Edison City Hall
Location in Calhoun County and the state of Georgia
|• Total||2.4 sq mi (6.1 km2)|
|• Land||2.4 sq mi (6.1 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||292 ft (89 m)|
|• Density||654/sq mi (252.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP codes||31746, 39846|
|GNIS feature ID||0355643|
Edison is a city in Calhoun County, Georgia, United States. The population was 1,531 at the 2010 census. The Edison Commercial Historic District is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,340 people, 512 households, and 334 families residing in the city. The population density was 575.9 people per square mile (222.1/km²). There were 584 housing units at an average density of 251.0 per square mile (96.8/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 31.94% White, 67.69% African American, and 0.37% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.27% of the population.
There were 512 households out of which 31.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 34.2% were married couples living together, 28.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.6% were non-families. 32.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.46 and the average family size was 3.13.
In the city, the population was spread out with 27.5% under the age of 18, 8.9% from 18 to 24, 22.3% from 25 to 44, 20.4% from 45 to 64, and 21.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 74.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 62.0 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $19,191, and the median income for a family was $23,839. Males had a median income of $22,500 versus $15,813 for females. The per capita income for the city was $10,409. About 31.2% of families and 34.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 49.9% of those under age 18 and 24.4% of those age 65 or over.
The Calhoun County School System includes Calhoun County High School-Middle School, which serves Calhoun County and some students from the cities of Arlington, Edison, Leary, and Morgan. Calhoun County Elementary School is in Arlington.
- Leila Collins, Southwest Georgia Academy alum; granddaughter of Martha Dozier
- Marlena Collins, Georgia State University alum; granddaughter of Martha Dozier
- Robert Coram, author and journalist
- Bobby Dews, former infielder and former coach in Major League Baseball
- Corliss Palmer, silent screen actress
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Edison city, Georgia". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- Calhoun County School System
- Martha Hoover Dozier, Against Oblivion: History of Calhoun County