Edison High School (Minnesota)
|Thomas Edison High School|
Edison High School viewed from the northwest
700 22nd Avenue Northeast
|Motto||Belong, Believe, Become|
|School district||Minneapolis Public Schools|
|Teaching staff||72.61 (on a FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||13.19|
|Color(s)||Blue and Gold|
|Athletics conference||Minneapolis City Conference|
Thomas Edison High School is the only public high school in the Northeast community of Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States. It was named after the American inventor Thomas Alva Edison. Located in the Holland neighborhood, the school's academic focus areas are: American Studies, Business Enterprise, Candidate International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme, International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme, Personal Care & Therapeutic Services, and Technology & Multi Media.
The school opened in 1922. Additions have been made to the rear of the building, and a gymnasium was built across Monroe Street. The track and football field are behind this gym, and the school's baseball/softball field is in adjacent Jackson Square Park.
The demographic breakdown of the 958 students enrolled for 2017-18 was:
- Male - 50.0%
- Female - 50.0%
- Native American/Alaskan - 4.5%
- Asian/Pacific islanders - 5.2%
- Black - 53.0%
- Hispanic - 19.1%
- White - 16.7%
- Multiracial - 1.5%
72.1% of the students were eligible for free or reduced lunch.
Edison competes in the following sports, some in co-ops with other schools.
- Fall: Football, Cross Country Running, Girls Tennis, Boys and Girls Soccer, Volleyball, Girls Swimming
- Winter: Dance Team, Wrestling, Boys Swimming, Boys and Girls Basketball, Gymnastics, Boys and Girls Hockey
- Spring: Track and Field, Boys Tennis, Baseball, Badminton, Softball, Boys and Girls Golf
- Alan Anderson, basketball player
- John Billman, football player
- Don Carlson, basketball player
- Joe Dziedzic, professional hockey player
- Kari Dziedzic, Minnesota state senator
- Tony Jaros, basketball player
- Harold Kalina, Minnesota State Senator, Minnesota District Court Judge
- Mesa Kincaid, radio personality
- Richard E. Kraus, Marine Corps Medal of Honor recipient
- Diane Loeffler, Minnesota state representative
- Mike Mikulak, football player
- Ilhan Omar, U.S. Representative
- Clayton Tonnemaker, football player
- "EDISON SENIOR HIGH". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved November 25, 2019.
- "Search for Public Schools - Search Detail for Edison Senior High". nces.ed.gov. US Department of Education. Retrieved 12 February 2020.
- "Edison High School". Minneapolis Public Schools. Retrieved November 21, 2012.
- "Edison-Northeast Community". Archived from the original on February 7, 2012. Retrieved November 21, 2012.