有得拼". NetEase (in Chinese). December 7, 2010.
- "《阿信》幕后花絮曝光 不一样彭于晏挑战人体极限". Xinhua News Agency (in Chinese). December 9, 2011.
- "《翻滚吧！阿信》五大看点 彭于晏挑战极限". Mtime (in Chinese). December 9, 2011.
- "《夏日乐悠悠》首曝预告 彭于晏生猛Baby女神". Mtime (in Chinese). August 8, 2011.
- "策划：《Love》台湾新生代明星养成记". Sina (in Chinese). February 16, 2012.
- "《寒战》彭于晏受访 称与影帝合作受益良多". Mtime (in Chinese). October 31, 2012.
- "彭于晏《太极》感情戏投入 演"坏人"依旧惹人爱". Mtime (in Chinese). October 22, 2012.
- "冯绍峰彭于晏"以战止战" 《太极2》功夫特辑发布". Mtime (in Chinese). October 18, 2012.
- "赵又廷阮经天彭于晏柯震东领衔台湾电影新天王". Mtime (in Chinese). December 26, 2011.
- "张家辉彭于晏对拳卖"疼" 《激战》新曝海报预告". Mtime (in Chinese). July 23, 2013.
- "'Unbeatable' Earns Its Name at Hong Kong Box Office". The Wall Street Journal. January 3, 2014.
- "宗师14提名领跑金像奖 章子怡汤唯争后". Sina (in Chinese). February 5, 2014. Retrieved 2017-01-03.
- "第50届台湾电影金马奖完整入围名单". Sina (in Chinese). October 1, 2013.
- "A touch of Seoul in Chinese films". China Daily. December 11, 2014.
- "Eddie Peng to play Wong Fei-hung in new film". Sina. August 21, 2013. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- "第34届香港金像奖提名公布 汤唯赵薇周迅争影后". Sohu (in Chinese). February 5, 2015. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- "彭于晏《大漠谣》牵手刘诗诗 变身战神大将军". Tencent (in Chinese). March 3, 2013.
- ""匆匆那年"杀青发"毕业照"海报预告彭于晏、倪妮重穿校服 一秒变"小鲜肉"". Mtime (in Chinese). June 24, 2014.
- "彭于晏"男神影视季" 大小荧屏三连发见证进化史". Xinhua News Agency (in Chinese). September 17, 2014. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- "《破风》首发先导海报&剧照彭于晏颜值爆表 2015"启程"热血青春". Mtime (in Chinese). December 15, 2014.
- "Oscars: Hong Kong Picks 'To the Fore' for Foreign-Language Category". The Hollywood Reporter. September 21, 2015. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- "Eddie Peng elected goodwill ambassador of Tour de France". Yahoo! News. July 14, 2015. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- "滕华涛《剩者为王》主演确定 舒淇彭于晏上演姐弟恋". ifeng (in Chinese). December 18, 2014. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- "Eddie Peng to star in new action thriller". China News Service. August 26, 2016. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- "Movie insiders discuss 'Operation Mekong' success". CCTV.com. November 3, 2016.
- "'Operation Mekong' soars at China box office". Screen Daily. October 10, 2016.
- "Zhang Ziyi and Eddie Peng in new movie". Yahoo News. March 19, 2015. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- "Eddie Peng: It's more interesting to play the pirate in Cold War 2". Today. July 10, 2016. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- "《危城歼霸》吴京彭于晏组合联手引关注". Sina (in Chinese). July 3, 2015.
- "Could The Great Wall star Eddie Peng be the next Bruce Lee?". The Daily Telegraph. August 13, 2016. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- "Chinese 'Duckweed' Features Eddie Peng, Deng Chao in New Trailer". Screen Anarchy. June 20, 2016.
- "China Box Office: 'xXx: Return of Xander Cage' Opens to Massive $61.9M". The Hollywood Reporter. February 12, 2017. Retrieved 2017-02-22.
- Lee, Maggie (February 7, 2017). "Film Review: 'Duckweed'". Variety. Retrieved 2017-02-22.
- Ann Hui's new war epic marks HK's return to China. China Internet Information Center (in Chinese). February 10, 2017.
- "Ann Hui's latest film wins critical acclaim". China Daily.
- "Eddie Peng sets the screen on fire in Derek Kwok's 'WuKong'". cityonfire.com. May 4, 2017.
- "终于！姜文新片《邪不压正》定档暑期". Mtime (in Chinese). February 5, 2018.
- "Why Dante Lam's 'Rescue' May Be a Lifeline for the Chinese Movie Industry (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. February 22, 2019.
- "Eddie Peng, Ma Sichun Join Ann Hui's 'Love After Love'". Variety. May 22, 2019.
- "《午夜照相馆》开镜 彭于晏夏于乔出演(组图)". China Radio International (in Chinese). May 30, 2006.
- "《女人不坏》方中信冯德伦彭于晏造型曝光(图)". Sohu (in Chinese). October 24, 2008.
- "大S携手彭于晏《爱的发声练习》共谱浪漫". Sohu (in Chinese). October 24, 2008.
- "《恋人絮语》蜜爱海报 群星探寻爱情是神马(图)". Sina (in Chinese). December 10, 2012.
- 梁家辉导演处女作《深夜食堂》定档. Mtime (in Chinese). July 3, 2019.
- "彭于晏主演宁浩监制新片《热带往事》". Mtime (in Chinese). July 31, 2018.
- "《我只在乎你》刘松仁彭于晏港台三代演员飙戏". Sohu (in Chinese). August 12, 2005.
- "我在墾丁天氣晴 豆導創療癒系偶像劇名詞". Epoch Times (in Chinese). December 24, 2007.
- "海岩女郎成狐仙 偶像版《聊斋2》10日将开拍". Sohu (in Chinese). November 7, 2006.
- "《蜂蜜幸运草》华娱开播 萌女俊男超无厘头(图)". Sina (in Chinese). April 28, 2009.
- "《协奏曲》 李威、彭于晏 兄弟搞笑耍拳击". Epoch Times (in Chinese). January 27, 2009.
- "《牵牛的夏天》彭于晏爱上野蛮女友". Sina (in Chinese). May 29, 2012.
- "《紧急救援》宣传曲《狂浪》上线 诠释救捞精神". Huanqiu (in Chinese). December 27, 2019.
- "于至高点 作时代先行者". Sohu (in Chinese). December 3, 2010.
- "Yahoo!奇摩人氣大獎完整得獎名單 羅志祥最大贏家". Yahoo (in Chinese). December 4, 2011.
- "彭于晏出席时尚盛典 人气飙升获颁年度艺人". Yule (in Chinese). December 7, 2012.