Edmond E. Chang
|Edmond E-Min Chang|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois|
Assumed office |
December 20, 2010
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Elaine E. Bucklo|
Edmond E-Min Chang|
October 1970 (age 47–48)
New York City, New York
University of Michigan (B.S.E.)|
Northwestern University School of Law (J.D.)
Edmond E-Min Chang (born October 1970) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
Early life and education
Born in New York, New York to immigrants from Taiwan, Chang earned a Bachelor of Science in Engineering degree in aerospace engineering in 1991 from the University of Michigan and a Juris Doctor in 1994 from Northwestern University School of Law. From 1994 until 1995, Chang served as a law clerk for United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit Judge James L. Ryan. From 1995 until 1997, Chang served as a law clerk for United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois Judge Marvin E. Aspen.
From 1997 until 1999, Chang served as an associate at the Chicago headquarters office of the global law firm Sidley Austin. In 1999, Chang became an Assistant United States Attorney in Chicago, serving as a Deputy Chief of General Crimes from 2004 until 2005 and as the Chief of Appeals for the Criminal Division from 2005 until late 2010.
Federal judicial service
In 2009, Chang submitted an application to an Illinois screening committee for one of three federal district judgeship vacancies. On April 21, 2010, President Obama nominated Chang to a federal judgeship to fill the seat vacated by Judge Elaine E. Bucklo, who assumed senior status on October 31, 2009. On December 18, 2010, the United States Senate confirmed Chang by unanimous consent. He received his commission on December 20, 2010.
- "TAP-Chicago presents - Lunar Ball 2014".
- President Obama Names Five to the United States District Court, whitehouse.gov (April 21, 2010).
- "Chang, Edmond E-Min - Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate, 4/21/10, whitehouse.gov (April 21, 2010).
- "Bucklo, Elaine E. - Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- Edmond E. Chang at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Edmond E. Chang at Ballotpedia
Elaine E. Bucklo
| Judge of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois