Downtown Edgar: C Street
Location of Edgar, Nebraska
|• Total||0.79 sq mi (2.05 km2)|
|• Land||0.79 sq mi (2.05 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,722 ft (525 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||492|
|• Density||630.4/sq mi (243.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0829025|
Edgar is located at (40.369738, -97.970727).
As of the census of 2010, there were 498 people, 212 households, and 120 families residing in the city. The population density was 630.4 inhabitants per square mile (243.4/km2). There were 256 housing units at an average density of 324.1 per square mile (125.1/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 97.6% White, 0.2% Native American, 1.4% from other races, and 0.8% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.6% of the population.
There were 212 households of which 27.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.1% were married couples living together, 6.1% had a female householder with no husband present, 2.4% had a male householder with no wife present, and 43.4% were non-families. 39.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 20.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.22 and the average family size was 3.01.
The median age in the city was 44 years. 22.5% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.1% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 21% were from 25 to 44; 23.2% were from 45 to 64; and 25.9% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 50.0% male and 50.0% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 539 people, 240 households, and 150 families residing in the city. The population density was 707.2 people per square mile (273.8/km²). There were 285 housing units at an average density of 373.9 per square mile (144.8/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 97.77% White, 0.56% African American, 1.11% Native American, 0.19% Asian, 0.37% from other races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.74% of the population.
There were 240 households out of which 25.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.1% were married couples living together, 7.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.5% were non-families. 34.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 22.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.25 and the average family size was 2.87.
In the city the population was spread out with 24.1% under the age of 18, 5.2% from 18 to 24, 24.7% from 25 to 44, 22.3% from 45 to 64, and 23.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 98.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.8 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $29,191, and the median income for a family was $39,286. Males had a median income of $27,417 versus $17,000 for females. The per capita income for the city was $18,447. About 4.9% of families and 7.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.4% of those under age 18 and 10.1% of those age 65 or over.
Sedan is an unincorporated area about 4.5 miles southeast of Edgar on the intersection of Nebraska 65a Spur and County Road 348 in Nuckolls County, which runs next to the Union Pacific railroad. It is the site of the locally-important Aurora Cooperative grain elevator facility with a capacity of 2,668,000 bushels. The United States Postal Service does not recognize Sedan, and requires mail to be addressed to Edgar using its zip code.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-06-24.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-06-24.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-05-29.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Burr, George L. (1921). History of Hamilton and Clay Counties, Nebraska, Volume 1. S.J. Clarke Publishing Company. p. 104.
- "Edgar, Clay County". Center for Advanced Land Management Information Technologies. University of Nebraska. Retrieved August 3, 2014.
- Fitzpatrick, Lillian L. (1960). Nebraska Place-Names. University of Nebraska Press. p. 42. A 1925 edition is available for download at University of Nebraska—Lincoln Digital Commons.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- UPRR Grain Directory
- 68935 Zip Code Detailed Profile on City-data.com
- USPS Zip Code Lookup on "RR 1 Box 144, Sedan NE"