|This article does not cite any sources. (March 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Prime Minister of Belgium|
26 January 1973 – 25 April 1974
|Preceded by||Gaston Eyskens|
|Succeeded by||Leo Tindemans|
|President of the Chamber of Representatives|
7 June 1977 – 3 April 1979
|Preceded by||André Dequae|
|Succeeded by||Charles-Ferdinand Nothomb|
18 April 1915|
|Died||18 June 1997
|Political party||Socialist Party|
Edmond Jules Isidore Leburton (18 April 1915 – 18 June 1997) was a Belgian politician and former Prime Minister.
He first entered Parliament representing Huy, Belgium.
Prime Minister of Belgium
Leburton served as the 42nd Prime Minister of Belgium from January 1973 to April 1974. A number of reforms were carried out under Leburton's government, including a law on 'prolonged minority' (June 1973) to safeguard people with mental disabilities, the introduction of annual adjustments to pensions to the level of economic prosperity (March 1973), and the passage of an Act which strengthened the rights of tenants (November 1973). In addition, improvements were made to various social welfare benefits. He was the last native French speaker to hold that office, disregarding the bilingual Paul Vanden Boeynants from Brussels, until Elio Di Rupo took office in December 2011. He was a member of the Socialist Party. Leburton was also the last member of that party to hold the office of Prime Minister until Elio Di Rupo.
The list of all Honours is publicated on the carte de Deuil, 1997.
- Belgium : Minister of State, by Royal Decree.
- Belgium : Grand Cordon in the Order of Leopold, by Royal Decree of 16.04.1977.
- Belgium : Grand Cross in the Order of Leopold II.
- Belgium : Croix de Guerre.
- Knight Grand Cross in the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic
- Knight Grand Cross in the Order of Orange-Nassau.
- Knight Grand Cross in the Order of the Oak Crown.
- Knight Grand Cross in the Order of the Aztec Eagle.
- Knight Grand Cross in the Order of Isabella the Catholic.
- Knight Grand Cross in the Order of King Abdul Aziz.
- Grand Officer in the Legion of Honour
- Growth to Limits. The Western European Welfare States Since World War II by Peter Flora
|Prime Minister of Belgium
|President of the Chamber of Representatives
|This article about a Belgian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|