Edmunds.com homepage taken 04/19/2012
|Type of business||Private|
|Headquarters||Santa Monica, California, United States|
|Area served||United States|
|Key people||Avi Steinlauf (CEO)
Seth Berkowitz (President)
|Industry||Automotive, Information services|
|Alexa rank||1829 (November 2016[update])|
Edmunds.com, Inc. is an American online resource for automotive information. The company is headquartered in Santa Monica, California and maintains an office in downtown Detroit, Michigan. Edmunds.com is privately held, with the Steinlauf family holding a majority stake.
Edmunds was founded in 1966 as a publisher of printed booklets consolidating automotive specifications to help car shoppers make buying decisions.
By the 1990s, Edmunds published its data to CD-ROM while also publishing books such as Edmunds New Cars & Trucks Buyer's Guide, Edmunds Used Cars & Trucks Buyer's Guide and Edmunds Strategies for Smart Car Buyers. In 1994 the company posted on a gopher site known as the Electronic Newsstand.
In 2005, Edmunds.com launched Inside Line'", a free online magazine for automotive enthusiasts. Inside Line delivered automotive content in the form of videos, photos, blogs, news articles, discussion boards and road tests. In 2013, Edmunds.com shut down the popular site despite complaints from loyal visitors.
The Edmunds.com Web site includes prices for new and used vehicles, dealer and inventory listings, a database of national and regional incentives and rebates, vehicle test drive reviews, and tips and advice on all aspects of car purchases and ownership. Edmunds.com provides data through its "True Market Value" pricing tools, which launched in 2000. The Edmunds.com True Market Value New Vehicle Calculator displays the estimated average price consumers are paying when buying new vehicles. The Edmunds.com True Market Value Used Vehicle Appraiser estimates the actual transaction prices for used vehicles bought and sold by dealers and private parties.
- "Company Overview of Edmunds.com, Inc.". Bloomberg. Retrieved December 7, 2016.
- "Edmunds.com Opens New State-Of-The Art Digs in Santa Monica". L.A. Biz. July 28, 2016. Retrieved December 7, 2016.
- "edmunds.com Traffic Statistics". Alexa. Retrieved December 7, 2016.
- "Company Profile and History". Edmunds.com. Retrieved December 7, 2016.
- Muller, David (11 September 2014). "Edmunds.com Moves to Downtown Detroit, Launches Rebuild Hart Plaza Campaign". MLive. Retrieved 9 December 2016.
- "Edmunds.com Gives Unlimited Vacation, But Employees Treat it With Discipline". Smart Business. 31 March 2014. Retrieved 9 December 2016.
- Vella, Matt (November 26, 2007). "Maintaining Edmunds' Edge". BusinessWeek.
- Sviokla, John J. (1998). "Chapter 3 Marketspace Markets: Factors for Success and Failure". In Kemerer, Chris F. Information Technology and Industrial Competitiveness: How IT Shapes Competition. Norwell, Mass.: Kluwer Academic Publishers. p. 41. ISBN 0-7923-8020-7. Retrieved May 31, 2010.
- "1st Annual Webby Awards Nominees & Winners". Webby Awards. 1997. Retrieved May 30, 2010. Edmunds.com won the Money category.
- Seigel Bernard, Tara (10 February 2012). "Car Dealers Wince at a Site to End Sales Haggling". The New York Times. Retrieved 9 December 2016.