February 22, 1984 |
San Luis Rio Colorado, Sonora, Mexico
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg; 12 st), 185 lb (84 kg; 13.2 st)|
|Reach||71.0 in (180 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Yuma, Arizona, United States|
|Team||Yuma United Mixed Martial Arts|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Edgar García (born February 22, 1984) is a Mexican mixed martial artist. Edgar wrestled for Cibola High School in Yuma, Arizona earning a state wrestling championship.
Mixed martial arts career
García made his WEC debut on January 25, 2009, facing Hiromitsu Miura at WEC 38. García, being the underdog coming into the fight, managed to knockout Miura out little over a minute into the first round.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
After the folding of the WEC Welterweight division, the Ultimate Fighting Championship picked up his contract and he made his UFC debut at The Ultimate Fighter: United States vs. United Kingdom Finale, losing a controversial split decision to Brad Blackburn. After the decision was read, the fans at the arena booed Blackburn very loudly, and UFC commentator Joe Rogan implied that García should have won the decision.
At UFC 107, García lost to DaMarques Johnson by triangle choke in the first round. At the conclusion of UFC 107, García was released from the promotion along with Kevin Burns, Shane Nelson and Darrill Schoonover.
Garcia was expected to face Sheldon Westcott on December 10, 2015 at UFC Fight Night 80. However, the pairing was moved to UFC 195 a few weeks later to bolster the card. He lost the fight via TKO in the first round.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|19 matches||14 wins||5 losses|
|Loss||14–5||Sheldon Westcott||TKO (punches)||UFC 195||January 2, 2016||1||3:12||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||14–4||Héctor Urbina||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC 180||November 15, 2014||1||3:38||Mexico City, Mexico|
|Win||14–3||Jordan Smith||Decision (split)||Showdown Fights 13 - Lopez vs. Castillo||January 24, 2014||3||5:00||Orem, Utah, United States|
|Win||13–3||Leroy Fornof||Submission (kimura)||WFF: Pascua Yaqui Fights 4||March 2, 2013||1||1:54||Tucson, Arizona, United States|
|Win||12–3||Ty Tecumseh||TKO (punches)||Desert Rage Full Contact Fighting 11||October 20, 2012||1||1:12||Yuma, Arizona, United States|
|Win||11–3||Patrick Dixon||Submission (guillotine choke)||WFF 8: Fight at the Fields||May 12, 2012||1||0:32||Scottsdale, Arizona, United States|
|Loss||10–3||Jacob Ortiz||KO (punch)||Bellator 55||October 22, 2011||1||4:06||Yuma, Arizona, United States|
|Win||10–2||Jason Anderson||TKO (punches)||Desert Rage Full Contact Fighting 9||March 18, 2011||1||0:58||Yuma, Arizona, United States|
|Win||9–2||Mike Moreno||Submission (guillotine choke)||TPF 8: All or Nothing||February 18, 2011||1||1:47||Lemoore, California, United States||Middleweight debut.|
|Win||8–2||Alejandro Velasquez||Submission (triangle choke)||LAF 1: Border Wars||December 11, 2010||2||2:16||Mexicali, Mexico|
|Loss||7–2||DaMarques Johnson||Submission (triangle choke)||UFC 107||December 12, 2009||1||4:03||Memphis, Tennessee, United States|
|Loss||7–1||Brad Blackburn||Decision (split)||The Ultimate Fighter: United States vs. United Kingdom Finale||June 20, 2009||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||7–0||Hiromitsu Miura||KO (punches)||WEC 38||January 25, 2009||1||1:18||San Diego, California, United States|
|Win||6–0||Waylon Kennell||TKO (punches)||Total Combat 30||August 2, 2008||1||3:46||Alpine, California, United States|
|Win||5–0||Sean Loeffler||Submission (injury)||Total Combat: Nevada||May 10, 2008||1||1:59||Laughlin, Nevada, United States|
|Win||4–0||Efrain Rodriguez||KO (punches)||Total Combat 27||March 22, 2008||1||N/A||Yuma, Arizona, United States|
|Win||3–0||Jeremy Larsen||Decision (unanimous)||Cage Supremacy 3||December 8, 2007||3||5:00||Tucson, Arizona, United States|
|Win||2–0||Matt Lagler||TKO (punches)||Desert Rage Full Contact Fighting 2||October 20, 2007||1||2:22||Mexicali, Mexico|
|Win||1–0||Tony Kalani||KO (punches)||Desert Rage Full Contact Fighting 1||June 30, 2007||1||N/A||Baja, California, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC 180 Werdum vs. Hunt". UFC.com. Retrieved November 16, 2014.
- "Hiromitsu Miura to return at WEC 38 vs. newcomer Edgar Garcia". fiveouncesofpain.com. December 22, 2008.
- "Edgar Garcia vs. Hiromitsu Miura". tapology.com. January 25, 2009.
- "Brad Blackburn meets UFC newcomer Edgar Garcia at TUF9 Finale". mmajunkie.com. March 13, 2009.
- "Melvin Guillard, Brad Blackburn earn baffling split-decision wins in TUF 9 Finale prelims". mmajunkie.com. June 21, 2009.
- "UFC 107: DaMarques Johnson vs Edgar Garcia on tap for Dec. 12". mmamania.com. October 1, 2009.
- "Submission of the Week: DaMarques Johnson vs Edgar Garcia". ufc.com. April 5, 2012.
- "UFC cuts Kevin Burns, Edgar Garcia, Shane Nelson and Darrill Schoonover". mmamania.com. December 28, 2009.
- "Showdown Fights 13 Results: Dave Castillo, Clay Collard and Edgar Garcia Win in Utah - 1/24/14". mmamadman.com. 2014-01-25.
- Jason Floyd (September 30, 2014). "Edgar Garcia vs. Hector Urbina slated for UFC 180". themmareport.com. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- Staff (May 11, 2015). "Andrew Craig vs. Edgar Garcia added to UFC Fight Night 71 in San Diego". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved May 11, 2015.
- Staff (2015-06-24). "Lyman Good signs with UFC, replaces Edgar Garcia at UFC Fight Night 71 against Andrew Craig". themmareport.com. Retrieved 2015-06-24.
- Staff (2015-09-17). "UFC Fight Night 80 gets slew of new bouts". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-09-17.
- Staff (2015-10-19). "Sheldon Westcott vs. Edgar Garcia moves to UFC 195 in January". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-10-19.
- Brent Brookhouse (2016-01-02). "UFC 195 results: Sheldon Westcott pounds out Edgar Garcia with ease in first round". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-01-02.