Eden (2015 film)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Shyam Madiraju|
|Produced by||Jaume Collet-Serra|
|Screenplay by||Mark Mavrothalasitis|
|Story by||Nate Parker|
|Music by||José Villalobos|
|Edited by||Todd E. Miller|
|Distributed by||Voltage Pictures|
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (September 2018)
The story is about a United States men's national soccer team plane that crashes off an uninhabited Malaysian tropical island after a FIFA World Cup match. After crash, several players and crew are dead while some have serious injuries. They find themselves in the most dire of circumstances with limited resources, dwindling food supply and no rescue coming any time soon.
Team spirit evaporates as disagreements cause the group to separate into factions – a violent one lead by an Andreas, and a compassionate one led by a Slim.
- Nate Parker as Slim
- Ethan Peck as Andreas
- Diego Boneta as Arnie
- Jessica Lowndes as Elena
- Sung Kang as Connie
- Mario Casas as Felix
- Rob Mayes as Markese
- James Remar as Coach DaFoe
- Eugene Simon as Kennefick
- Joey Pollari as Georgie
- Leore Hayon as Eva
Parker presented the idea to Hernany Perla at Lionsgate Films. The two collaborated on the idea until Parker's agents at the William Morris Endeavor sought Mark Mavrothalasitis to write a screenplay. Parker directed a teaser in order to seek funding for the film prior to June 2013 when Ethan Peck, Diego Boneta and Nate Parker were attached to the project. The North American distribution rights were acquired by Vertical Entertainment in February 2015. Voltage Pictures handled international distribution rights at the 2015 Berlin Film Festival.
The film was met with limited negative reviews. As of February 2016[update], the film does not have an official score at Metacritic because 4 reviews are required. Both of the film's Metacritic reviewers (Michael Rechtshaffen of Los Angeles Times and Chris Packham of The Village Voice) gave the film a 30 score out of 100. Nick Schager of Film Journal International used terms like "insufferable", "third-rate" and "hellish" to summarize the film and described its actors as "lousy".
- Rechtshaffen, Michael (September 17, 2015). "Review Best to vote the hackneyed 'Eden' off the island". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved February 16, 2016.
- McNary, Dave (February 5, 2015). "Berlin: Vertical Buys Ethan Peck-Nate Parker's Thriller 'Eden'". Variety. Retrieved February 16, 2016.
- Kit, Borys (June 27, 2013). "Ethan Peck, Diego Boneta, Nate Parker to Star in Survival Thriller 'Eden' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 16, 2016.
- "Eden". Metacritic. Retrieved February 16, 2016.
- Schager, Nick (September 14, 2015). "Film Review: Eden". Film Journal International. Retrieved February 16, 2016.