Location of Edirne Province in Turkey
|• Electoral district||Edirne|
|• Total||6,279 km2 (2,424 sq mi)|
|• Density||66/km2 (170/sq mi)|
Edirne Province (Turkish: Edirne ili) is a Turkish province located in East Thrace. Part of European Turkey, it is one of only three provinces located entirely within continental Europe. Edirne Province is bordered by Tekirdağ Province and Kırklareli Province to the east, and the Gallipoli peninsula of Çanakkale Province to the south-east. It shares international borders with Bulgaria to the north and Greece to the west.
Edirne is the capital of the province, and the largest city.
Edirne province was included in the Second Inspectorate General which was created on the 19 February 1934 and extended over the provinces of Edirne, Çanakkale, Kırklareli, Tekirdağ. It was ruled by an Inspector General, who had wide-ranging authorities over civilian, military and educational matters. The office of the Inspectorate-General was abandoned in 1948 but the legal framework of the Inspectorate-Generals was only abolished in 1952, under the Government of the Democrat Party.
Edirne province is divided into 9 districts (capital district in bold):
- "Population of provinces by years - 2000-2018". Turkish Statistical Institute. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
- Cagaptay, Soner (2006). Islam, Secularism, and Nationalism in Modern Turkey; Who is a Turk. Routledge. p. 47.
- Pekesen, Berna (16 December 2019). Florian, Riedler; Kravietz, Birgit (eds.). The Heritage of Edirne in Ottoman and Turkish Times: Continuities, Disruptions and Reconnections. Walter de Gruyter GmbH & Co KG. pp. 423–424. ISBN 978-3-11-063908-7.
- Bayir, Derya (2016-04-22). Minorities and Nationalism in Turkish Law. Routledge. p. 141. ISBN 978-1-317-09579-8.
- Bozarslan, Hamit (2008-04-17). Fleet, Kate; Faroqhi, Suraiya; Kasaba, Reşat; Kunt, I. Metin (eds.). The Cambridge History of Turkey. Cambridge University Press. p. 343. ISBN 978-0-521-62096-3.
- Genel Nüfus Sayımları
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Edirne Province.|
- Edirne governor's official website (in Turkish)
- Edirne municipality's official website (in Turkish)
- Pictures of the capital of this province with its many great mosques
- Edirne Weather Forecast Information
|This geographical article about a location in Edirne Province, Turkey is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|