This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Location||Wakefield, La Pêche, Quebec, Canada|
|Nearest city||Gatineau, Quebec 28 km|
|Vertical||200 m (656 ft)|
|Top elevation||350 m (1,148 ft)|
|Base elevation||150 m (492 ft)|
|Skiable area||160 acres|
|Longest run||1.5 km (0.93 mi)|
|Lift system||4 total
1 detachable quad
2 quadruple chairs
1 magic carpet
|Lift capacity||7,500 skiers/hr|
|Night skiing||13 out of 20 trails|
Sommet Edelweiss is a ski resort located in Wakefield, Quebec, approximately 30 minutes north of Ottawa. It is family oriented and consists of mostly beginner and intermediate terrain. There is a snow tubing park that is popular for families and school field trips. Edelweiss Valley was acquired by Mont Saint-Sauveur International in 2000. The ski area was started by 3 partners, Andy Tommy who ran the ski area and 2 other partners Art Tommy and Reg Lefebvre who ran the ski shop Tommy and Lefebvre. The early years brought lots of improvements such as snowmaking and night skiing, they were open 7 days a week from 8 am to 11 PM .
The Mountain manager was a colourful character Dick Gagne Ho worked there for almost 15 years until he retired.
Some famous ski racers came from Edelweiss, Mike Tommy, Mike Gagne, and many others
Improvements since 2000
Since Mont Saint-Sauveur International acquired Sommet Edelweiss, improvements have included:
- two additional quad chairlifts have been installed. A Doppelmayr quad chairlift (to replace an old Yan double chair), and a Poma quad chairlift (to replace the old Poma double chair).
- a new beginner trail was created (Chemin des Bois) as an addition to the existing Easy Street trail,
- a snow tubing park was opened, serviced by a triple chair and magic carpet,
- snowmaking efficiency and capacity were improved, and grooming.
- A Rockstar Energy Drink sponsored snowpark (MSS Rockstar SnoPrk)