|The Honourable (2010-2015)
|4th Commissioner of Nunavut|
12 May 2010 – 11 May 2015
|Prime Minister||Stephen Harper|
|Preceded by||Nellie Kusugak (acting)|
|Succeeded by||Nellie Kusugak|
|Born||1954/1955 (age 61–62)
|Relations||Christian Klengenberg (great grandfather)|
Edna Elias (born c. 1955) is a Canadian politician from Kugluktuk, Nunavut. On 12 May 2010 she was appointed as the 4th Commissioner of Nunavut by Prime Minister Stephen Harper. Her term ended on 11 May 2015.
Elias, who was in 2009 appointed to Inuit Uqausinnginnik Taiguusiliuqtiit (the Inuit Language Authority), has also served as the mayor of Kugluktuk and principal of Jimmy Hikok Ilihakvik (primary school), as well as teaching in Arctic Bay and working as an executive assistant for Nunavut Tunngavik Incorporated in Cambridge Bay. Prior to division of the Northwest Territories in 1999 she was the head of the Department of Culture and Employment's language bureau. Elias, who is fluent in Inuinnaqtun, has stated that her goal as commissioner will be to promote education and the Inuit languages.
In December 2011, it was announced that Elias, along with Elisabeth Hadlari, Donna Olsen-Hakongak, Crystal Qaumariaq, Jeannie Ehaloak, all of Cambridge Bay, and Jamie McInnis of Calgary would try to raise $70,000 for the Alberta Cancer Foundation to help support breast cancer research and the Cross Cancer Institute in Edmonton. To raise the money the six women plan to walk across the Coronation Gulf from Umingmaktok to Cambridge Bay, approximately 250 km (160 mi), in May 2012. The group hope to walk between 40–48 km (25–30 mi) a day and taking 5 to 6 days to reach Cambridge Bay in time for the Frolics which are held over the Victoria Day weekend. Average temperatures in Cambridge Bay during May are −9.2 °C (15.4 °F).
- PM announces Nellie Taptaqut Kusugak as Commissioner of Nunavut
- Elias named Nunavut commissioner
- Nellie Kusugak was appointed acting commissioner after Ann Meekitjuk Hanson's term finished
- Committee appointed to find the next Nunavut commissioner
- Backgrounder: Edna Elias
- Language advocate is new commissioner of Nunavut
- Inuit languages, education are priorities: Elias
- Walking to beat cancer
- Nunavut women to walk 250km for cancer research
- Environment Canada—Canadian Climate Normals 1971–2000. Retrieved 23 January 2012.