Edmund Campion (historian)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Educated at Saint Ignatius' College, Riverview, and the University of Sydney, he completed a Master of Arts at the University of Cambridge and theological studies at the Catholic Institute of Sydney. He was ordained a priest in 1961 and after curacies at several Sydney parishes including St Mary's Cathedral was appointed a lecturer in history at the Catholic Institute of Sydney, later becoming Professor of History there.
His books on Australian Catholic History combine a personal point of view with discussions of the wider social context and the impact of Australian Catholics in many fields.
Campion was Chairman of the Judging Panel for the inaugural Pascall Prize for Australian Critic of the Year in 1988. He was awarded an honorary doctorate of letters by the University of Sydney in 2005.
- 1980, John Henry Newman: Friends, allies, bishops, Catholics, Melbourne: Dove Communications, ISBN 0859241254
- 1982, Rockchoppers: Growing up Catholic in Australia, Ringwood, Vic: Penguin, ISBN 0140064451;
- 1987, Australian Catholics, Ringwood, Vic: Viking, ISBN 0670816957
- 1994, A Place in the City, Ringwood, Vic: Penguin, ISBN 0140179135
- 1996 (edited), Catholic Voices: Best Australian Catholic writing, Melbourne: David Lovell Publishing, ISBN 1863550534
- 1997, Great Australian Catholics, Ringwood, Vic: David Lovell Publishing, ISBN 1863550577;
- 2003, Lines of My Life: Journal of a year, Camberwell, Vic: Penguin, ISBN 0143001523;
- 2009, Ted Kennedy: priest of Redfern, Kew East: David Lovell Publishing, ISBN 9781863551298
- 2014, Australian Catholic Lives, Kew East, Vic: David Lovell Publishing, ISBN 9781863551458
- 2016, Swifty: A life of Yvonne Swift, Sydney: NewSouth Publishing, ISBN 9781742234755
- Edmund Campion. On Cardinal Gilroy at the Sydney Institute, johnmenadue.com, 7 Apr 2018.
- Honorary awards: Emeritus Professor Father Edmund Campion, University of Sydney, 2005.