Edison High School (Minnesota)
|Thomas Edison High School|
|700 22nd Avenue Northeast
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55418
|Motto||Belong, Believe, Become|
|School district||Minneapolis Public Schools|
|Teaching staff||52.95 (on a FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||14.05|
|Color(s)||Blue and Gold|
|Athletics conference||Minneapolis City Conference|
Thomas Edison High School is the only public high school in the Northeast community of Minneapolis, Minnesota. It was named after the American inventor Thomas Alva Edison. Located in the Holland neighborhood, the school's academic focus areas are: American Studies, Business Enterprise, Candidate International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme, International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme, Personal Care & Therapeutic Services, and Technology & Multi Media.
The school opened in 1922. Additions have been made to the rear of the building, and a gymnasium was built across Monroe Street. The track and football field are behind this gym, and the school's baseball/softball field is in adjacent Jackson Square Park.
The demographic breakdown of the 744 students enrolled for 2013-14 was:
- Male - 51.3%
- Female - 48.7%
- Native American/Alaskan - 3.4%
- Asian/Pacific islanders - 11.7%
- Black - 51.0%
- Hispanic - 16.3%
- White - 17.3%
- Multiracial - 0.3%
85.8% of the students were eligible for free or reduced lunch.
Edison competes in the following sports, some in co-ops with other schools.
- Fall: Football, Cross Country Running, Girls Tennis, Boys and Girls Soccer, Volleyball, Girls Swimming
- Winter: Dance Team, Wrestling, Boys Swimming, Boys and Girls Basketball, Gymnastics, Boys and Girls Hockey
- Spring: Track and Field, Boys Tennis, Baseball, Badminton, Softball
- John Billman, football player
- Alan Anderson, basketball player
- Don Carlson, basketball player
- Joe Dziedzic, professional hockey player
- Kari Dziedzic, Minnesota state senator
- Tony Jaros, basketball player
- Mesa Kincaid, Radio personality
- Richard E. Kraus, Marine Corps Medal of Honor recipient
- Mike Mikulak, football player
- Ilhan Omar, legislator
- Clayton Tonnemaker, football player
- "Search for Public Schools - Search Detail for Edison Senior High". nces.ed.gov. US Department of Education. Retrieved 8 November 2016.
- "Edison High School". Minneapolis Public Schools. Retrieved November 21, 2012.
- "Edison-Northeast Community". Retrieved November 21, 2012.