|Born||November 20, 1997|
Glendale, California, United States
|Other names||The Golden Boy|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight||185 lb (84 kg; 13.2 st)|
|Reach||74 in (188 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Glendale, California, United States|
|Team||Glendale Fighting Club|
|Rank||Black belt in Shotokan Karate|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Edmen Shahbazyan (Armenian: Էդմեն Շահբազյան), born November 20, 1997) is an American mixed martial artist of Armenian descent, competing in the middleweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). As of November 9, 2021, he is #15 in the UFC middleweight rankings.
Edmen Shahbazyan fights out of Glendale, California. His older brother, Leon, is also a professional fighter. Edmen started training in martial arts at the age of 9 and has been training at his current gym Glendale Fighting Club since the age of 12. As a teenager, he served as a training partner for Ronda Rousey.
Mixed martial arts career
Shahbazyan made his professional debut in mixed martial arts on February 25, 2017 at CXF 6. He faced Selah Williams and won by technical knockout in the first round. Edmen continued fighting for mixed martial arts promotions in California and compiled a 6–0 record, winning all fights by first-round knockout.
Shahbazyan was invited to participate in Dana White's Contender Series 13 of Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series. Edmen faced Antonio Jones, winning by technical knockout only 40 seconds into the first round. His performance led to White offering him a contract to fight in the UFC.
Edmen is managed by Ronda Rousey's One Fight Management.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Shahbazyan was expected to face Krzysztof Jotko on November 2, 2019 at UFC 244. However, Jotko withdrew from the bout and was replaced by Brad Tavares. He won the fight via a head kick KO in the first round.
Shahbazyan was expected to face Derek Brunson on March 7, 2020 at UFC 248; However it was announced on February 20 that the bout has been rescheduled and will take place on April 11, 2020 at UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs. Harris. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the event was eventually postponed. The bout eventually was scheduled on August 1, 2020 at UFC Fight Night: Brunson vs. Shahbazyan. He lost the fight via technical knockout in round three.
During the walkout Shahbazyan carried a flag of Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, an internationally unrecognized regime. This was done in support after minor clashes took place in the area during that time. After the bout, the Consul General of Azerbaijan in Los Angeles Nasimi Aghayev sent a protest regarding the incident to the UFC. As an outcome Shahbazyan apologized to the UFC for breaking the rules and causing controversy, and also lost his Reebok sponsor money.
Shahbazyan was scheduled to face Jack Hermansson on May 15, 2021 at UFC 262. However, for unknown reasons the bout was postponed and took place at UFC Fight Night: Font vs. Garbrandt on May 22, 2021. He lost the bout via unanimous decision after being dominated by Hermansson's grappling in round 2 and 3.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|14 matches||11 wins||3 losses|
|Loss||11–3||Nassourdine Imavov||TKO (elbows)||UFC 268||November 6, 2021||2||4:42||New York City, New York, United States|
|Loss||11–2||Jack Hermansson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Font vs. Garbrandt||May 22, 2021||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||11–1||Derek Brunson||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Brunson vs. Shahbazyan||August 1, 2020||3||0:26||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||11–0||Brad Tavares||KO (head kick)||UFC 244||November 2, 2019||1||2:27||New York City, New York, United States|
|Win||10–0||Jack Marshman||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 239||July 6, 2019||1||1:12||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||9–0||Charles Byrd||TKO (elbows and punches)||UFC 235||March 2, 2019||1||0:38||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||8–0||Darren Stewart||Decision (split)||The Ultimate Fighter: Heavy Hitters Finale||November 30, 2018||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||7–0||Antonio Jones||TKO (punches)||Dana White's Contender Series 13||July 17, 2018||1||0:40||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||6–0||Daniel McWilliams||TKO (punches)||CXF 12||April 21, 2018||1||0:30||Burbank, California, United States|
|Win||5–0||Aaron Hamilton||TKO (punches)||CXF 11||February 17, 2018||1||1:08||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Win||4–0||Anthony Thomas||TKO (punches)||Gladiator Challenge: Fight Club||October 7, 2017||1||0:14||El Cajon, California, United States|
|Win||3–0||Dejon Daniels||TKO (punches)||CXF 8||June 17, 2017||1||2:58||Burbank, California, United States|
|Win||2–0||Dearmie Street||TKO (punches)||CXF 7||April 29, 2017||1||3:16||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Win||1–0||Selah Williams||TKO (head kick and punches)||CXF 6||February 25, 2017||1||0:43||Los Angeles, California, United States||Middleweight debut.|
- "Edmen Shahbazyan | UFC". UFC.com. Retrieved June 6, 2021.
