First volume of Edens Zero, released by Kodansha on September 14, 2018 in Japan
|Genre||Fantasy, science fiction|
|Written by||Hiro Mashima|
|Magazine||Weekly Shōnen Magazine|
|Original run||June 27, 2018 – present|
Edens Zero (Japanese: エデンズゼロ Hepburn: Edenzu Zero) is a Japanese science fiction manga series written and illustrated by Hiro Mashima. The story follows the interstellar adventures of a boy named Shiki Granbell and his friends aboard the titular starship. First releasing on June 27, 2018, it is serialized in Weekly Shōnen Magazine by Kodansha, who publish the series on digital platforms in six other languages simultaneously. Two tankōbon volumes have been released in Japan.
Shiki Granbell is a human who is raised by sentient animatronics on a deserted theme park planet in the Sakura Cosmos. One day, the park is visited by two space travelers – Rebecca and her cybernetic cat companion Happy – whom Shiki befriends while they are there recording videos for the video-sharing website B-Cube. After the park's robots force them off the planet to save Shiki from being stranded before their batteries die, Shiki joins Rebecca and Happy's adventurers guild to explore the universe for the fabled goddess of the cosmos known as Mother. In the process, he obtains the interstellar warship Edens Zero, which was previously used by his late adoptive grandfather, the robotic Demon King Ziggy, during another such failed search.
- Shiki Granbell (シキ・グランベル Shiki Guranberu)
- Shiki is the sole human denizen of the Granbell Kingdom, a fantasy theme park on the robot-inhabited planet Granbell, which Rebecca derives his surname from. As a child, he learns how to use Demon King Ziggy's gravity-based Ether Gear, a superhuman ability that reconfigures the flow of latent "ether" energy in his body into that of a machine, allowing him to change the strength and direction of gravity for himself and others. Shiki aspires to make as many friends outside his planet as possible, but is socially awkward around other humans due to spending most of his life among robots.
- Rebecca (レベッカ Rebekka)
- Rebecca is a girl from the planet Blue Garden who travels to different planets to record videos for her and her partner Happy's online B-Cube account, Aoneko Channel, with the goal of obtaining one million subscribers. She owns and pilots a spaceship called the Aqua Wing, which doubly functions as a seaboat. Ordinarily a bright and energetic girl, she adopts a crass and aggressive personality when in battle, and displays excellent marksmanship with firearms.
- Happy (ハッピー Happī)
- Happy is a blue, anthropomorphic cat alien from the planet Exceed, based on the character of the same name from Hiro Mashima's Fairy Tail series. During Rebecca's childhood, he is killed in a roadside accident and revived in a mechanical body created by Professor Weisz. Acting as Rebecca's companion, he can reconfigure his body into a pair of rayguns called Happy Blasters, which Rebecca uses to fire non-lethal rounds of ether bullets.
- Weisz Steiner (ワイズ・シュタイナー Waizu Shutainā)
- Weisz is an elderly professor and former thief from the planet Norma who uses a form of Ether Gear called Machina Maker to instantaneously build and modify machines. He is responsible for reconstructing Happy as a robot for Rebecca, serving as their benefactor. As a result of a time-devouring chronophage rewinding Norma's time by fifty years, a younger, alternate version of Weisz co-exists with his older self and accompanies Shiki's group to explore the present era.
- E.M. Pino (EMピーノ Ī Emu Pīno)
- Pino is a miniature "anti-bot" android capable of creating an EMP that disables machinery and Ether Gear for short periods of time. Created by Ziggy as his property before having her memories of him erased by Weisz's former criminal gang, she joins Shiki's crew to have her memories restored, eventually acknowledging Shiki as her new master.
- Homura Kōgetsu (ホムラ・コウゲツ)
- Homura is a female samurai who habitually voices everything that comes to her mind. Her Ether Gear is called Soul Blade, which produces a sword made of ether that she can change into different forms. She aids the Edens Zero crew with the intent to challenge the one with the title of Demon King, which Shiki holds following Ziggy's death.
- Demon King Ziggy (魔王ジギー Maō Jigī) is a benevolent robot and former ruler of the Sakura Cosmos who retires to the Granbell Kingdom to raise Shiki after finding him as an infant during his failed search for Mother. He teaches his Gravity Ether Gear ability to Shiki before breaking down during the latter's childhood, leaving Edens Zero as Shiki's inheritance.
- Mother (マザー Mazā) is a planet-sized woman who exists beyond the Sakura Cosmos, where she is regarded as a mythical goddess. She is the subject of countless failed search efforts made by space explorers, with Shiki determined to be the first to verify her existence.
