Location of Edgewood, Maryland
|• Total||18.0 sq mi (46.7 km2)|
|• Land||17.9 sq mi (46.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|• Density||1,303.9/sq mi (503.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
Edgewood is located at (39.430275, -76.305555).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 18.0 square miles (47 km2), of which, 17.9 square miles (46 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (0.55%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 23,378 people, 8,299 households, and 6,224 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 1,303.9 people per square mile (503.4/km²). There were 8,834 housing units at an average density of 492.7 per square mile (190.2/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 68.10% White, 25.66% African American, 0.40% Native American, 1.64% Asian, 0.09% Pacific Islander, 1.40% from other races, and 2.70% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.40% of the population.
There were 8,299 households out of which 43.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.2% were married couples living together, 19.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.0% were non-families. 19.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.81 and the average family size was 3.21.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 32.2% under the age of 18, 9.0% from 18 to 24, 33.0% from 25 to 44, 19.6% from 45 to 64, and 6.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 31 years. For every 100 females there were 92.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.5 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $47,150, and the median income for a family was $50,276. Males had a median income of $36,076 versus $27,214 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $17,943. About 8.5% of families and 10.3% of the population were below the poverty line including 14.8% of those under age 18 and 9.3% of those age 65 or over.
Notable residents and natives
- Brandon Albert, Offensive Guard for the Kansas City Chiefs of the National Football League, resident
- Johnathon Schaech, actor, born in Edgewood on September 10, 1969
- Zach Thornton, goalie for Chicago Fire of Major League Soccer, born in Edgewood on October 10, 1973
- Frank Zappa, American composer, musician, and film director, lived in the area from the late 1940s to the early 1950s
- Staff (2008-04-15). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Edgewood, Maryland.|