Edge of Darkness (soundtrack)
|Edge of Darkness|
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Soundtrack, instrumental rock, hard rock|
|Label||BBC Records & Tapes|
|Eric Clapton chronology|
Edge of Darkness is the 1985 soundtrack by Eric Clapton and Michael Kamen for the British television series Edge of Darkness. The soundtrack's theme won the Ivor Novello Award for songwriting and composing, besides winning the 1986 BAFTA Award for Best Music.
Background and performance
For Clapton, it was his first experience writing for film; shortly after attending Terry Gilliam's movie Brazil with his friend Kamen, who had scored the film, he received a call from the BBC asking him to do the music for Edge of Darkness, and he subsequently asked Kamen for assistance.
In the early 1990s Clapton performed the music live, with the National Philharmonic Orchestra under the direction of Michael Kamen; the title song from one of those performances is captured on 24 Nights.
The soundtrack attracted few reviews. The Age mentioned the music in a review of the series, saying that Clapton's music matched the mysterious and shadowy feel of the drama; The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, again in a review of the TV series, said the accompanying music was "particularly noteworthy."
The single reached No. 65 on the British charts, on which it spent three weeks in January 1986.
- "Edge of Darkness" (3:19)
- "Shoot Out" (3:48)
- "Obituary" (2:09)
- "Escape From Northmoor" (3:09)
- "Oxford Circus" (3:17)
- "Northmoor" (3:02)
Originally sold as a 45 rpm 12" record and as a cassette, it was re-released in February 1989 as a 3" CD single (with a cover changed from the record's mainly black and red cover). A live version on the main theme was issued on a single together with a live version of "Wonderful Tonight" in 1991, and on the 1991 live album 24 Nights.
- Strong, Martin Charles; John Peel (2004). The great rock discography. Canongate US. p. 290. ISBN 978-1-84195-615-2. Retrieved 3 July 2010.
- Brandt, George W. (1993). British television drama in the 1980s. Cambridge UP. p. 117. ISBN 978-0-521-42723-4.
- Shapiro, Harry (1992). Eric Clapton: lost in the blues. Da Capo. p. 164. ISBN 978-0-306-80480-9.
- Bowling, David; Clapton, Eric (2013). Eric Clapton FAQ: All That's Left to Know About Slowhand. Backbeat Books. pp. 165–66. ISBN 9781617135743.
- Sandford, Christopher (1999). Clapton, Edge of Darkness. Da Capo Press. p. 254. ISBN 9780306808975.
- Smith, Michael (16 July 1986). "'Edge of Darkness': a repeat,-if-you-please". The Age. Retrieved 3 July 2010.
- "PBS Drama Will Put Viewers on 'Edge'". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. 5 November 1989.
- Warwick, Neil; Jon Kutner; Tony Brown (2004). The complete book of the British charts: singles & albums. Omnibus. p. 194. ISBN 978-1-84449-058-5. Retrieved 3 July 2010.
- Strong, Martin Charles; John Peel (2004). The great rock discography. Canongate US. p. 292. ISBN 978-1-84195-615-2. Retrieved 3 July 2010.
- Schumacher, Michael (2003). Crossroads: the life and music of Eric Clapton. Citadel Pres. p. 369. ISBN 978-0-8065-2466-5.
- Schumacher 371-72.