President Calvin Coolidge named him Ambassador to Japan during a recess of the Senate on September 23, 1924. Ambassador MacVeagh presented his credentials to the Japanese government on November 19, 1924. His appointment was subsequently confirmed by the Senate on Jan 21, 1925.
- The Chicago Strike of 1894 (1895)
- The Moral Sentiment of the People: the Index and Foundation of National Greatnes (1896)
- The Sherman Law and Recent Decisions (1911)
- In Memoriam Robert Mather 1859-1911 (1912)
- Doctor Gunsaulus, the citizen (1921)
- The Mission of America and Other War-Time Speeches of Edgar A. Bancroft (1922)
- Speeches and Addresses of His Excellency the Late Edgar A. Bancroft, American Ambassador and Honorary President of the America-Japan Society (1926)
- The Mission of America, and Other War-Ttime Speeches of Edgar A. Bancroft (1927)
- Edgar Bancroft at Find a Grave
- US Department of State, Office of the Historian: Edgar Addison Bancroft, 1858-1925
- "The Cabinet: Bancroft and Sheffield," Time (US), September 8, 1924.
- Tate, Transpacific Steam; page 215
- WorldCat Identities Archived December 30, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.: Bancroft, Edgar Addison 1857-1925
- Tate, E Mowbray (1986). Transpacific Steam: The Story of Steam Navigation from the Pacific Coast of North America to the Far East and the Antipodes, 1867-1941. Cornwall Books. ISBN 0845347926.
|U.S. Ambassador to Japan