|Productions||2007 Albany, New York
2008 Toronto, Canada
2010 Sydney, Australia
2011 London, UK
2011 Cape Town, South Africa
|Awards||Jonathan Larson Award|
Edges (sometimes produced as Edges: A Song Cycle) is a work of musical theatre by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul. It is a song cycle about coming of age, growth and self-discovery of people mostly in their 20s. Its most famous song, "Be My Friend", has come to be commonly known as the "Facebook song".
The musical was written by Pasek and Paul in 2005 when they were 19-year-old undergraduates in musical theatre at the University of Michigan. They decided to write their own show after being unhappy with the roles they were assigned in musical theatre productions at the school.
In 2006 the duo won a $20,000 Jonathan Larson Award, becoming the youngest to have ever won the award, which was established by the estate of Rent composer Jonathan Larson to encourage composers, lyricists, and bookwriters at the beginning of their careers.
After over 30 productions at colleges across the United States, the first professional production was at the Capital Repertory Theatre in Albany, New York in 2007 starring Colin Hanlon, Whitney Bashor, Farah Alvin and Steven Booth. Justin Paul was musical director for the production. The show has now been done over 100 times across North America, Asia, Australia, Europe and Africa.
A 2008 Toronto production featured Sara Farb, Jordan Bell, Eric Craig and Gabi Epstein.
In 2010, Edges was brought out to Australia by James Anthony Productions in Sydney to the Parade Theatre in Kensington.
A non professional production was performed at the Landor Theatre, London, UK from May 31, 2011 to June 5, 2011, the inaugural production of Notion Theatre Company, directed by Katherine Hare and with musical direction by Leigh Thompson.
The South African premiere production took place in June 2011, directed by Paul Griffiths with musical direction by Garth Tavares. The cast featured Roland Perold, Luella Holland, Shannyn Fourie and David Fick. The production toured the South African National Arts Festival in Grahamstown in July.
Edges made its Singapore premiere in April 2013 at the Drama Centre. It was staged by Derrick Chew, Artistic Director of Sightlines Productions with musical direction by Joel Nah. The cast included Benjamin Kheng, Mina Kaye, Kristy Griffin and Linden Furnell.
Edges made its premiere in Paris, France in June 2013 presented by American Musical Theatre Live. The production was directed by Stéphane Ly-Cuong with musical direction by John Florencio and vocal direction by Miranda Crispin.
The UK professional premiere took place at the Tabard Theatre from 29 July - 30 August 2014 with direction by Adam Philpott and Choreography by Lewis Butler 
- "Lying There"
- "I Hmm You"
- "Along the Way"
- "Pretty Sweet Day"
- "In Short"
- "I Once Knew"
- "I've Gotta Run"
- "Part of a Painting"
- "Ready to Be Loved"
- "Like Breathing"
- "Giant World"
- "Boy with Dreams"
- "Be My Friend"
- "Caitlyn and Haley"
- "Man of My Dreams"
- "One Reason"
Samples of the songs can be found at the composers' official site.
- Keyes, Bob. "Coming-of-age musical 'Edges' in Maine debut", Portland Press Herald, 2006-06-29, p. D9.
- Thomas, Colin. "Songs from the edge", The Georgia Straight, 2008-02-21. Retrieved on 2008-10-29.
- Ouzounian, Richard. "Musical aimed at Facebook generation", Toronto Star, 2008-10-27, p. L4.
- Barnes, Steve. "'Edges' creators set their sights on Broadway", Times Union, 2007-10-28, p. H1.
- Eck, Michael. "Could Capital Rep's 'Edges' be next 'Rent'?", Times Union, 2007-10-19, p. E6.
- Ouzounian, Richard. "Musical journey of self-discovery is breaking all of the rules", Toronto Star, 2008-10-28, p. L8.
- Agulhas, Amanda (ed.)."EDGES at Kalk Bay Theatre" Cape Town Magazine, June 04, 2011
- "Benj Pasek and Justin Paul's Edges Will Make Paris Debut". Playbill. June 7, 2013.
- Edges at the Music Theatre International website