April 30, 1913
Lumsden, Saskatchewan, Canada
|Died||March 28, 1996 (aged 82)|
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Education||University of Saskatchewan|
|Title||Member of Order of Canada|
|Parent(s)||William and Margaret Fulton|
Edith Fowke, CM was a Canadian folklorist. Born on April 30, 1913, in Lumsden, Saskatchewan, she was educated at the University of Saskatchewan. She hosted the CBC Radio program Folk Song Time from 1950 to 1963. She wrote numerous books in collaboration with folklorist and composer Richard Johnston, including Folk Songs of Canada (Waterloo Music Company 1954), Folk Songs of Quebec (Waterloo 1957), Chansons canadiennes françaises (Waterloo 1964), and More Folk Songs of Canada (Waterloo 1967). She is particularly noted for recording the songs of traditional singers O. J. Abbott, LaRena Clark, and Tom Brandon. Edith Fowke died in Toronto in 1996.
|Library resources about |
|By Edith Fowke|
- Folk Songs of Canada (1954)
- Fowke, Edith (1969). Sally Go Round The Sun: 300 Songs, Rhymes, and Games of Canadian Children. ISBN 0-385-02513-0.
- Lumbering Songs from the Northern Woods (1970)
- The Penguin Book of Canadian Folk Songs. Selected and Edited by Edith Fowke (1973)
- Fowke, Edith; Glazer, Joe (1973). Songs of Work and Protest. New York: Dover Publications. ISBN 9780486228990. OCLC 260008507. )
- Folklore of Canada:Tall Tales, Stories, Rhymes and Jokes From Every Corner of Canada (1976)
- Singing Out History: Canada's Story in song (1984)
- Traditional Singers and Songs from Ontario by Edith Fowke and Katherine Boykowycz (1985)
- Red Rover, Red Rover: Children's Games Played in Canada (1988)
- Tales Told in Canada (1988)
- Canadian Folklore Perspectives on Canadian Folklore (1988)
- A Family Heritage: The Story and Songs of Larena Clark by Edith Fulton Fowke and Jay Rahn (1994)
- Legends Told in Canada. 1995.
- Fowke, Edith (1993). Folktales of French Canada.
- Vikar, L; Jeanette Panagapka (2004). Songs of the North Woods: As sung by O J Abbott and Collected by Edith Fowkes.
- Collected Folk Songs are in the Canadian Museum of Civilization
Commercially issued recordings:
- "Irish and British Songs from the Ottawa Valley" (sung by O. J. Abbott) (Folkways FM 4051)
- "Authentic Canadian Folk symbol" (sung by LaRena Clark) (Clark Records LCS 108) (1978)
- "Canada at Turn of the Sod" (sung by LaRena Clark) (LCS 110) (1979)
- "Canada's Queen of Song" (sung by LaRena Clark) (LCS 107) (1978)
- "LaRena Clark: Canadian Garland" (Topic 12T140) (1965)
- "Far Canadian Fields: Companion to the Penguin Book of Canadian Folk Songs" Leader LEE 4057 (1975)
- "Folk Songs of Ontario" (Folkways FM 4005) (1958)
- "Lumbering Songs from the Ontario Shanties" (Folkways FM 4052) (1961)
- "Tom Brandon of Peterborough, Ontario" (Folk-Legacy FSC-10) (1963)
Awards and honours
- Member of the Order of Canada