Archbishop Emeritus Ancona-Osimo
|Appointed||8 January 2004|
|Installed||7 March 2004|
|Term ended||14 July 2017|
|Other posts||Cardinal-Priest of Sacri Cuori di Gesù e Maria a Tor Fiorenza (2015-)|
|Ordination||3 July 1965|
9 July 1994|
by Achille Silvestrini
14 February 2015|
by Pope Francis
|Birth name||Edoardo Menichelli|
14 October 1939|
Serripola, San Severino Marche, Macerata, Kingdom of Italy
|Previous post||Archbishop of Chieti-Vasto (1994-2004)|
|Motto||Sub lumine Matris ("In light of the Mother")|
|Coat of arms|
Ordination history of
|Reference style||His Eminence|
|Spoken style||Your Eminence|
Edoardo Menichelli (born 14 October 1939) is a prelate of the Roman Catholic Church. He served as Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Ancona-Osimo from 2004 to 2017. Pope Francis elevated him to the position of cardinal on 14 February 2015.
Edoardo Menichelli was born in Serripola in San Severino Marche in province of Macerata and the Diocese of San Severino Marche on 14 October 1939. He studied theology and philosophy at institutional seminars of San Severino Marche and Fano and then at the Pontifical Lateran University in Rome, where he obtained a licentiate in pastoral theology.
Priesthood and career
On 3 July 1965 he was ordered a priest of the Diocese of San Severino Marche. He then became assistant pastor in the parish of St. Joseph in San Severino Marche and taught religion in state schools. On 30 September 30, 1986, with the unification of the Diocese of San Severino Marche with the Archdiocese of Camerino, he was assigned to the new Archdiocese of Camerino-San Severino Marche.
From 1968 to 1991 he served in the Roman Curia in the Apostolic Signatura, then from 1992 to 1994 in the secretariat for the Congregation for the Oriental Churches, where he met the Cardinal Achille Silvestrini and became his secretary.
On 10 June 10, 1994, he was appointed by Pope John Paul II as Archbishop of Chieti-Vasto. He was consecrated bishop on 9 July in Rome by Cardinal Silvestrini, with Archbishops Antony Valentini and Piergiorgio Nesti as co-consecrators. He spent ten years in Chieti. On 8 January 2004, Pope John Paul II appointed him Archbishop of Ancona-Osimo, and he took possession of the archdiocese on 7 March. He has been secretary of the Committee for the family of the Italian Episcopal Conference and has headed committees for the family, ecumenism and the pastoral care of leisure for the Marche bishops' conference.
On 15 October 2014, on reaching his 75th birthday, he submitted his resignation as require by canon law but Pope Francis has extended the appointment for one year.
He was appointed a member of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches and of the Pontifical Council for the Pastoral of Health Care Workers.
Pope Francis accepted his resignation as archbishop on 14 July 2017.
- Larici, Letizia (14 October 2014). "Ancona, l'arcivescovo Menichelli compie 75 anni e si dimette ha consegnato la lettera al Papa". Il Messagero (in Italian). Retrieved 9 January 2015.
- "Annuncio di Concistoro per la creazione di nuovi Cardinali" (in Italian). Holy See Press Office. 4 January 2015. Retrieved 6 January 2015.
- "Consistory: list of titular church assignments". Vatican Radio. 14 February 2015. Retrieved 14 February 2015.
- "Angelo Spina nuovo arcivescovo di Ancona-Osimo, succede al cardinale Menichelli". La Stampa (in Italian). 14 July 2017. Retrieved 14 July 2017.
- Brickhaus, Hannah (30 September 2017). "Pope Francis re-names Cardinal Burke to Vatican's highest court". Catholic News Agency. Retrieved 30 September 2017.
- "Menichelli Card. Edoardo". Holy See Press Office. Archived from the original on 4 September 2017. Retrieved 30 October 2017.
|Catholic Church titles|
| Archbishop of Chieti-Vasto
| Archbishop of Ancona-Osimo
2004 - 2017
titular church established
|Cardinal Priest of Sacri Cuori di Gesu e Maria a Tor Fiorenza||Incumbent|