Edmund Santhara Kumar Ramanaidu
|Deputy Minister of Federal Territories|
|Assumed office |
10 March 2020
|Prime Minister||Muhyiddin Yassin|
|Preceded by||Shahruddin Md Salleh|
|Member of the Malaysian Parliament|
|Assumed office |
9 May 2018
|Preceded by||Dr. S Subramaniam (MIC–BN)|
Santhara Kumar s/o Ramanaidu
3 April 1971
Layang-Layang, Simpang Renggam, Johor
|Political party||People's Justice Party (until 2020) |
Malaysian United Indigenous Party (Since 2020)
|Pakatan Harapan (PH) (until 2020)|
Perikatan Nasional (PN) (since 2020)
Muafakat Nasional (MN) (since 2020)
|Spouse(s)||Carline d/o A. Johnson D'Cruz|
|Alma mater||National University of Malaysia |
University of Strathclyde
|Profession||former CEO of Masterskill Education Group Bhd|
Edmund Santhara @ Santhara Kumar s/o Ramanaidu (Tamil: சந்தார்த்த குமார், romanized: Cantārtta kumār) is a Malaysian politician, businessman and entrepreneur. He is the incumbent Member of Parliament for Segamat in the state of Johor and was the People's Justice Party (PKR) national integration bureau chairman. He was also PKR coordinator for Segamat. He is the first non-indigenous Malaysian politician to be an allied member of Malaysian United Indigenous Party (BERSATU), a component party of the Perikatan Nasional (PN) ruling coalition in Malaysia.
Career prior to politics
Santhara joined Masterskill in October 2004 as the director of Business Development, where he was tasked with improving the company's growth opportunities. In January 2005, he was appointed as the chief operating officer, responsible for overall management. In September of the same year, Santhara was promoted to chief executive officer. According to the group's website, Masterskill is the largest nursing and allied health sciences education group in Malaysia and one of the largest in the Asia Pacific region.
In 2017, Santhara announced his decision to quit as the CEO of Masterskill Education Group Bhd (MEGB) to concentrate on his political career.
Santhara contested the Hulu Selangor parliamentary seat as an independent in the 2013 general election but gained only 999 votes. He stood in the 2018 general election in the Segamat seat, representing PH-PKR, and was elected with 52.11% of the vote.
|2013||P94 Hulu Selangor, Selangor||Edmund Santhara (IND)||999||1.33%||P. Kamalanathan (BN-MIC)||37,403||49.79%||75,113||3,414||87.65%|
|Khalid Jaafar (PR-PKR)||33,989||45.25%|
|Radzali Mokhtar (IND)||1,105||1.47%|
|2018||P140 Segamat, Johor||Edmund Santhara (PH-PKR)||24,060||52.11%||S. Subramaniam (BN-MIC)||18,584||40.25%||46,170||5,476||83.41%|
|Khairul Faizi Ahmad Kamil (GS-PAS)||2,676||5.79%|
Orders, awards and recognition
- Malaysia's Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of The Year (2007)
- Ten Outstanding Young Malaysian (TOYM) award - Business, Economic and Entrepreneurial Accomplishment (2009)
- Contribution to Society (2011) awarded by Asia HRD Congress 2011 Awards (2010)
- JCI Ten Outstanding Young Persons of the World award (JCI TOYP) - Business, Economic and/or Entrepreneurial Accomplishment (2011)
- Pahang :
- Perak :
- Darjah Dato' Paduka Mahkota Perak - D.P.M.P. : Dato' (2009)
- Sabah :
- Panglima Gemilang Darjah Kinabalu - P.G.D.K. : Datuk (2010)
- "Santhara Kumar". Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- "Santhara hopes to upset Subra in Segamat". Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- "PKR president announces party's new lineup". Retrieved 30 May 2018.[dead link]
- "Edmund Santhara sells chunk of Masterskill". Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- "Dr Santhara resigns as CEO of Masterskill". Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- "SEMAKAN KEPUTUSAN PILIHAN RAYA UMUM KE - 14" (in Malay). Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 30 May 2018. Percentage figures based on total turnout.
- "Malaysia General Election". undiinfo Malaysian Election Data. Malaysiakini. Retrieved 4 February 2018. Results only available from the 2004 election.
- "SEMAKAN KEPUTUSAN PILIHAN RAYA UMUM KE - 14" (in Malay). Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 17 May 2018. Percentage figures based on total turnout.
- "The Star Online GE14". The Star. Retrieved 24 May 2018. Percentage figures based on total turnout.
- https://www.thestar.com.my/business/business-news/2007/12/05/ernst--young-names-santhara-entrepreneur-of-the-year/ Ernst & Young names Santhara entrepreneur of the year
- https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2009/11/08/chong-wei-wins-toym-award/ Chong Wei wins TOYM award. Founder and CEO of Masterskill Education Group Datuk Edmund Santhara received the award for the Business, Economic and Entrepreneurial Accomplishment category.
|This article about a Malaysian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|