Edmonds station (Washington)
|Location||210 Railroad Avenue
Edmonds, WA 98020
|Owned by||BNSF Railway|
Sound Transit Services:
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Station code||Amtrak code: EDM|
|Passengers (2016)||31,389 4.59% (Amtrak)|
Edmonds is a passenger train station in Edmonds, Washington, servicing Amtrak's Empire Builder and Cascades trains, as well as Sound Transit's Commuter Rail North Line. The station is adjacent to the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry docks.
The depot, opened in 1956, was built by the Great Northern Railroad (GN) to replace an earlier structure. It is noted for its Modernist design, which emphasizes crisp, clean lines and an uncluttered interior. The exterior walls include Roman bricks laid in a stack bond, while large floor-to-ceiling windows eliminate the boundaries between interior and exterior areas. The station, platform, and parking are owned by BNSF Railway.
Currently, there are four southbound Sounder departures during morning rush hour, with four return trips in the afternoon. Sound Transit formerly planned to relocate Edmonds station as part of the larger Edmonds Crossing Multi-modal project being led by the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT). That plan was shelved in favor of renovating the station in place, a project expected to cost $12.9 million and be completed in early 2011. The Swamp Creek & Western Railroad Association (a model railroaders' group) operates from the Edmonds Amtrak Station.
Boardings and Alightings
Notes and references
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, Fiscal Year 2016, State of Washington" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2016. Retrieved 17 Jan 2017.
- "Edmonds Station". Amtrak's Great American Stations. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
- "Sounder Commuter Rail Schedules". Sound Transit. Archived from the original on 2010-02-01. Retrieved 2010-02-20.
- "Rail station renovation could help Edmonds downtown bottleneck". Railway Track and Structures. Archived from the original on 2011-07-15. Retrieved 2010-02-20.
- "Sound Transit Projects & Plans - Edmonds Station". Sound Transit. Archived from the original on 2010-06-13. Retrieved 2010-02-20.
- "Edmonds Station". SCWRRA. Retrieved 2009-02-15.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, Fiscal Year 2011: State of Washington" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2011. p. 1. Retrieved 6 Jan 2015.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, Fiscal Year 2012: State of Washington" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2012. p. 1. Retrieved 6 Jan 2015.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, Fiscal Year 2013: State of Washington" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2013. p. 1. Retrieved 6 Jan 2015.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, Fiscal Year 2014: State of Washington" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2014. p. 1. Retrieved 12 Jan 2016.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, Fiscal Year 2015: State of Washington" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2015. p. 1. Retrieved 12 Jan 2016.
Media related to Edmonds station (Washington) at Wikimedia Commons