Edmund Hamer Broadbent
Edmund Hamer Broadbent (1861 – 1945) was a Christian missionary and author. John Bjorlie wrote that he was a "tidy-looking English gentleman with a bookish side who discovered ways of slipping into and out of countries that others just assumed were 'closed doors.' He was not a big man, and his pleasant, easygoing manner would not have conjured in your mind the picture of the fearless missionary." Born in Lancashire, England, Broadbent operated under the auspices of the Plymouth Brethren movement.
His missionary work from 1900 into the 1920s took him to Austria, Belgium, Egypt, Germany, Poland, Russia, Turkey, the Baltic states, North and South America, and Uzbekistan. He spoke fluently French and German and could speak some Russian.
His book, The Pilgrim Church, first published in 1931, is still in print. The Pilgrim Church is an alternative history of the church, unrecorded by secular history. It covers the history of many small churches throughout the ages that have attempted to follow the New Testament church pattern, the success of those that followed the pattern laid out by the apostles and the consequences to the churches that fell away from the pattern. He looks broadly at many groups such as the Paulicians, the Bogomils, the Nestorians, the Waldensians, the Anabaptists, the Hutterites, the Methodists, the Russian Mennonites and the Mennonite Brethren. He classified early primitive churches to Anabaptist, and to Moravian Brethren were historical Brethren Movement.[clarification needed]
Edmund Hamer Broadbent fathered eight children by his wife Dora.
- The Pilgrim Church ISBN 1-882701-53-4
- The Pilgrim Church ISBN 978-1-882701-53-7 (Gospel Folio Press, 2009)
- Jeremiah: The Book of the Prophet Jeremiah
- "Broadbent , E.H. Bio | online library of brethren writers". Plymouthbrethren.org. 2004-09-13. Retrieved 2016-06-19.
- Edmund Hamer Broadbent, Saint and Pioneer: recollections and reflections. London: Paternoster Press, 1946; by George Henry Lang
- online library of brethren writers (2004-09-13). "Broadbent , E.H. Bio | online library of brethren writers". Plymouthbrethren.org. Retrieved 2016-06-19.
- The Pilgrim Church on Project Gutenberg Australia
- The Pilgrim Church, published by Gospel Folio Press
- Broadbent biography on the Plymouth Brethren website
|This biography of a United Kingdom religious figure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about a notable person in connection with Christianity is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|