Edinburg Township, Portage County, Ohio
Location within Portage County
|• Total||24.5 sq mi (63.4 km2)|
|• Land||24.2 sq mi (62.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.7 km2)|
|Elevation||1,181 ft (360 m)|
|• Density||96.9/sq mi (37.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP code||44272 and 44266|
|GNIS feature ID||1086826|
Located in the southeastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Charlestown Township - north
- Paris Township - northeast corner
- Palmyra Township - east
- Deerfield Township - southeast corner
- Atwater Township - south
- Randolph Township - southwest corner
- Rootstown Township - west
- Ravenna Township - northwest corner
No municipalities are located in Edinburg Township.
Formed from the Connecticut Western Reserve, Edinburg Township covers an area of 24 sq mi (62 km2).
Name and history
It is the only Edinburg Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Portage County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- History of Portage County, Ohio: Containing a History of the County, Its Townships, Towns, Villages, Schools, Churches, Industries, Etc. Warner, Beers & Company. 1885. p. 425.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 114.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.