|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (December 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Edscha Cabrio-Dachsysteme is an oem manufacturer of automobile convertible roof systems. The company is headquartered in Hengersberg, in Lower-Bavaria in Germany. Other locations include Pontiac near Detroit in the USA; Niagara Falls in Canada; Toluca in Mexico; Coventry in England; Les Ulis near Paris in France; Cantabria in Spain; Velky Meder in Slovakia; Regensburg in Germany; Shanghai in China; Yokohama in Japan and Togliatti in Russia.
Edscha Cabrio-Dachsysteme is one of the top three convertible producers worldwide. The company has manufactured convertible systems for vehicles ranging from the Jaguar XK; Audi A3, Peugeot 207CC; BMW 3-series VHT; Smart Fortwo and the Maybach Landaulet.
Edscha has pioneered innovations including the light weight roof of the BMW Z4 with a total weight of only 24 kg, the benchmark convertible for aerodynamics and aeroacoustics the BMW 6-series with a noise level of only 62dBA at 100 km/h, the true 4-seater convertible retractable hard top and the convertible top of the Mercedes-Benz SLR with a top speed of over 340 km/h.
Edscha has develooped convertible technologies such as the foam injected insulation (BMW 6-series and Rolls-Royce), the sandwich structured composite light weight material (Smart Roadster and BMW Z8), the sliding roof (Smart Roadster and Smart ForTwo), the finned styled softtop (BMW 6-series and Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder) as well as the first and only fully functioning anti-pinch system for convertibles in the world.
Edscha Cabrio-Dachsysteme belongs to Edscha AG, which is one of the top automotive suppliers in the world according to Automobile Produktion Magazine.
In February 2009, Edscha filed for insolvency. Edscha Cabrio-Dachsysteme was separated from the Edscha AG parent and integrated into Webasto AG as a convertible system division along with the Webasto's convertible department, thus forming Webasto-Edscha Cabrio. In 2016, the launch of production in Tolyatti, Russia
Past production of roof modules
Edscha has produced roof modules for vehicles as follows:
- BMW 3-series Convertible (1985)
- BMW Z1 Roadster (1988)
- Audi 80 Convertible (softtop and hardtop) (1991)
- BMW 3-series Convertible (1993)
- Volvo C70 Convertible (1997)
- Landrover Freelander Convertible (1998)
- Audi TT Roadster (1999)
- BMW Z8 Roadster (softtop and hardtop) (1999)
- BMW 3-series Convertible (1999)
- Opel Astra Convertible (2000)
- Smart Roadster (softtop and hardtop) (2003)
- Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible (2004)
- BMW Z4 Roadster (2002)
- Mercedes-Benz / McLaren SLR Roadster (2007)
- Bentley Azure Drophead (2006)
Current production of roof modules
Edscha produced roof modules for vehicles as follows:
- BMW 6 Series Convertible (2004)
- Aston Martin DB9 Volante (2005)
- Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder (2005)
- Jaguar XK Convertible (2006)
- Audi TT Roadster (2006)
- BMW 3 Series Convertible (2007)
- Peugeot 207CC Convertible (2007)
- Smart ForTwo Cabrio (2007)
- Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead (2007)
- Audi A3 Convertible (2008)
- Maybach Landaulet (2008)
- BMW Z4 Roadster (2009)
- Alfa Romeo 8C Spider (2009)
the production has been transferred to the new company Webasto-Edscha Cabrio