- Elsie Crimson (エルシー・クリムゾン Erushī Kurimuzon) is an armored space pirate who is notorious for conquering the universe's seven "cosmic seas". She delivers Edens Zero to Shiki after searching for him out of debt to the Demon King, using the transformed ship as a storage vessel called the Skull Fairy in the meantime.
- Clarisse Layer (クラリス・レイヤー Kurarisu Reiyā) is the sensitive and friendly receptionist of Shooting Starlight, the adventurers guild that Shiki, Rebecca, and Happy are members of.
- Labilia Christy (ラビリア・クリスティ Rabiria Kurisuti) is a famous B-Cube personality and Shooting Starlight member who has an antagonistic relationship with Rebecca. She becomes fascinated with Shiki's gravity powers after he humiliates her for bullying Rebecca, and intends to make him the focus of one of her videos.
- Xiaomei (シャオメイ Shaomei) is an omniscient girl who serves as the series narrator by breaking the fourth wall.
- Justice (ジャスティス Jasutisu), Victory (ビクトリー Bikutorī), and Creed (クリード Kurīdo) are officers of the Interstellar Union Army, the cosmic government's military force. Justice is modeled after the character Sieg Hart from Rave Master, following a "tradition" of using characters with this design in Mashima's works.
- The Four Shining Stars (四煌星 Shikōsei) are a group of androids built by Ziggy that enhance the functions of Edens Zero to enable travel across hazardous regions of space. Its members consist of Witch (ウィッチ Witchi), who functions as Edens Zero's "shield" by defending and maintaining the ship, and is completely obedient to Shiki; Sister (シスター Shisutā), the "life" of Edens Zero, who repairs damaged machines; and Valkyrie (ヴァルキリー Varukirī) and Hermit (ハーミット Hāmitto), the ship's "sword" and "mind", respectively.
Following the conclusion of his series Fairy Tail on July 26, 2017, Hiro Mashima posted a Tweet on December 31, 2017 promising to start a new series sometime in 2018. After his visit to the Angoulême International Comics Festival in France, Mashima revealed that the new series would be "a new form of fantasy", and that the character Plue from his earlier series Rave Master would appear in the manga. On May 14, 2018, Mashima commented on Twitter that he was becoming "a little confused" due to working simultaneously on this series, a Fairy Tail continuation, and another "secret" project. He also stated that he was coming up with new ideas for the series "one after another". On May 30, 2018, Weekly Shōnen Magazine revealed that the series was tentatively titled Eden's Zero.
The series launched in 2018's 30th issue of Kodansha's shōnen manga magazine Weekly Shōnen Magazine on June 27, 2018. The series is published simultaneously in six different languages: English, French, Chinese, Korean, Thai, and Brazilian Portuguese. North American publisher Kodansha USA will release chapters of the series on digital platforms such as Crunchyroll Manga, ComiXology, and Amazon Kindle. The first tankōbon volume was released on September 14, 2018.
|No.||Title||Japanese release||English release|
|1||To Sky Where Cherry Blossoms Blow|
Sakura Mau Sora ni (桜舞うソラに)
|September 14, 2018 |
ISBN 978-4-06-513235-7 (SE)
|November 6, 2018|
|Shiki is raised from childhood by a community of robots at the Granbell Kingdom, an abandoned theme park. When Shiki is older, the park is visited by two travelers – Rebecca and her robotic cat, Happy – whom Shiki tries to befriend. The next day, the park's robots turn hostile and hold the visitors captive, declaring revenge against humans for discarding them. When the robots attack Shiki as well, he fights back and saves Rebecca using his Gravity Ether Gear ability, earning her friendship. After Rebecca and Happy take Shiki off the planet on their spaceship, the Aqua Wing, the robots express satisfaction over Shiki's escape before simultaneously breaking down, having staged their rebellion to save him from being marooned. The three arrive at the planet Blue Garden and register Shiki into the adventurers guild Shooting Starlight, where Shiki recognizes a hologram of a cosmic goddess called Mother. When the guild disbelieves his supposed encounter with Mother, the three decide to find her and prove her existence, traveling to the planet Norma to acquire a more spaceworthy ship from Rebecca and Happy's benefactor, Professor Weisz Steiner. Upon visiting Weisz's laboratory, they are confronted by a stranger who introduces himself with the professor's name.|
Tetsu no Namida (鉄の涙)
|November 16, 2018 |
|February 5, 2019|
|After the stranger flees with a briefcase he stole from a local criminal gang, Shiki's group realize from a news broadcast that they have been sent fifty years back in time, identifying the stranger as a younger version of the elderly Professor Weisz. While hiding from the gang, the group re-encounter Weisz and accidentally open the stolen briefcase to find E.M. Pino, a robotic EMP unit from their own time period. After Shiki defeats the gang to stop them from exploiting Pino's technology, he and his friends flee Norma together with Pino and a stowaway Weisz, the latter of whom uses his own Ether Gear ability, Machina Maker, to upgrade the Aqua Wing and escape a cloudlike barrier surrounding the planet. The group is contacted by Weisz's present self, who explains that the "past" they visited is actually an alternate reality created after a time-devouring chronophage reverted Norma to an earlier state. Shortly afterward, the Aqua Wing is captured by the space pirate Elsie Crimson, who brings the group aboard her ship, the Skull Fairy. Deciding to take the Skull Fairy for themselves, the group eliminate the alien parasites mimicking Elsie and her crew. The real Elsie congratulates Shiki from her fleet of warships and willingly gives him the Skull Fairy, which she reveals to be his inheritance from his late adoptive grandfather, the robotic Demon King Ziggy.|
|3||TBA||—||April 2, 2019|
|4||TBA||—||June 4, 2019|
Chapters not yet in tankōbon format
These chapters have yet to be published in a tankōbon volume. They were originally serialized in Japanese in issues of Weekly Shōnen Magazine and in English in issues of Crunchyroll Manga from October 2018.
