Edinburgh South West (UK Parliament constituency)
|Edinburgh South West|
for the House of Commons
|Subdivisions of Scotland||City of Edinburgh|
|Major settlements||Wester Hailes, Bonaly, Balerno, Gorgie|
|Member of Parliament||Joanna Cherry (SNP)|
|Created from||Edinburgh Pentlands and Edinburgh Central|
Edinburgh South West is a Scottish constituency of the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom (Westminster), first used in the 2005 general election. It elects one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post system of election. It is currently represented by Joanna Cherry of the SNP since 2015.
Edinburgh South West covers a south western portion of the city around the Lanark Road. It has an urban north east including Gorgie and Slateford, and a suburban centre including Wester Hailes. The southwest part is rural and extends into the Pentland Hills.
The seat is left-leaning and pro-EU, with wealthier residents than the UK average.
Edinburgh South West is one of five constituencies covering the City of Edinburgh council area. All are entirely within the city council area.
Prior to the 2005 general election, the city area had been covered by six constituencies and, of the six, there was one, Edinburgh East and Musselburgh, which straddled the boundary with the East Lothian council area, to include Musselburgh.
Edinburgh South West is mostly a replacement for the former Edinburgh Pentlands constituency, but excludes some of the east of that constituency. Also, it includes a south western portion of the former Edinburgh Central constituency. The Scottish Parliament uses different boundaries. Edinburgh South West is mostly contained within the Edinburgh Pentlands constituency for elections to the Scottish Parliament, with some parts of the north and east of the seat being located in the constituencies of Edinburgh Central, Edinburgh Southern and Edinburgh Western.
The constituency comprises the following wards of the City of Edinburgh Council which were used in elections to the council at the time of the constituency's first contest in 2005: Balerno, Baberton, Colinton, Craiglockhart, Dalry, Firrhill, Fountainbridge, Moat, Murrayburn, Parkhead, Shandon and Sighthill. As a result of the Local Governance (Scotland) Act 2004, these wards were replaced with new wards in 2007. Current ward boundaries are not aligned with the constituency boundaries.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrats||Tom Inglis||4,971||9.5||5.2|
|Brexit Party||David Ballantine||625||1.2||New|
|Liberal Democrats||Aisha Mir||2,124||4.3||0.6|
|Liberal Democrats||Daniel Farthing-Sykes||1,920||3.7||14.3|
|SNP gain from Labour||Swing||23.2|
|Liberal Democrats||Tim McKay||8,194||18.0||3.1|
|Scottish Socialist||Colin Fox||319||0.7||0.6|
|Communist League||Caroline Bellamy||48||0.1||New|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrats||Simon Clark||9,252||21.1||+9.4|
|Scottish Socialist||Pat Smith||585||1.3||-1.0|
|Labour win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- Electoral Calculus https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/seatdetails.py?seat=Edinburgh+South+West
- Fifth Periodical Review, Boundary Commission for Scotland Archived 21 September 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- "UK Parliamentary General Election - 12 December 2019". The City of Edinburgh Council. The City of Edinburgh Council. Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- "Edinburgh South West parliamentary constituency - Election 2019". BBC News. Retrieved 16 December 2019.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 14 May 2017. Retrieved 11 May 2017.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Council, The City of Edinburgh. "UK Parliamentary election results 2015 | The City of Edinburgh Council". www.edinburgh.gov.uk.
- "SNP pin election hopes on high profile Yes campaigners". HeraldScotland.
- Stephen, Phyllis (22 November 2018). "Ricky Demarco leads the charge against demolition of St John's". The Edinburgh Reporter.
- "Gordon Lindhurst selected for Edinburgh South West". Edinburgh.
- https://twitter.comSighthillGorgie[permanent dead link]
- "UK Polling Report". ukpollingreport.co.uk.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.