|Born||February 7, 1974 (age 42)
|Education||Universidad Nacional de Ingeniería (B.S.), Universidad ESAN (M.M.), Columbia Business School (M.B.A.)|
|Occupation||Author of "The Speed Traders" and "Knightmare on Wall Street" and Course Director of "Cybersecurity Boardroom Workshop" and "The Speed Traders Workshop"|
|Cybersecurity, High-frequency trading, Investing, Finance|
Edgar Perez (born February 7, 1974) is an American-Peruvian author, speaker and entrepreneur, who now lives in the U.S. He is the author of The Speed Traders and Knightmare on Wall Street, and has been featured internationally on cybersecurity, high-frequency trading, financial regulation and international economics.
Perez was born in Lima, Peru. From 1990 to 1994, he attended Universidad Nacional de Ingeniería, earning a B.S. in Systems Engineering. He was the youngest graduate ever to receive a Masters in Management from Universidad ESAN in 1997, where his thesis advisor was Alejandro Toledo, former President of Peru. He later attended Columbia Business School and received his M.B.A. in Finance and Management.
Perez's first book is entitled The Speed Traders: An Insider’s Look at the New High-Frequency Trading Phenomenon That is Transforming the Investing World and details the history of the high-frequency trading through a chronological style as well as details of some of its public misconceptions around the Flash Crash. This book includes a thorough discussion of the interaction between high frequency traders and retail and institutional investors as well as detailed interviews with practitioners from American and European firms.
On August 1, 2013, Perez released his second book, Knightmare on Wall Street: The Rise and Fall of Knight Capital and the Biggest Risk for Financial Markets. Knightmare on Wall Street is the account of the hours following Knight Capital's August 1, 2012 trading disruption which led to a $400 million rescue by Jefferies, Blackstone Group, GETCO, Stifel Financial, TD Ameritrade and Stephens. Perez's book reviews the initial years of Knight Capital since its founding in 1995 by Walter Raquet and Kenneth Pasternak, and closes with the acquisition of the company by GETCO; the combination was later renamed KCG Holdings.
Perez is the founder of Golden Networking, a networking community for business executives, entrepreneurs, and investors; their receptions and forums are geared towards growing interest in modern finance, disruptive technologies and emerging economies. He hosts Cyber Security, High Frequency Trading, Hedge Funds and Private Equity business forums for information security specialists, traders, quants, managers and investors.
Perez is also the course director of the Cybersecurity Boardroom Workshop and The Speed Traders Workshop series in the globe's major financial centers, including Singapore, Hong Kong, New York City, London, Sao Paulo, Seoul, Kuala Lumpur, Warsaw, Kiev, Beijing and Shanghai. Cybersecurity Boardroom Workshop discusses how boards of directors and senior managers can build the proper foundation to address today's information security challenges. The Speed Traders Workshop discusses how high-frequency traders and quants are expanding electronic trading in the financial markets and driving the development of algorithmic trading globally.
Perez has been featured in a number of interviews with CNBC, such as Cash Flow and Squawk Box, China Business News, China Central Television, Bankier.pl, TheStreet.com, among others, to discuss topics including high-frequency trading, financial regulation and international economics. He has been featured in articles by The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, The Star, Dallas Morning News, International Finance News, Valor Economico, Caixin, Yicai, and many other newspapers.
Perez has presented at a number of academic and professional institutions including the Council on Foreign Relations, CME Group’s Global Financial Leadership Conference 2012, Quant Investment & HFT Summit APAC 2012 Shanghai, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, CFA Singapore, Hong Kong Securities Institute, Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences at New York University, Beijing University of International Business and Economics, Hult International Business School Shanghai, Vadym Hetman Kyiv National Economic University Kiev, Pace University New York, Harvard Business School’s Venture Capital & Private Equity Conference, MIT Sloan School of Management Investment Management Conference, Institutional Investor’s Global Growth Markets Forum (London) and FIXGlobal Face2Face.
Perez is currently situated in New York City. He is a Council Member of the Gerson Lehrman Group (GLG) and Guidepoint Global Advisors, former consultant with McKinsey & Company, senior consultant with IBM Global Services, and vice president at Citigroup.
- Turning Happy Hour Into a Global Job Search, "The New York Times", "November 6, 2009"
- Interview in Malaysia "Leaderonomicsmedia", "April 27, 2012"
- CNBC Interview: High-Frequency Trading with Edgar Perez, "CNBC", "June 23, 2011"
- High Frecuency Trading or a million in a second,"Bankier.pl", "April 29, 2011"
- High Frecuency Traders Not the Enemy, "The Street", June 9, 2011"
- SE Asia to Power Asian Growth for Next Two Decades, "The Wall Street Journal", "August 3, 2012"
- Don’t Ban the Trades; Regulate Them in Real Time, "The New York Times", "August 27, 2012"
- Up Close and Personal with Edgar Perez, "The Star", "May 19, 2012"
- High Frecuency Traders Push Boundaries and Market Volatility, "Dallas News", "October 3, 2011"
- High Frecuency Must Turn 20% of The Bag Until The End of The Year, "Valor Economico", "June 2, 2012"
- High Frecuency Dispute, "Magazine Caixin", "June 11, 2012"
- High-frequency trading is not in contradiction with the value of the investment, "Yicai.com", "June 12, 2012"
- The Present and Future of High-Frequency Trading, "CFA Singapore", "June 21, 2011"
- The Present and Future of High-Frequency Trading, "New York University", "November 8, 2011"
- High Frequency Trading: Beyond Buffett and Soros's investment securities new model, "UIBE School of Banking and Finance", "June 4, 2012"
- Edgar Perez official website