- "The Demon King's Ship" (魔王戦艦 Maō Senkan)
- "Sister" (シスター Shisutā)
- "The Collection" (コレクション Korekushon)
- "Wind Howls on the Highway" (風の鳴くハイウェイ Kaze no Naku Haiwei)
- "Geniuses at Coming Up with Fun Ideas" (楽しい事を考える天才 Tanoshii Koto o Kangaeru Tensai)
- "The Planet Guilst" (惑星ギルスト Wakusei Girusuto)
- "Soul Blade" (ソウルブレイド Sōru Bureido)
- "The Great Naked Escape" (裸の脱出作戦 Hadaka no Dasshutsu Sakusen)
- "Million Bullets" (ミリオンバレット Mirion Baretto)
- "Sister Ivry" (シスター・イヴリィ Shisutā Ivurii)
- "Take Aim" (狙いをさだめて Nerai o Sadamete)
- "Two Sisters" (二人のシスター Futari no Shisutā)
- "The Great Guilst Escape" (ギルスト脱出作戦 Girusuto Dasshutsu Sakusen)
- "New Friends" (新たな仲間たち Aratana Nakama-tachi)
- Hodgkins, Crystalyn (January 28, 2018). "Hiro Mashima Teases More Details About Planned New Work". Anime News Network. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- "EDENS ZERO #1". Comixology. Retrieved June 27, 2018.
- Mashima, Hiro [@hiro_mashima] (November 16, 2018). "エデンズゼロ2巻登場の新キャラの設定資料。真島漫画伝統のデザイン、ジーク系に似てます。" (Tweet) (in Japanese). Retrieved November 16, 2018 – via Twitter.
- Sherman, Jennifer (December 31, 2017). "Fairy Tail Creator Hiro Mashima: 'I'll Work Hard to Launch a New Manga Next Year'". Anime News Network. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- Sherman, Jennifer (May 14, 2018). "Fairy Tail Manga's Hiro Mashima Teases 'Secret' Project". Anime News Network. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- Hodgkins, Crystalyn (May 29, 2018). "Hiro Mashima's New Manga Gets Tentative Title, Simultaneous Release in 5 Languages". Anime News Network. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- Hodgkins, Crystalyn (April 5, 2018). "Hiro Mashima Launches New Manga on June 27, Also Plans Fairy Tail Sequel & Spinoff Manga". Anime News Network. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- "#NovidadeJBC: Edens Zero!!! - Henshin". Henshin (in Portuguese). 2018-06-22. Retrieved 2018-07-26.
- "ＥＤＥＮＳ ＺＥＲＯ（１）". Kodansha (in Japanese). Retrieved September 8, 2018.
- "ＥＤＥＮＳ ＺＥＲＯ（１）特装版". Kodansha (in Japanese). Retrieved September 8, 2018.
- "Edens Zero 1". Penguin Random House. Retrieved July 15, 2018.
- "ＥＤＥＮＳ ＺＥＲＯ（２）". Kodansha (in Japanese). Retrieved October 20, 2018.
- "Edens Zero 2". Penguin Random House. Retrieved July 15, 2018.
- "Edens Zero 3". Penguin Random House. Retrieved July 15, 2018.
- "Edens Zero 4". Penguin Random House. Retrieved September 8, 2018.