|Headquarters||Knutsford, Cheshire, United Kingdom|
|D. T. McNair|
|Revenue||£1,268.4 million (2015)|
|£71.5 million (2015)|
Marshire Holdings Corp
|Parent||Marlowe Holdings Investments Ltd|
Lockwell Electrical Distributors
Edmundson Electrical Ltd is a privately held electrical distribution company headquartered in Knutsford, Cheshire, incorporated in 1991. It is the largest electrical distributor in the United Kingdom and serves both to the trade and to the public from over 300 locations. The company also serves Ireland through a subsidiary, EWL Electric Ltd, as well as through mainland Europe via its sister company, Vink Holdings.
Edmundson also has significant presence in the Middle East through its associate company, Sentor Electrical, which operates in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Ajman and agents in Kuwait, Bahrain and Oman.
Through a number of holding and investment companies, it is directly controlled by the Delaware registered Blackfriars Corporation (now Marshire Holdings Corporation), controlled in turn by the Colburn family as part of their global electrical and prefabricated plastics organisation. The company also holds a Royal Warrant.
The company was founded in the early 19th century by Joshua Edmundson, with the company developing into one of the first suppliers of electricity to being a major distributor of electrical equipment. The company serves the United Kingdom through more than 320 branches, supplying a range of electrical items.
Acquisitions have accelerated the company's growth. The largest of these came in 2011, when the company acquired Electric Center from Wolseley plc for £40.6m. This added a further 90 branches to the existing Edmundson network of 250 branches, giving it significant control over the market. The deal was cleared by the Office of Fair Trading in 2012 after the company agreed to sell a number of branches to Abbey Cross Trading Ltd.
Prior to being acquired, Electric Center achieved sales of £130m earning profits of £1.5m. The company has also expanded through several smaller acquisitions, including Cable Management Centre (2008), Western Electrical for £3.2m (2014), and Lockwell Electrical £8.8m (2015) as well as Bennett & Fountain, Walsall, GA Nicholas and Specialist Lamp Distributors
According to a filing with Companies House, in October 2016, Marlow Investments Ltd changed the name to Plumbing And Heating Investments Ltd. In the end of 2016, the company acquired East Anglia's leading plumbing wholesaler, Plumbcity Ltd parent of Gallery Bathrooms Ltd, Plumbclick Ltd and Plumbclick.co.uk Ltd.
In the financial year of 2015, Plumbcity recorded revenues of £26 million. In the same month the company acquired the leading plumbers merchant in the South of England, Heating Plumbing Supplies Group Ltd and its subsidiary Heating Plumbing Supplies Ltd. The transaction significantly expanded the groups influence, with over 30 branches gained and revenue of more than £53 million in 2015, and adding to the pre existing presence through the East Midlands based merchant, G.B Willbond Limited.
For 2017, total group revenue exceeded £1.8 billion.
(in millions £)
(in millions £)
|As a % of revenue||4.9||4.7||5.9||5.6||5.2||5.7||5.5||6.3|
The company is controlled by Blackfriars Corporation, a Delaware based holding company run by the Colburn family. Most notably, Keith W. Colburn who is CEO of Consolidated Electrical Distributors, which in 2010 was the fifth largest private company by revenue ($3.4 billion in 2009, $3.9 billion in 2008).
Through a number of companies, the Colburn family own a global network of manufacturers, distributors and general purpose retail outlets. Whilst Edmunson Electrical primarily serves the United Kingdom and Ireland, the parent organisation, Marlowe Holdings Investments has an 80.1% stake in the Mainland Europe based preformed plastics distributor, Vink Holdings.
- "Edmundson Electrical Limited - Company Information - Endole".
- BPVA. "Vikram Solar collaborates with UK's largest electrical wholesaler Edmundson Electrical, British Photovoltaic Association (BPVA)".
- "Home - Sentor Electrical".
- "About Us :: EWL".
- "Sentor Electrical WLL Profile - Zawya".
- "Quick Chat: Sentor Electrical Middle East".
- "Sentor Electrical - United Arab Emirates - Voltimum UK".
- "Colburn family".
- "Keith W. Colburn - SourceWatch".
- "Edmundson Electrical Ltd - Royal Warrant Holders Association".
- Ltd, Insider Media. "Edmundson's Electric Center deal set for OFT clearance".
- News, Manchester Evening (12 July 2011). "Edmundson Electrical agrees to buy Electric Center from Wolseley UK".
- "Wolseley sells Electric Center to Edmundson".
- "Cable Management Centre acquired by Edmundson Electrical - www.bcms.co.uk".
- "News :: Lockwell Electrical".
- "Marlowe Holdings Investments / Lockwell Electrical Distributors merger inquiry Competition and Markets Authority case - GOV.UK".
- "Procurement For Housing - Edmundson Electrical".
- "PLUMBING AND HEATING INVESTMENTS LIMITED - Filing history (free information from Companies House)".
- "Plumbing And Heating Investments Limited - Company Information - Endole".
- "PLUMBCITY LIMITED - Filing history (free information from Companies House)".
- "About - Plumbcity".
- "HEATING PLUMBING SUPPLIES LIMITED - Filing history (free information from Companies House)".
- "Heating Plumbing Supplies Group Ltd sale completes".
- "2016 Financial Accounts". Companies House.
- "Cable Management Centre acquired by Edmundson Electrical - www.bcmscorp.com".
- "CMC Cardiff".
- "Ryness sold to Marlowe Holdings".
- "Mergers & Acquisitions 2011 - Company News Summary".
- "Norbain acquired by Newbury Investments (UK) Ltd - IFSEC Global". 2 July 2012.
- "Eastern Electrical wholesaler sold to rival in €20m takeover deal - Independent.ie".
- "History of Willbond - Plumbing Supplies".
- "CORNWALL ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS LIMITED - Filing history (free information from Companies House)".
- "PLYMOUTH ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS LIMITED - Filing history (free information from Companies House)".
- "EDMUNDSON DISTRIBUTION LIMITED - Filing history (free information from Companies House)".