Eden and John's East River String Band
Eden and John's East River String Band are a New York City based duo who play country blues from the 1920s and 1930s. The members are John Heneghan (guitar/mandolin/vocals) and Eden Brower (ukulele/vocals). They often have other musicians sit in with them including Dom Flemons of the Grammy Award winning Carolina Chocolate Drops, Pat Conte of the Canebreak Rattlers and Otis Brothers, and Robert Crumb of The Cheap Suit Serenaders. Their second album Some Cold Rainy Day was chosen by David Fricke as one of his "picks" of the month in the November 2008 issue of Rolling Stone.
The East River String Band has released five albums. Their debut Sweet East River (2006) features special guests Sophie Crumb (who also provided the cover artwork) on banjolin, Alec Morton from Raging Slab on bass, Jim Stout on banjo and Sam Hopkins on bottleneck guitar. Some Cold Rainy Day (2008) features special guest pianist Terry Waldo, known for his work with Leon Redbone and Woody Allen. Third album Drunken Barrel House Blues (2009) features special guests Flemons on guitar and quills, Conte on fiddle and Eli Smith on banjo. Their fourth album, Be Kind to a Man When He's Down (2011), boasts guest players Robert Crumb on mandolin, Flemons on guitar and Conte on fiddle, banjo, harmonica and vocals. Their most recent album, "Take a Look at That Baby" (2013), in addition to Crumb, Flemons, and Conte, also includes Ernesto Gomez, Joe Bellulovich, Jackson Lynch and Blind Uncle Otis. The latter four albums all feature cover artwork by Robert Crumb.
|2006||Sweet East River|
|2008||Some Cold Rainy Day|
|2009||Drunken Barrel House Blues|
|2011||Be Kind to a Man When He's Down|
|2013||Take a Look at That Baby|
- Marcus, Richard (September 24, 2008). "Music Review: Eden & John's East River String Band Some Cold Rainy Day". BlogCritics Magazine.
- Mann, Lucas (June 18–24, 2008). "Plucky couple revive rural blues, winning rave reviews". The Villager 78 (3).
- "Gimme Shelter Island". North Fork Sound Online. July 9, 2008.
- Fricke, David (November 13, 2008). "Fricke’s Picks: East Village Blues". Rolling Stone (1065).
- Reviews & Articles
- Gig review/article in The Wall Street Journal
- Article in The Wall Street Journal
- R. Crumb gig review in Wall Street Journal
- Page Six New York Post
- New York Times Paramount article
- Exclaim Magazine review
- Frederick Foxtrott Review of Pete's Candy Store gig.