This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Foto taken by Paulo Rogério
for the CD "OCTOPUS Convida"
|Birth name||Edson Lopes|
|Born||July 23, 1957|
|Origin||São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil|
|Occupation(s)||composer, musical artist|
Graduating in 1978 at the Conservatory of Musical and Dramatic Arts "Dr. Carlos de Campos", Tatuí, SP (Brazil) in classical guitar, in 2003 Edson Lopes became a Licentiate in Guitar Performance at Trinity College, London.
He has won first prize in every guitar competition that he has entered, including the "Young Instrumentalists Competition" (sponsored by Rede Globo de Televisão) and the "1st National Guitar Competition" (sponsored by Banco do Brasil). In 1979, he participated in the XXII Course of "Musica en Compostela", Spain, where, under the supervision of Andrés Segovia's assistant José Tomás, he received the "most exceptional student" award and a full scholarship for the following year.
The distinguished guitarist Maria Luisa Anido declared Edson Lopes to be an extraordinary guitarist, who astonished her with his secure technique, mastery of the instrument, delicacy of tone and delightful approach to interpretation.
Edson Lopes has performed throughout Brazil as a soloist, in duos, trios and with orchestra. As a member of the Brazilian Guitar Quartet he has performed in Houston, Dallas, Austin, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Albuquerque, Hollywood, Indianapolis, Washington DC, New York City and other large cities. In 2005 the Quartet participated in the "33rd Arts Festival" in Hong Kong, the "VII Internacional Guitar Festival" in Monterrey, Mexico and, in 2006, the "V International Guitar Festival" in the city of Aarhus, Denmark.
He has performed with the Quarteto Vivace Brasil (Flute, 2 Guitars e Percussion) in tours throughout the United States, including the cities of New York, Boston, New Orleans and San Francisco, receiving excellent reviews.
- Huerba (two guitars)
- Cantabile (four guitars)
- O Circo se foi (March) (guitar)
- Trio Opus 1 (two trombones and piano)
- Requintado (clarinet in Eb and piano)
- Canção Triste (guitar)
- Dancinha (guitar)
- Moto Perpetuo (guitar)
- Pequena Canção (guitar)
- Ligeirinho (Choro) (guitar)
- Tempo de Giga (guitar)
- Dois amigos (two guitars)
- 1984 Jesus, Alegria dos Homens (Solo)
- 1985 Prelúdio (Duo with Roberto Colchiesqui)
- 1986 Conscertando Chôro (Duo with Augusto Arruda)
- 1989 Violão e Louvor (Duo with Roberto Colchiesqui)
- 1997 Guitar in Praise (Solo)
- 1997 La Catedral (Solo)
- 1998 Diferentes Estilos (Solo)
- 2001 do Barroco ao Século XX (Solo)
- 2004 Vê se te Agrada (OCTOPUS – guitar ensemble)
- 2005 Iberia (Brazilian Guitar Quartet)
- 2006 OCTOPUS Convida (OCTOPUS – guitar ensemble)
- Edson Lopes home page, Biography
- Boston Guitar Society, Quarteto Vivace: Artists' biographies
- Conservatório de Tatuí, Staff biographies: Edson Lopes, Professor de Violão
- Del Nery, Angélica, "Lopes, Edson", Violões do Brasil, Editora Senac, 2007, p. 203
- Page on Youtube