- Sherdog.com. "5 Things You Might Not Know About Edmen Shahbazyan". Sherdog. Retrieved 2019-07-09.
- Մկրտչյան, Լիանա. ""Ոսկե տղան". Ով է UFC-ի ամենախոստումնալից ու տաղանդավոր մարտիկ Էդմեն Շահբազյանը". VNews (in Armenian). Retrieved 2020-07-31.
- "UFC Rankings, Division Rankings, P4P rankings, UFC Champions | UFC.com". www.ufc.com. Retrieved 2021-11-10.
- Bitter, Shawn (2019-04-10). "EXCLUSIVE: Leon Shahbazyan vs. Brok Weaver Set for Contender Series on June 18". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2019-07-13.
- Martin, Brian (March 1, 2019). "UFC 235: Edmen Shahbazyan continues living his dream". The Orange Country Register. Retrieved May 25, 2019.
- Gordon, Grant (April 22, 2018). "First-round wins by Glendale's Shahbazyan, Grigoryan highlight 'Burbank Beatdown'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved May 25, 2019.
- Gordon, Grant (July 17, 2018). "Shahbazyan shines in 40-second win for UFC contract". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved May 25, 2019.
- Kyte, E. Spencer (February 25, 2019). "ON THE RISE: UFC 235". UFC. Retrieved May 25, 2019.
- Erickson, Matt; Morgan, John (December 2, 2018). "UFC 235: Edmen Shahbazyan says takedowns were the name of the game at TUF 28 Finale". MMAJunkie. Retrieved May 25, 2019.
- Hiergesell, Dan (March 2, 2019). "Knockout! Watch Rousey prospect Edmen Shahbazyan spark Charles Byrd in 38 seconds at UFC 235". MMA mania. Retrieved May 25, 2019.
- Mogan, Tony (April 10, 2019). "Jack Marshman to fight Edmen Shahbazyan on Jones vs Santos undercard at UFC 239". London Evening Standard. Retrieved May 25, 2019.
- Fortune, Ryan (2019-07-06). "UFC 239 Results: Edmen Shahbayzan Makes Quick Work of Jack Marshman". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2019-07-07.
- Farah Hannoun (2019-08-23). "Unbeaten Edmen Shahbazyan draws Krzysztof Jotko at UFC 244 in New York". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-08-23.
- Mike Bohn (October 2, 2019). "Brad Tavares moved to UFC 244 for matchup with unbeaten Edmen Shahbazyan". mmajunkie.com.
- Doherty, Dan (2019-11-02). "UFC 244 Results: Edmen Shahbazyan Knocks Out Brad Tavares With First Round Head Kick". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2019-11-03.
- Critchfield, Tristen (2020-01-22). "Middleweights Derek Brunson, Edmen Shahbazyan to clash at UFC 248 in Las Vegas". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2020-01-22.
- Redactie. "Derek Brunson vs. Edmen Shahbazyan moved from UFC 248 to UFC Portland". mmadna. Retrieved 2020-02-20.(in Dutch)
- Nolan King and John Morgan (2020-03-15). "UFC postpones three events amid growing coronavirus outbreak". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-03-16.
- "Derek Brunson vs. Edmen Shahbazyan booked for UFC Fight Night event on August 1". MMA Junkie. 2020-06-08. Retrieved 2020-06-12.
- Doherty, Dan (2020-08-01). "UFC Vegas 5 Results: Derek Brunson Shuts Down Edmen Shahbazyan". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2020-08-02.
- Ryan Harkness (August 11, 2020). "Edmen Shahbazyan punished for displaying 'illegal regime flag' at UFC Vegas 5". mmamania.com.
- Behunin, Alex (2021-03-19). "Jack Hermansson vs. Edmen Shahbazyan Set For UFC 262". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2021-03-20.
- Cole Shelton (2021-05-10). "Edmen Shahbazyan vs. Jack Hermansson off UFC 262, rescheduled for UFC Vegas 27". bjpenn.com. Retrieved 2021-05-10.
- Anderson, Jay (2021-05-22). "UFC Vegas 27 Results: Jack Hermansson Finishes Strong Against Edmen Shahbazyan". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2021-05-23.
- "Nassourdine Imavov vs. Edmen Shahbazyan pour l'UFC 268 !". La Sueur (in French). 2021-08-08. Retrieved 2021-08-09.
- Evanoff, Josh (2021-11-06). "UFC 268 Results: Nassourdine Imavov Demolishes Edmen Shahbazyan". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2021-11-07.
- Sherdog.com. "Edmen Shahbazyan". Sherdog. Retrieved 2019-05-25.