|Awarded for||Honoring excellence in new product and service development, marketing, human-centered design and innovation.|
The Edison Awards honor excellence in new product and service development, marketing, human-centered design and innovation. Award winners represent "game changing" products, services and excellence and leadership in innovation around four criteria: Concept, Value, Delivery and Impact. The Awards are named after innovator Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931) and symbolize the persistence and excellence in innovation personified by him. Additionally, Edison Green Awards and Edison Achievement Awards are bestowed each year. Originally established in 1987 by the American Marketing Association, The Edison Awards became an independent organization in 2008.
The Edison Award
Annually, beginning in September, nominations are sought from product and service innovators in fifteen categories. A nomination fee of ~$1000 is required, and then nominations are vetted by members of the Edison Award Steering Committee, who present a slate of finalists to the Panel of Judges. The panel is composed of over 3,000 senior business executives and academics from across the nation, whose votes acknowledge excellence in meeting the award criteria - concept, value, delivery and impact. Awards are presented at an annual event, usually in April. Past events have been held in New York, NY, Chicago, IL, and San Francisco, CA. Gold, Silver, and Bronze awards are given in each category.
The 2017 Edison Award Categories are:
Applied Technology Athletics, Sports & Recreation Collective Disruption Consumer Electronics & Information Technology Consumer Goods Energy & Sustainability Health & Wellness Industrial Design Innovative Services Living, Working & Learning Environments Media, Visual Communications & Entertainment Medical/Dental Science Social Innovation Transportation & Logistics
Edison Achievement Award
The Edison Achievement Award™ recognizes one or more individuals who, through their careers, their leadership and their achievements, have distinguished themselves by making a significant and lasting contribution to the world of innovation. Unlike the Edison Awards™, nominations for the Edison Achievement Award™ are not solicited. Rather, the Edison Steering Committee announces winners annually in the fall. The winners are honored at the annual event the following April.
- 2017 - Jeff Immelt – General Electric
- 2017 - Astro Teller – X
- 2016 - John Chambers – Cisco Systems, Inc.
- 2015 - Clayton M. Christensen – Harvard Business School
- 2015 - Robert A. Lutz – General Motors Company
- 2014 - Yang Yuanqing – Lenovo
- 2014 - Elon Musk - Tesla, SpaceX
- 2013 - Paul E. Jacobs - Qualcomm
- 2012 - Chris Anderson - TED
- 2012 - Steve Jobs - Apple, Inc.
- 2011 - John S. Hendricks - Discovery Communications
- 2011 - Alan Mulally - Ford Motor Company
- 2010 - Susan Hockfield - MIT
- 2010 - A.G. Lafley - Procter & Gamble
- 2009 - David M. Kelley - IDEO
- 2009 - Susan Desmond-Hellmann - Genentech
- 1999 - Ted Turner - Time Warner
- 1999 - Dale Morrison - Campbell Soup Co.
- 1997 - Reuben Mark - Colgate-Palmolive
- 1997 - Martha Stewart - MSL Omnimedia
- 1996 - Douglas Ivester - Coca-Cola Company
- 1996 - Nolan D. Archibald - Black & Decker
- 1995 - Robert Palmer - Digital Corporation
- 1995 - Arthur Martinez - Sears, Roebuck & Co.
- 1994 - H. John Greeniaus - Nabisco, Inc.
- 1994 - Bert C. Roberts - MCI Corporation
- 1993 - J. Willard Marriott, Jr. - Marriott International
- 1993 - Rich DeVos - Amway Corporation
- 1993 - Jay Van Andel - Amway Corporation
- 1993 - Raymond W. Smith - Bell Atlantic
- 1992 - William McGowan - MCI Corporation
- 1991 - Frank Perdue - Perdue Farms
- 1991 - Herb Baum - Campbell Soup Co.
A percentage of every Edison Awards nomination funds Edison Universe, a 501(c)(3) organization and the parent organization of the Edison Awards. Edison Universe is focused on fostering innovation of youth by promoting innovation concepts through curriculums and educational programs. Additionally, the organization connects representatives from past Edison Award winning companies and Edison Achievement Award honorees with students to provide mentoring and internship opportunities.
- Sonali Basak, "Edison awards highlight innovation across American industry titans", Techli.com, April 26, 2013
- Edison Achievement Award Winners
- Damon Poeter, Edison Awards Honor Elon Musk, Lenovo's Yang Yuanqing, PCMAG.com, May 2, 2014
- Miguel Helft, "In pursuit of Innovation, a milestone for Lenovo", Fortune.com, May 2, 2014