Edgar C. Whisenant
Edgar C. Whisenant (September 25, 1932 – May 16, 2001), was a former NASA engineer and Bible student who predicted the Rapture would occur in 1988, sometime between Sept. 11 and Sept. 13. He published two books about this, 88 Reasons Why the Rapture Will Be in 1988 and On Borrowed Time. Eventually, 300,000 copies of 88 Reasons were mailed free of charge to ministers across America, and 4.5 million copies were sold in bookstores and elsewhere. Whisenant was quoted as saying "Only if the Bible is in error am I wrong; and I say that to every preacher in town" and "[I]f there were a king in this country and I could gamble with my life, I would stake my life on Rosh Hashana 88." 
Whisenant's predictions were taken seriously in some parts of the evangelical Christian community. As the date approached, regular programming on the Christian Trinity Broadcast Network (TBN) was interrupted to provide special instructions on preparing for the rapture.
When the predicted rapture failed to occur, Whisenant followed up with later books with predictions for various dates in 1989, 1993, and 1994. These books did not sell in quantity. Whisenant continued to issue various rapture predictions through 1997, but gathered little attention.
- Whisenant, Edgar C. (1988). 88 Reasons Why the Rapture Will Be in 1988. Predicted that the Rapture would occur in 1988.
- Whisenant, Edgar C. (1989). The final shout: Rapture report 1989. Predicted that the Rapture would occur in 1989.
- Whisenant, Edgar C. (1993). 23 reasons why a pre-tribulation rapture looks like it will occur on Rosh-Hashanah 1993. Predicted that the Rapture would occur in 1993.
- Whisenant, Edgar C. (1994). And now the earth's destruction by fire, nuclear bomb fire. Prediction for 1994.
- End time
- False prophet
- Unfulfilled Christian religious predictions
- Escalation of commitment
- Great Disappointment
- Social comparison theory
- True-believer syndrome
- Watch Tower Society unfulfilled predictions
- List of prophecies of Joseph Smith
- 2011 end times prediction
- Burned-over district
- Harold Camping
- Predictions and claims for the Second Coming of Christ
- When Prophecy Fails