Edmund Roche, 5th Baron Fermoy
|Edmund Burke Roche
5th Baron Fermoy
|Born||Edmund James Burke Roche
20 March 1939
|Died||19 August 1984
|Alma mater||Eton College
Royal Military Academy Sandhurst
|Spouse(s)||Lavinia Frances Elizabeth Pitman|
|Children||Hon. Frances Roche
Hon. Elizabeth Roche
Maurice Roche, 6th Baron Fermoy
Hon. Edmund Roche
|Parent(s)||Maurice Roche, 4th Baron Fermoy
Ruth Sylvia Gill
|Relatives||Diana, Princess of Wales (niece)|
Early life and education
Roche became 5th Baron Fermoy in 1955 when his father died. He was an elected member of Newbury District Council between 1976 and 1979. He was chairman of Eddington Bindery Ltd, based at the Fermoy family home near Hungerford. He was also a steeplechase jockey.
Marriage and children
He was married to Lavinia Frances Elizabeth Pitman (born 1941), daughter of John Pitman and Elizabeth Donaldson (a descendent of Sir Isaac Pitman) and they had four children:
- Hon. Frances Caroline Burke Roche (31 March 1965)
- Hon. Elizabeth Burke Roche (27 March 1966 – 2 April 1966)
- Maurice Burke Roche, 6th Baron Fermoy (11 October 1967)
- Hon. Edmund Hugh Burke Roche (5 February 1972)
Lady Fermoy later remarried to Nigel Edward Corbally Stourton, a grandson of Alfred Stourton, 23rd Baron Mowbray, in 1995
Baron Fermoy and his family have close connections to the British royal family. His mother Ruth was a longstanding member of the Queen Mother's household. His sister, Frances, was the mother of Lady Diana Spencer. As the bride's maternal uncle, Lord Fermoy attended her wedding to the Prince of Wales in 1981.
Titles and styles
- 1939 – 1955: The Honourable Edmund James Burke Roche
- 1955 – 1984: The Rt. Hon. Edmund James Burke Roche, 5th Baron Fermoy
- "Lord Fermoy Shoots Himself. Uncle of Princess of Wales". New York Times. Associated Press. 20 August 1984. Retrieved 2015-05-04.
Lord Fermoy, the uncle of the Princess of Wales, shot himself today at his home, the police said. He was 45 years old. ... Lord Fermoy, born Edmund James Burke Roche, became the fifth Baron Fermoy in 1955, succeeding his father, a former Conservative Member of Parliament. His mother, Ruth, Dowager Lady Fermoy, has been lady-in-waiting to Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother for 30 years. Lord Fermoy's sister, Frances Shand-Kydd, is the mother of the Princess of Wales. ...
- "Person Page 156". The Peerage. 19 December 2012. Retrieved 9 June 2013.
- "Lord Fermoy kills self". Sarasota Herald Tribune. Hungerford. AP. 20 August 1984. Retrieved 21 July 2013.
- "A Visit to British Binders & Binderies". Cool. Retrieved 9 June 2013.
- Hugo Vickers (8 July 1993). "Obituary: Ruth Fermoy". The Independent. Retrieved 9 June 2013.
- "The Dowager Lady Fermoy; Diana's Grandmother, 84". The New York Times. 8 July 1993. Retrieved 9 June 2013.
|Peerage of Ireland|
Edmund Maurice Roche
Patrick Maurice Roche